• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. is 6-Part Theatrical Anime With New Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The thing that I want to happen there to be a retcon for Taiora becoming canon. Outside of being done for shippings, I'm not really one for retcons.
TheOnly

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Hello, always been that guy who reads the comment section but never made an account till now.

Anyways. Since this dropped its been all "Alphamon Ouryuken Mode vs Omegamon" crap storm on who will beat who in a Facebook page I follow.
guyor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
antasad wrote:
WH-WHAAAAA . . . . ? ? 6-part FILM series??

What I've seen in the trailer, it's like a TV Show-level animation.

I can understand if it's a seasonal-length TV anime series. But if they made it for a movie after all...

It's kind of a shame, for these 6 movies not the kind of those high-budgeted smoothly-animated movies anymore like we used to have (for the Adventure movies, at least). Now I'm affraid I won't relieve those awed and goosebumped moments when I watched Our War Game (the Japanese version!!) for the first time. Man, that was masterpiece with Mamoru Hosoda.

And it's also a waste for Uki's design. They even go with a different style for the digimon's designs. I preferred the more minimalistic and stream-lined look of Uki's like in the 2nd key visual, really go along well with the human characters.

After all those controversies they made by announcing Atsuya Uki's illustration, they should've just gone all the way with him. Make him as the animation director, for example. That key visual above really (obviously) screams his animation style.

I was actually super-excited before. This was one of my most favorited childhood anime. I'm even one of those who's happy with Uki's involvement, since I like Cencoroll.

I don't mind if it's a TV series or Film series. What I'm disappointed is they didn't go for the max. I can even be more excited for a film-series if they're aiming for Our War Game -level. If they're going for a several-part film series, they should've done it like Rebuild of Evangelion, "going for the max"-wise.

From what you're pointing on, there are other names that are less popular but you should acknowledge too.

- Hisashi Mori
- Takaaki Yamashita

They are animators who both once acted as the animation directors in Hosoda's Our War Game.

Mori later worked on the animation direction of Rainbow Fireflies (2012), a film with an animation quality which is rare for a TOEI-produced anime. Still with a familiar style from back in his working days with Hosoda.

While Yamashita, later worked again with Hosoda in Wolf Children, solo-directing for the animation.

And you also forgot Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru. While he's better known in working with Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball, he's also the overall Animation Director of Digimon Tamers, and had been designed the characters since Adventure. And another work of Mamoru Hosoda's early days, also as Animation Director: Superflat Monogram [video], which has a similar animation style with Our War Game and Summer Wars.

I personally prefer Nakatsuru than Uki. With his season 1-4 character design's style, combined with Hosoda's films style, that is the definitive Digimon Animation for me.

But still, based on your picky preferences, I think those guys are capable enough of delivering the great animation quality. Adapting Uki's design style to their animation should be no problem. And since they are also more familiar with TOEI than Uki, and still not as high-reputated (or simply 'out of reach') as Hosoda, they have more chance to take-up the position.

Just hope now they can do that to help improving tri.'s animation right for the next 5 films' production.

Last edited by guyor on Wed May 06, 2015 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
This is hilarious. Man, people get upset about silly stuff.

1) I'd be willing to bet that the 6 "films" aren't feature-length, but instead more along the lines of theatrically-released OVA episodes or shorter movies like past Digimon film productions. I mean, it could be 6 full-length movies, but that's not exactly a common format for anime releases, is it? When has anything ever done that?

2) I'm sure the cast change is disappointing for some, and it is a bit weird that they got recast when the old group has proven more than willing to come together again and considering Japan's attachment to legacy voice actors, but c'mon - unless the new ones are known to suck or something, surely it's a non-issue.

3) That animation looks...fine? The action was slick and smooth. I'll freely admit to not being a huge animation buff, but we didn't exactly get to see much, and I thought what we did see looked leagues beyond TV-quality.

4) Why the Sailor Moon Crystal comparisons? The only things that Digimon Adventure Tri and Sailor Moon Crystal have in common are things that are relatively abstract to the actual story - studio, nostalgia-driven marketing push, relation to big 90s franchises - and even those aren't really comparable circumstances (different release format, irrelevant to show quality, and a sequel rather than a remake, respectively). The important stuff, like the actual creative team, is totally different. Crystal sucking has nothing to do with this.

===========================================
Anyways, I think this looks cool. I'm not hung up enough on "canon" to care much about potential retcons (and shipping is so beside the point - it's not called "Digimon Romance" for a reason, guys), although I hope the series doesn't get especially hung up on explaining stuff away either. 6 episodes is fine, even if they're just 20 minutes or whatever. You can tell a really solid story in 6 episodes, and I actually think that something like this warrants a shorter format anyways: a nice, focused, character-driven adventure that lets us catch up with the cast as they deal with some new problem/mystery. That seemed to be what was teased, and I'm more than on board for that. I'm curious whether the central conflict or the "how they've changed" character stuff will be more at the forefront - either way, color me excited.

(I am a little bit weirded out by the choice of scripter, though - Hisaishi Saito doesn't seem to have a lot of writing credits to his name)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Had they gone what is probably the better route and have a TV show, simulcasting it could reach a larger audience. But no, Toei does this instead.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
With how Crystal's been treated, I'm much, much happier with this. Looks loads better than what I was expecting. I feel sorry for fans of the original voices, though.
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:

Obviously, since people are all different. What's important to one person may no be to another. Mind telling me some things that upset you so I can laugh at how dumb they are?

Anyway, I'm really disappointed with that cast changes. What the hell is the point in that?
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I should have worded that better - what I find silly is not so much that they are upset, but more the degree to which they are. Like, it's fine to be disappointed, but the level of reaction to this - "RUINED! DEAD FOREVER! THIS PROJECT WILL BE AWFUL!" - is completely out of proportion with the info we have. I get wanting the old cast, but how will their absence ruin the final product? There are some fantastic examples of episodic anime short films out there, including within this very franchise - why does the release format being anything other than a TV series destroy any hope that some have in this?

It all just seems like such an unnecessary (and unwarranted) gnashing of teeth. Maybe I'm just out of touch with the specific desires of the Digimon fandom.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just that I'm not super invested in Digimon to begin with but I see little here to get upset about. I mean I get being attached to the original cast but if all the characters are supposed to be teenagers now instead of little kids it makes sense to recast them. And as for it being a movie series, that just seems like a plus to me. Six movies is equivalent to anywhere from 1 to 3 seasons of TV episodes depending on the exact length. But it probably means the production values will be at least marginally higher than they would for a TV series and the staff will have more or less as much time as they need. Also I feel like a movie series is vastly less likely to fall into the formulaic monster of the week structure that most existing Digimon series do. That's a big plus for me at least. Now granted it could take a while for all six movies to come out but A) I see no reason to assume we're talking anything ridiculous like one movie a year until they actually announce this and B) A TV series could easily take a couple years as well depending on length and if they go split season.
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Whoa! This is exciting. I hope the others can finally reach MEGA level this time around{called Ultimate in japanese}.

For example, Angemon's has other Mega's to choose from aside from Seraphimon: Dominimon, SlashAngemon, and ClavisAngemon.

Togemon/Lilymon has other mega choices aside from Rosemon, like BANTYO-LILYMON.

Ikakkumon back then only had MarineAngemon for a mega choice, which looks more suited to mutant type digimon, now he has a ton more to pick from for his final evo.

Garurumon has AncientGarurumon, Z'dGarurumon, and a ton of other evos for mega.

Same for Greymon, you can't go wrong with any of his megas.

I heard Ophanimon is Gatomon's mega with ring on, and with ring off its Holydramon.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little bummed that it's not gonna be a TV series. But I'm still excited for the movies. Now I just gotta deal with the long wait before they come to the US. Sad
god45

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
I should have worded that better - what I find silly is not so much that they are upset, but more the degree to which they are. Like, it's fine to be disappointed, but the level of reaction to this - "RUINED! DEAD FOREVER! THIS PROJECT WILL BE AWFUL!" - is completely out of proportion with the info we have. I get wanting the old cast, but how will their absence ruin the final product? There are some fantastic examples of episodic anime short films out there, including within this very franchise - why does the release format being anything other than a TV series destroy any hope that some have in this?

It all just seems like such an unnecessary (and unwarranted) gnashing of teeth. Maybe I'm just out of touch with the specific desires of the Digimon fandom.
you fail to understand is that we were promised A TV SHOW FOR SPRING and even if that was not the case they should have said form THE VERY START they were going the movie route that way people would not be as upset so yeah BIG reason to be sad not only were WE lied to now we have to wait longer I will tell you this much it might of bean the fault of dragon ball super that this happen
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Okay. But you're still getting a major Digimon anniversary production, one which will undoubtedly have a higher budget than a TV show would have had, and likely a tighter story to boot.

Like, what is this attachment to the TV series format that is causing you guys to call for Toei's blood? Is it a length thing? A simulcast thing? What?

(I guess waiting a bit longer is a bummer, but the world isn't likely to end before this comes out, and delays happen all the time. If the final product is good, what do an extra few months matter?)
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
god45 wrote:
Krotchstak wrote:

you fail to understand is that we were promised A TV SHOW FOR SPRING and even if that was not the case they should have said form THE VERY START they were going the movie route that way people would not be as upset so yeah BIG reason to be sad not only were WE lied to now we have to wait longer I will tell you this much it might of bean the fault of dragon ball super that this happen

Just to note that we weren't never promised a TV series. Just an anime series!
It being a TV series was just the most probable case given the franchise. Probably that was also their first intention, but things changed.

Note how the official announcements were always vague enough to warrant changes later.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:

2) I'm sure the cast change is disappointing for some, and it is a bit weird that they got recast when the old group has proven more than willing to come together again and considering Japan's attachment to legacy voice actors, but c'mon - unless the new ones are known to suck or something, surely it's a non-issue.

It's not a "non-issue" you may not think it's important, but people grow attached to these characters and the voices that go with them and it's discouraging to hear that they've been replaced when just recently they all came back. Even Ai Maeda(Mimi) is coming back to do the ending theme again.

Krotchstak wrote:

3) That animation looks...fine? The action was slick and smooth. I'll freely admit to not being a huge animation buff, but we didn't exactly get to see much, and I thought what we did see looked leagues beyond TV-quality.

Leagues beyond TV-quality? For Digimon maybe, but I can pick 5 current anime that look better.

ikillchicken wrote:
Maybe it's just that I'm not super invested in Digimon to begin with but I see little here to get upset about. I mean I get being attached to the original cast but if all the characters are supposed to be teenagers now instead of little kids it makes sense to recast them

They were teenagers during 02 and grown adults in the epilogue. And they're all veterans I'm sure they would able to age up the characters slightly. They did it before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7