• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warners' Live-Action Death Note Film Casts Nat Wolff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
If it happens to be good, then watch it in the theaters. There will be plenty of time to read the reviews and then decide whether you want the experience to be in the theater or on TV.

I would argue that even if by some miracle it isn't a complete trainwreck, we shouldn't watch it if supporting it has the potential to bring about more adaptions from manga and anime.

This is the wrong attitude to have. I don't want to exclude anyone from manga or anime. If good adaptations are made and it makes people check out the source material, and then they check out more anime/manga, it'll make me quite happy as a fan.

I'm fairly confident in this adaptation. Death Note is probably the one manga that is impossible to completely screw up. I think it could make a great mid-budget genre film.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
If it happens to be good, then watch it in the theaters. There will be plenty of time to read the reviews and then decide whether you want the experience to be in the theater or on TV.

I would argue that even if by some miracle it isn't a complete trainwreck, we shouldn't watch it if supporting it has the potential to bring about more adaptions from manga and anime.

You actually believe that. It should be a good thing that hollywood wants to do adaptions of anime. It shows that it isn't some niche thing that only weirdos like. We should embrace because they will do a good adaption at some point. The rumors of Christopher Nolan doing Akira as a trilogy should excite everyone. You should hope the Death Note Adaption does well with critics, fans, and the industry.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
"Jeremy Slater (Fantastic Four) penned the most recent draft of the script."

This is the line that has reduced my confidence in this film.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
This is the wrong attitude to have. I don't want to exclude anyone from manga or anime. If good adaptations are made and it makes people check out the source material, and then they check out more anime/manga, it'll make me quite happy as a fan.

I'm fairly confident in this adaptation. Death Note is probably the one manga that is impossible to completely screw up. I think it could make a great mid-budget genre film.

I would be excited for any Hollywood adaption of anime/manga if it meant the series name would remain untouched.

I mean, I've been across lots of forums on the internet where people think badly of Dragon Ball for the failed adaption. Just look at books like Eragon, Alex Rider, The Golden Compass, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, etc. They're forever in the limbo state of "unprofitability". Furthermore, upon hearing that Scarlett Johansson will be cast as Motoko Kusanagi in a film directed by DreamWorks... No. I don't think people will be eager to check out the source material of a movie they were disappointed in.

XChampion wrote:

You actually believe that. It should be a good thing that hollywood wants to do adaptions of anime. It shows that it isn't some niche thing that only weirdos like. We should embrace because they will do a good adaption at some point. The rumors of Christopher Nolan doing Akira as a trilogy should excite everyone. You should hope the Death Note Adaption does well with critics, fans, and the industry.

Okay, Christopher Nolan is on my soft side, so I'd love any adaption directed by him. But anything else is a huge leap of faith.

My point is that the chances of it being a terrible movie is WAY higher than it being a good one. I know lots of people that look at Avatar: The Last Airbender (even though it's not anime) as being obscure because the film is so infamous. So in my opinion, generally speaking, Hollywood adaptions are nothing to invest in.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen him as Isaac, which was kind of the oposite of light. Hopefully he has a broad range.

Also, just throwing it out there that the title of the first film is The Fault in Our Stars, not The Fault in Your Stars.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm more surprised that anything is actually happening with this. I knew there were some early plans, but not hearing of any progress and the fact that Death Note isn't nearly the hot property it once was led me to believe that Warner quietly lost interest.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Yeah, that is a bit of doom and gloom there. Can't disagree with you at all.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Yup, Zac hits the nail on the head.

The casting won't matter if they have a terrible scriptwriter. That is a bad sign for this film.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

He also wrote (The Lazarus Effect) which was not a good movie either. I've said it before but Adam Wingard is a really good director. The Guest was my favorite movie of 2014 and I've seen it literally a dozen times. It's that good.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I just read this on Wikipedia:

Quote:
In July 2012, Slater was hired to write the script for the 2015 Fantastic Four film. After the film was released in August 2015, Slater commented that a lot of what he wrote was not in the finished film (particularly his version of the first act), but that he'll "always be honored that [he] got to play in such a cool sandbox."

Slater's original version of the script for Fantastic Four included the villains Galactus, Dr. Doom and Mole Man, with Dr. Doom as a Latverian dictator, not as the anti-social programmer he was portrayed as in the finished film.

This guy doesn't even have an iMDB page. It's quite sad too that people should judge him based on one failure of a movie that can't even have its blame entirely put on him.

Greed1914 wrote:
I'm more surprised that anything is actually happening with this. I knew there were some early plans, but not hearing of any progress and the fact that Death Note isn't nearly the hot property it once was led me to believe that Warner quietly lost interest.

Which for me is the only upside: having its own Hollywood adaption makes it appear more "relevant" than it seems to be nowadays.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Lol i remember that guy

Mod note: slur removed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I wish they would keep in Japan and have it be played by Japanese/Japanese-American actors & actresses.

I don't care if the WB wants to cast famous American celebritiesso it sells, I would much rather watch a box office flop that was faithful to the manga than a box-office hit that uses American celebrities.
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll hold off judgment until we see the trailer for this.

Overall, I want to be optimistic about this. Actor aside, amazing team of producers on board so far. If the premise stays the same and the storytelling is cohesive (despite any changes), like how All You Need is Kill/Edge of Tomorrow was handled, it might be a good movie in the end.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
So...America is going to find out what a Shinigami is? Or will that character be completely cut out because it's too Japanese? Rolling Eyes
GEO9875

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
So...America is going to find out what a Shinigami is? Or will that character be completely cut out because it's too Japanese? Rolling Eyes
maybe they will just localized it to ''grim reaper ''
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6