• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. is 6-Part Theatrical Anime With New Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Not at all pleased with this film stuff. This just sunk the series for most of the people looking forward to it. I don't want to wait around 6 plus years for this thing to finish.

I guess I'll just be stuck with the new Dragon Ball for nostalgia goodness this summer. Thanks digimon. I hope it bombs.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Well... we still have Dragon Ball Super. Toei can't fudge up that right? Right?! Sad
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
And yet Dragonball is gonna get another series? Mad I'm really not happy about this I'd much rather have had a series instead of a set of movies which will take god knows how long to come out.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Going to tighten those butt cheeks, and be nice and patient. It might not be amazing, but I think it'll be something.

OMNIMON looks lovely! Why would they use such a tease? I think the digimon looks great too. The characters may take a while to get used to, because Jou looks a little scary to me. And youuuuu Yamato/Matt!

A film? I thought it was a little too flashy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Ooh, I'm sure people won't be happy about this...

"Won't be happy" is an understatement. I'm pretty pissed off about this, to be blunt.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
As the newbie to the Digimon franchise, now that this has become a film franchise (most likely akin to the GITS ARISE ovas than the NGE Rebuild tetraology), does this make licensing the films free game now? I was hoping Crunchyroll could stream the series but it seems now I will have to wait for a North American distributor to release it.

Yeah Saban has the TV rights but do they automatically get the film rights? Not a big fan of their English only boxsets but I'll take what I can get. My friend is probably spitting fire right about now... Shocked
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too concerned yet, although I was already a little worried about Tri and this hasn't completely soothed me. This has a potential to be just fine, and I'm not super attached to the sub cast since when I was a kid I watched the dub, so I'm open to the children being played by new voice actors.

I am a little worried that Toei will mess this up somehow considering what happened with Sailor Moon, but worst case scenario we'll get crappy movies, but with a flood of new merchandise (which is already happening!). It's never going to replace the original series or harm my memories of it (or how much I'm enjoying rewatching it on Netflix).

Plus, if it's a theatrical series I actually have a chance to see it in theaters, since one of my local theaters really goes out of their way to get as much anime as possible when it's released. So...fingers crossed on that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I just really hope this gets released in English, someone simply must pick this up! I'm a fan of the dub version from TV back in the day, and Joshua Seth said he'd come out of "retirement" (I mean, he's a psychic? Why?) to voice Tai again. I know a lot of the original voice actors still do work (especially miss "Every other female on South Park" and also Doraemon Mona Marshall, and Philece Sampler just did old Toph in Korra) so hopefully they'd be able to get them back (though I've not heard Jeff Nimoy or some of the others in a while, but at least they're all alive?)

Even if this is sub only, I still really want this to come out so I can buys it! Shame about the wait, I was all looking forward to this month, but darn, now it's November? Hopefully it'll have a movie schedule like Broken Blade or Towanoquon did where they release one once every other month, making the wait to see it all only a year of torture and not two or three. That seems common for most anime movie series it seems.
god45

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
my hype god killed the fact that it going to be a movie sucks why the did they say to where going to have a tv anime ? for the spring when they up and do this greedy bullshit to us toi animation your greedy liars no one should ever defend this idea or the method that was used
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Wait, I thought gatomon's japanese name was tailmon. Did they decide to keep the english name?
rusher25

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I did a Digimon Adventure marathon because I was expecting a new series in spring. Now, it turned out to be a 6 part movie!? My guess is that a tv series was the original plan but things happened and they just had to merge the episodes to make movies.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
We were told/promised that there would be a new series this spring which didn't necessarily mean it would be a TV show. However, to have it be delayed months later and then we find it will be a movie series is where I think fans have a right to be upset about.

From a licensing/business standpoint and as common courtesy, wait until everything is done for quality control.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
6 movies?!
Anyone waiting for the dub will have a long wait on their hands. I almost wish Agumon's VA had been replaced as I find him annoying in Japanese.

I'm more worried about the animation. The PV looked like it could have used more frames for some quicker movement.

And Tai has his googles back?! Could this be a subtle hint that Adventure 2 has been retconned?
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Wait, I thought gatomon's japanese name was tailmon. Did they decide to keep the english name?

Whoever put the subtitles together for the trailer probably just looked up what the characters are called in America.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Well this is disappointing. I wouldn't be surprised if this takes years to finish, but hopefully Toei will step up and deliver it much sooner. I guess I'll just try to forget about this series now. Maybe in 2020 I'll look it up and watch it then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7