• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahirue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Rampo Kitan is someone's Death Note fanfic where Light and L team up as teen detectives with lots and lots of gay undertones and silly overdramatized stylization. I absolutely do not need satisfying or well-written mysteries in order to have a lot of fun watching this show, which is good because if the first mystery is any indication I doubt it will end up delivering any.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Ok, now that it's been a week, here's my interest level in the shows I've seen from this season, from "omg when is the next episode" to "did they draw this show on toilet paper":

1) Non Non Biyori Repeat - Is this show trying to make every other slice of life show look terrible by comparison? If so, mission accomplished.

2) School-Live! - This was a fairly strong adaptation of the manga's first chapter. It looks like the anime's plot will be wildly different from the manga (spoiler[Mii-kun]), which should keep even the most die-hard fans on their toes.

3) Tribe Cool Crew - I wonder if Sentai Filmworks knew that this show was going to be 50+ episodes when they licensed it. It feels like this is going to be the final arc, which is good, because I don't know if the story is strong enough to support a fifth coeur.

4) Gatchaman CROWDS Insight - Hajime's back to tell us all how to think and stuff. Also, was "there must be a dart board in every room" part of Joe's contract with city hall? Seriously Joe, we get it, you're cool, you can put the darts away.

5) Dragon Ball Super - Initially I thought, "why does this show even exist?", but the first episode was fun, and way better than the first episode of GT. I'm on board.

6) Castle Town Dandelion - I'm concerned that this show is going to go down the brocon/siscon route... if it does, I'll probably lose all interest.

7) Gate - This anime series is not for me.

8) Million Doll - The manga deserved a far better adaptation than this.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
Wow Shimoneta episode 2 has actually upped the sexual comedy this time around. Also some nice nostalgia moments as well. I am really liking that the show has varying degrees of lewdness and sexual comedy. Makes me wonder how many characters are going to join the rebels seeing how much fun Blue Snow is having.

The OP seems to suggest the painter(voiced by Satomi Arai, because who else?) girl is going to join the main cast. Maybe a bunch of un-important back-ground characters later on?

Ahirue wrote:
Rampo Kitan is someone's Death Note fanfic where Light and L team up as teen detectives with lots and lots of gay undertones and silly overdramatized stylization. I absolutely do not need satisfying or well-written mysteries in order to have a lot of fun watching this show, which is good because if the first mystery is any indication I doubt it will end up delivering any.

If you ignore the personalities, it actually kinda reminded me off Hannibal
Mr.Gekiga009

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
would it be crazy to think that prison school is a manga parallel to Dadaistic art? at least if this at the bottom from the preview review is true

[zac wrote] This is based on the manga by Akira Hiramoto, which, as the story goes, created the manga out of spite after a lukewarm reaction to his dramatically more sophisticated and literary work, Me and the Devil Blues.[/quote]
addiemon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Ahirue wrote:
Rampo Kitan is someone's Death Note fanfic where Light and L team up as teen detectives with lots and lots of gay undertones and silly overdramatized stylization.

Funimation should use this as their box quote.
billybob8476

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Tribe Cool Crew - I wonder if Sentai Filmworks knew that this show was going to be 50+ episodes when they licensed it. It feels like this is going to be the final arc, which is good, because I don't know if the story is strong enough to support a fifth coeur.

I'm pretty happy with how long it has lasted. It has been a fun show to watch even though it's made for younger kids.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:01 am Reply with quote
Ahirue wrote:
Rampo Kitan is someone's Death Note fanfic where Light and L team up as teen detectives with lots and lots of gay undertones and silly overdramatized stylization.

So it's basically just Death Note?
Hidders

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, such language.... Hope Chapman really needs to censor her reviews a little before posting. There should not be a need to swear in a public review no matter how enraged the first episode made you. Even if it seems unlikely that kids might be reading reviews for shows like Junjou Romantica 3 or Prison School, kids are kids and curiosity is only a click away.
Ahirue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
So it's basically just Death Note?

Death Note as teenagers! But yes basically. Laughing
Random 21

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
Hidders wrote:
Wow, such language.... Hope Chapman really needs to censor her reviews a little before posting. There should not be a need to swear in a public review no matter how enraged the first episode made you. Even if it seems unlikely that kids might be reading reviews for shows like Junjou Romantica 3 or Prison School, kids are kids and curiosity is only a click away.

In regards to both of those shows the language in the review is the last thing you should be worried about kids seeing
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Watched the first three minutes from the second episode of Shimoneta, and then dropped the series because of the depicted crossdressing. Not even going to touch Prison School.

Last edited by Hyperdrve on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
JONJONAUG wrote:
Prison School feels like what the sex comedies of the 70s should have become, rather than what we have today. It's more readily comparable to stuff like Go Nagai's "Kekko Kamen" in its way over the top slapstick, gross out humor, and complete nonsense plot rather than anything else that you see get an anime these days.

I'll agree with the comparison to Kekko Kamen, but only to a point. Where the two differ dramatically is that, as tasteless as it sometimes was, KK at least still had a sense of fun do it. PS doesn't. A better comparison would, as someone else mentioned, be Azazel-san, but I at least found that one tolerable.

I also disagree that this is unlike anime programming seen in recent years. There are actually plenty of anime released over the past decade which have used at least some elements of what's seen here, but PS uses them in more concentrated, demeaning, and mean-spirited form. I could very definitely believe that this was created as a backlash to something else.

Quote:
I don't think it's a "parody" of anything really. Personally I think that the things that constitute an actually good sex comedy show are so rare these days that people are surprised by something that comes along and actually hits all the right notes in its presentation, rather than the typical stuff that you get from something like To-Love-Ru Darkness or trash light novel adaptations. If it feels like a parody then that's because you aren't used to something that just throws caution to the wind not caring what you think of it, or you're not used to something that has the goal of "this is really funny and also sexual" rather than "this is really sexual and also funny".

Your logic here only works if something - anything! - in the first episode is actually funny. Even if I conceded that, I still don't see PS as doing anything significantly different than other fan service shows as far as making the sexual elements a kicker to the humor rather than the other way around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also disagree that this is unlike anime programming seen in recent years. There are actually plenty of anime released over the past decade which have used at least some elements of what's seen here, but PS uses them in more concentrated, demeaning, and mean-spirited form. I could very definitely believe that this was created as a backlash to something else.

I don't think it was created as a backlash to something. The original manga is serialized in Kodansha's Young Magazine. These kind of seinen magazines often contain satires with crass sexual humor and semi-realistic art styles, like the one's from Tetsuya Kobayashi or Masakazu Yamaguchi. It is, however, rare that such manga get a TV adaption these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't buy for a second that PS is intended as satire or parody. It is just taking what is normally a brief side joke in fan service-oriented anime - i.e., a guy getting brutally punished (whether fairly or not) by a girl for being perverted - and making it the focal point of the anime.

So, basically, it's a whole series centered on what I typically find to be the least funny kind of joke in fan service series. Now that I've had time to think about it more, I think that is where my strong negative reaction to the episode is really coming from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
God Eater: 2 / 5. The plot screams "Videogame" for all the parts of its body, but not in a good way, it feels like you've watched a training/tutorial part and a stage mission. But whatever, I was expecting that, I only saw this because I wanted to see cool battles with Ufotable Animation. Aaaand...

... eugh. I don't like this animation at all: The characters look wrong (those white lines, those flats colors that look too 3D [I'm not even sure if they are, but it's uncanny], and their movements who go from super static to super weird fluid in a moment; they lood cut-outs from other universe), awkward frame-rate, the pacing with those constant "slooow moootion-FASTMOTION-slooow motion-FASTMOTION-etc." (and with sound in the fast motion) is annoying as hell and it looks a desperate attempt to awaken you, and the fights didn't look that great, dynamic or hooking except in some individual shots, but it it's not the whole scene then it's not very enjoyable. Overall it wasn't even very entertained, so not following this.

So I guess this is the last show. I'm not very optimistic so far: From the shows I was interested from the first episode (Laplace, Rokka, Snow White, Gangsta and Durarara) Laplace disappointed me with its second, Rokka's second one was also weak, Gangsta is too low-key and slow for my tastes, and Durarara (while better than before) still have some directing issues that keep me from enjoy and right now it's when I start getting tired of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 45 of 48