• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix in Final Talks to Produce Live-Action Death Note Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
A live action Hollywood Death Note could be great if they have the right staff an Awesome director and a fantastic cast but what are the odds of that happening in this day and age? however I feel that Netflix is a better choice than Warner Bros.

Who knows if Netflix gets the Job done right with Death Note Amazon might respond with a live action Attack on Titan movie. Wink

Well frankly, I don't think it's a smart idea to release movies this way. They are not as immersive and don't generate nearly as much revenue as it should. Let's put this in persepctive. As the article says, this Death Note movie costs between $40-50 million. That's about how much it cost to make The Interview. And as much as that movie was streamed, it still only made $12 million, which means Sony lost at least $33-38 million on the movie (to actually make money, it would have to make $80-100 million). This film will never get as much publicity as that one, so it will surely be a box office bomb.

To make it successful, it would be MUCH better to release it in theaters, which are more accessible and give off a better vibe. This is especially true for something like an Attack on Titan movie, which will probably cost over $100 million to make while also making it look, you know - GOOD COMPARED TO THE JAPANESE ONE. (btw I would love a Hollywood AOT film)

Last edited by Gemnist on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Former Warner project

The key word here, like most made-for-Netflix movies, is "Former".
Like the Adam Sandler movie that was formerly at Sony.
And the Little Prince movie that Paramount was formerly going to distribute.
And the North Korea stoner-comedy that was formerly going to play theaters.

We're so blinded by Daredevil (NPI), that we keep forgetting that Netflix is only a distributor, and pretty much scavenges its titles, or at least in that the Weinsteins aren't around any more to swoop in on it, but Lionsgate is circling for the kill.
I'm giving it one more year till we catch on, and stop ooh'ing and aah'ing every time Netflix announces they've picked up some dropped project.

As to why Warner dropped it (besides budget or delays or one more loss of director or star), that's another whole discussion, but if the fans are saying "We don't need one more!", what are the non-fans at Warner saying?
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
$40-50 mil for a Death Note adaptation? That seems really high to me. The only reason I could see that kind of budget justified is if they want the CGI to make Ryuk look really freakin' impressive.

Yeah, I thought it seemed a little high too. All I can guess is that they are going to throw in a little more action than the TV series had.

Gemnist wrote:

Well frankly, I don't think it's a smart idea to release movies this way. They are not as immersive and don't generate nearly as much revenue as it should. Let's put this in persepctive. As the article says, this Death Note movie costs between $40-50 million. That's about how much it cost to make The Interview. And as much as that movie was streamed, it still only made $12 million, which means Sony lost at least $33-38 million on the movie (to actually make money, it would have to make $80-90 million). This film will never get as much publicity as that one, so it will surely be a box office bomb.

To make it successful, it would be MUCH better to release it in theaters, which are more accessible and give off a better vibe. This is especially true for something like an Attack on Titan movie, which will probably cost over $100 million to make while also making it look, you know - GOOD COMPARED TO THE JAPANESE ONE. (btw I would love a Hollywood AOT film)

Does the article say anything about it NOT getting a theatrical release?
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
I'm totally down for a Death Note movie, I think its the kinda story that could work anywhere really.

There is one tiny, little tidbit in this article that I dont think anyone is really attaching to though. If you notice, it says the person who penned the draft for this movie, is the guy who wrote last year's Fantastic Four movie. THAT raises a big red flag for me!

I'm down for a movie, but you get a writer with some credibility on this!! Ya don't need the guy whose only two major credits are Fantastic Four and the Lazarus Effect
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
I'm totally down for a Death Note movie, I think its the kinda story that could work anywhere really.

There is one tiny, little tidbit in this article that I dont think anyone is really attaching to though. If you notice, it says the person who penned the draft for this movie, is the guy who wrote last year's Fantastic Four movie. THAT raises a big red flag for me!

I'm down for a movie, but you get a writer with some credibility on this!! Ya don't need the guy whose only two major credits are Fantastic Four and the Lazarus Effect

Yeah, I was at least mildly interested in the project before, but when I noticed that in the article, I became VERY concerned. Is he the guy who prided himself on not reading any Fantastic Four before making that movie, or was that someone else?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:
I don't see the appeal of live action films for series like this. Even going super rushed, you couldn't really cover (well) up to say, episode 25 of the anime.

You don't have to. There have been plenty of well-acclaimed adaptations of novels that cover way more story than Death Note.

Lostlorn Forest wrote:
I like Nat Wolff's casting as Light, but I still hope this flops. This and Ghost in the Shell. Any expedition into new territory ultimately for the sake of money is going nowhere good.

Well, it either doing it for the money or your company goes bankrupt. That's business.

Ambimunch wrote:
I hope this dies before it happens. I had enough with Western companies doing shitty anime movies. This genre doesn't work in live action, hence it's called anime. Leave it alone and stop embarrassing yourselves.

That's what comic book fans were saying until quality superhero movies started popping up.
Isinfier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
There's certainly room for live-action adaptations of anime; within reason. Treating every newly announced adaptation like it's as ridiculous as Kill la Kill or Gurren Lagann is, to put it bluntly, pure idiocy.

At the end of the day it comes down to a handful of things; competent direction, writing, acting and support from the cast and crew. Not to mention casting appropriately for x and y roles.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Well, it either doing it for the money or your company goes bankrupt. That's business.

There is definitely more passion put into work by animators than by writers/directors who can be so easily replaced if they don't want to work on a project anymore. Also I don't think they're exactly grabbing at lint just yet, they're aiming at anime to be more innovative, to appeal to a new audience, to make more money. This is an oncoming trainwreck and I'm not near in sight of the tracks. Laughing
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Well frankly, I don't think it's a smart idea to release movies this way. They are not as immersive and don't generate nearly as much revenue as it should. Let's put this in persepctive. As the article says, this Death Note movie costs between $40-50 million. That's about how much it cost to make The Interview. And as much as that movie was streamed, it still only made $12 million, which means Sony lost at least $33-38 million on the movie (to actually make money, it would have to make $80-90 million). This film will never get as much publicity as that one, so it will surely be a box office bomb.

Does the article say anything about it NOT getting a theatrical release?

If it's Netflix, then it will be stream only. They're a streaming service first and foremost, so it will be a Netflix exclusive, just like Beasts of No Nation and The Ridiculous 6 (both of which were commercial flops, although the former was at least a good movie).
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
For all the people who want this to bomb, I have two things to say:

1. Don't like it, don't watch it. You people seem to already have your minds made up before we even have a trailer.

2. Whine and moan all you like. You know you're going to see it anyway. This is why we have a fifth "Transformers" movie on the way.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
2. Whine and moan all you like. You know you're going to see it anyway. This is why we have a fifth "Transformers" movie on the way.

No, we have a fifth Transformers movie because of the internationally successful toyline, a commercial approach at adapting a classic anime, and because Michael Bay is a blockhead. Also Dragon Ball: Evolution says "Hi" LOL
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
Anime fans always find a way to bitch about something regarding western live-action film adaptions even though the Japanese themselves aren't any better at them either. It's almost as if it doesn't matter where a film is made. All films this early on still have the potential to be good.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
I misread and thought it said "TV Series." Shit.

I really would prefer this being a Netflix TV series than just a movie. Deathnote has always felt more like a television piece than a film...or an anime, for that matter. I mean honestly, if it weren't for Ryuk and the other Shinigami(?) floating around, this wouldn't even need CGI or animation. It's mostly a story about an arrogant psychopath who kills people with a book; take out the CGI'd centerpieces, you pretty much have the same story.

Besides which, Netflix has been killing it with all the original series. Daredevil, House of Cards, Jessica Jones, Bojack Horseman, F is for Family (fudge you, I love Bill Burr!), they should really just stick to TV series than big budget movies. (The less said of Fuller Shithouse, the better)
kpk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Nat Wolff?

Grrrrrrr.... Wrost casting ever. What happened to Zac Efron?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Nat Wolff?

Grrrrrrr.... Wrost casting ever. What happened to Zac Efron?

Age.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3