• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. TV Channel Chiller Runs Anime Block on Wednesdays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
not a good selective. maybe they are just cheap.
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
Chiller only plays Buffy and Twilight Zone reruns, guys. It's not a channel that has any money or plays original programming or anything. Seriously, they can't even afford crappy movie reruns most of the time. This is a major get for them.
Yuki Imouto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
I hope Syfy gets anime back!
I really want Syfy get Robotics:Notes,Guilty Crown,Psycho Pass,Corpse Princess and Yona Of The Dawn. Please Syfy! Stop with the Sharknados and Bring Back Ani-Monday!
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
According to TV by the Numbers, only a third of all American households get Chiller.

Some of those shows would have been good choices for Toonami back in the day, but the window of opportunity has long since passed. At least they're now getting a chance, however small it may be.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention the Devil May Cry anime isn't that bad either. I mean it's canonically between dmc 3 and 4 on the timeline. Plus it's animated by Madhouse.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Me: "Wow, cool, there's anime on TV again! And they picked a pretty quirky bunch of shows, too."

Comments: "God, this is garbage, they should have picked what I wanted them to, hope this gets canned."

Me: *backs away slowly*

What are the chances that most of the people making these criticisms don't even watch TV these days let alone learn anything about the TV business?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Black Blood Brothers was a surprisingly fun little anime, and seems a decent enough fit for US broadcast. Is This A Zombie? is certainly an... interesting choice. I imagine the sure novelty of it might manage to grab it some fans, and it can be pretty funny at times.

The other choices I'm not personally familiar with. Regardless though, it seems like Chiller really could have handled this announcement a bit better in order to get the word out more before the premieres.
DMCMaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
You mean that channel that always seems to play reruns of Beyond Belief?

Might check it out to help give it some ratings
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks to this news, I realized I have this channel. Devil May Cry and BBB are my favorites of the block. Hope it succeeds till the end of the shows and hopefully they'll add more shows after their run.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
@Felicity dash & itachi06103570
Please do not over quote. Reposting the large pic is not necessary.

Teh Rules wrote:
6. Do not excessively quote. If you are responding to a single idea, quote only that relevant part.

Over-quoting guidelines
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Cool! Didn't see this coming. I gotta note this for next week since I saw it too late.

I'm up for watching them. Devil May Cry and BBB were pretty good (and DMC got back Dante's VA which was awesome) and Tokyo Majin was pretty weird and crazy even if confusing, I remember liking it's unique art style. I don't think I ever quite finished BBB too so this might be a good time.

Yuki Imouto wrote:
I really want Syfy get Robotics:Notes,Guilty Crown,Psycho Pass,Corpse Princess and Yona Of The Dawn. Please Syfy! Stop with the Sharknados and Bring Back Ani-Monday!

Yeah! They finally have some scifi shows running again so that'd be nice too. It was great seeing stuff like Gundam 00 and Gurren Lagann get on there last time.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
I have DirecTV and it's on channel 257.

Only stayed up to watch Is this a Zombie? and DVR'ed the rest. The first show had its moments, but I think I'll give it an episode or two before deciding whether to continue watching.

Quote:
Also, why can't these channels ever run Japanese as a second audio option?

The channel doesn't seem to have a SAP option.

Quote:
Pft. There are no subtitles for songs and text for Is This a Zombie. Even if the viewer can guess what Eucliwood is writing based on how everyone else responds, I would think it's very essential that people know exactly what she's writing...

Yeah, it looks like the distributor forgot to include that. Adult Swim used to have this issue years ago when they ran Paranoia Agent.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
The lineup doesnt seem that bad to me but the only show I have seen even a little of is is This a Zombie?
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
So all FUNimation shows. More anime on TV isn't a bad thing I guess, and those appear to be good choices.

especially for a horror channel like chiller.

however unless it had the same standard and practices as IFC where their shows are unedited and uncensored (and to be honest,Adult Swim should try getting their S&P the same for their block) & not like its sister channel SciFI (Scify) a lot of people wont bother with this block unless their showing a brand new series. what's the point on watching some of these older series when their gonna be massively edited.especially series like DMC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
I'm just curious how Is this a Zombie made it in there. It has monsters in it, which fits for Chiller, but it is decidedly out of the normal context for that network. I almost wonder if Funimation didn't just throw it in on a list of shows with monsters without any expectation that Chiller would actually take it.

I should be more excited for any anime on TV, but considering I've seen three of these shows, own two of them, and have a Funimation streaming subscription which can be used to watch the one I haven't seen, there isn't a lot of incentive for me to add to my cable bill for this.

Yuki Imouto wrote:
!

That would be nice since I actually have that channel. I took a quick look to confirm what I thought, and Chiller is part of NBCUniveral which also includes Syfy, so it is possible that this could be treated as a test case. Also, with the recent distribution deal between Universal and Funimation, maybe Universal will be fairly receptive to anime on TV. I don't think it is a coincidence that not long after that deal is announced we see a small block of just Funimation shows on a Universal network.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5