• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Does Old Anime Get Remastered?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I personally would love to see the early digipaint shows get an updated facelift. It would be an easier task in a logistic sense since the studios don't have to go on an adventure looking for the lost cels.

Not digipaint, but another excellent remaster would be Martian Successor Nadesico. I'd put it on the same level as CCS's and Lodoss in overall quality. For those who want to relive this classic and those who're curious, I highly recommend the remaster.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
One Piece was always animated digitally, save for the first movie and the original Jump OVA. It started being animated in HD with episode 206 in 2007, also earlier than most anime.

And then there's shows like InuYasha that were cel-animated in the beginning, but switched to digital part-way through. The first half of that show would greatly benefit from an HD remaster, but the second half wouldn't. The Final Act episodes were the only ones animated digitally in HD.

It looks like cel animation(admittedly it is hard to tell the difference between flat paint and solid digital colour), it has the same look as the first Movie as well. It seems weird that Inuyasha would be on cels and not One Piece when the former came out at a later date, even if it is a different studio. To my knowledge, the only show from the 90s to be done with Digital Ink and Paint Serial Experiments Lain.

The early One Piece episodes are definitely still digital. It looks WAY too smooth and clean to be animated with cels/film. As NJ_ pointed out, Toei was using digital animation for TV pretty early on with shows like Digimon. The first One Piece movie was cel animated probably because they still hadn't figured out how to make digital work for them with a theatrical presentation. There was a long transitionary period in both anime and western animation where we were seeing a mix of both cel and digital. Cowboy Bebop is a good example. The 1998 TV show was mostly cel-animated, with some digital effects/sequences, but a few later 1999 episodes were entirely digital. The movie in 2001 was still cel-animated with 35mm film. The very first digitally animated anime was, I believe Blue Submarine No. 6 in 1998. It was not an overnight switch.

Also keep in mind that Inuyasha was one of the very last shows to make the switch for some reason. It did it in 2003. Though even that show already had some digital effects/sequences, even in the 99 cel-animated episodes. Pokemon also switched pretty late, in 2002 (about 10 episodes from the end of Master Quest and the original series), though it's movies continued to be cel-animated until Ranger and the Temple of the Sea, all the way in 2006!
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I personally would love to see the early digipaint shows get an updated facelift. It would be an easier task in a logistic sense since the studios don't have to go on an adventure looking for the lost cels.

Some digital shows such as Manabi Straight, Kannagi, Gurren Lagann, and parts of Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny have been lucky enough to get re-composited in HD. I wish more could get this treatment, but it probably depends on whether the original files are still available or not.

Quote:
Not digipaint, but another excellent remaster would be Martian Successor Nadesico. I'd put it on the same level as CCS's and Lodoss in overall quality. For those who want to relive this classic and those who're curious, I highly recommend the remaster.

I wasn't that impressed, it's got fairly noticeable aliasing/jaggies like the Sentai release of the Patlabor TV.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
Buster D wrote:
Some digital shows such as Manabi Straight, Kannagi, Gurren Lagann, and parts of Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny have been lucky enough to get re-composited in HD. I wish more could get this treatment, but it probably depends on whether the original files are still available or not.

I've only seen the Seed and Seed Destiny remasters and while the effort was there to polish the original, there were quite glaring anomalies. Inconsistent splicing in between the old and new animations and using original SD resolutions for several scenes were the most jarring.

Buster D wrote:
I wasn't that impressed, it's got fairly noticeable aliasing/jaggies like the Sentai release of the Patlabor TV.

Not gonna deny that, but the remaster was very bright and vibrant which makes for a proper watch on my HDTV. I can live with a few rough edges happening from here and there since I sit far enough away to not notice those too much.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
The poster child for the digital transition is Mahoromatic since the original series in 2001 was cel animated, while the sequel a year later was digital. Princess Mononoke also stands out, since in the extras they talk about having to use digipaint for part of it due to time constraints.

Gonzo as a studio neatly encapsulates the SD digipaint era; all their shows are digipaint (often blended with CG) and, up until their bankruptcy in 2009, their (TV*) shows are all trapped firmly in upscale land.

* I remember Brave Story (2006) coming out on BD, although the super-duper edition I got was DVD-only (IIRC the BD didn't have subtitles either, and I didn't have a BD player anyway) so that was probably done in HD? I'm not sure about Gin-iro/Origin either (the BD came out a couple of years after the DVD in Japan, and I again only have it on DVD).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The poster child for the digital transition is Mahoromatic since the original series in 2001 was cel animated, while the sequel a year later was digital. Princess Mononoke also stands out, since in the extras they talk about having to use digipaint for part of it due to time constraints.

The most jarring transition between cel animation and digipaint I can recall is the one between the Saber Marionette J TV series and the Saber Marionette J Again OVA. I addition to garish digital colors that were much brighter than the TV series's subdued palette, that OVA had some terrible digital morphing effects that already looked terrible back then.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Gonzo as a studio neatly encapsulates the SD digipaint era; all their shows are digipaint (often blended with CG) and, up until their bankruptcy in 2009, their (TV*) shows are all trapped firmly in upscale land.

* I remember Brave Story (2006) coming out on BD, although the super-duper edition I got was DVD-only (IIRC the BD didn't have subtitles either, and I didn't have a BD player anyway) so that was probably done in HD? I'm not sure about Gin-iro/Origin either (the BD came out a couple of years after the DVD in Japan, and I again only have it on DVD).

Wasn't Samurai 7 native HD, too?
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I've only seen the Seed and Seed Destiny remasters and while the effort was there to polish the original, there were quite glaring anomalies. Inconsistent splicing in between the old and new animations and using original SD resolutions for several scenes were the most jarring.

True, but again that could be due to the source material. They did completely re-animate a good bit of it as well, so parts left in SD were probably deemed not important enough or too expensive to re-do (like the 3DCG stuff).
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-11576.html

And then there's the part where they got their left and right messed up for how the Strike Gundam was holding its sword in a crucial scene, making a certain ZAFT pilot look like he just ran into the sword...
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-10500.html
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Jonathan Clements on the grave sites of closed anime studios, cels as waste, digital anime (1) and (2), and Sazae-san's non-transition to digital.

NJ_ wrote:
First I've heard of this, any screencaps? I ask because unlike their TV shows, Toei usually gives their movies proper HD remasters and with two exceptions (all 3 of Galaxy Express 999 (which were heavily DNR'd)

"Do not resuscitate"? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3