• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beholder242

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
My very first exposure to this series was about a month ago when I happened to be stuck in a hotel room for two days and the only interesting thing on the TV was Animax. I caught episode 15(?) during this time, whichever episode it was when Seigen basically told Rokuro and Benio they were useless as exorcists and kicked them out of Magano. (By the way, Seigen, with the bags under his eyes is probably one of the more unique character designs I've seen.) Since then I subscribed to Crunchyroll to dive deeper into the shows I got glimpses of during those two days, including Twin Star Exorcists. I have not read the manga, so I mostly went into the show cold.

This is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite shows, mostly due to the supernatural themes, but the mix of romance and comedy on top of it. James wrote in his review, "The carefully crafted and thoughtfully developed rapport that Benio and Rokuro share is one of the most compelling anime romances I've seen in a long time." I completely agree with this and I for one can't wait to see where it leads by the end of the show's run. (50-ish episodes? YAY!) For me, this recent battle with Yuto and all of the consequences have seriously upped the ante in all respects. Someone, might have been James, also had some seriously high praise for Benio's VA and I second it.

For someone who has read the manga, though, maybe you could tell me this: What is the full extent of the damage to Benio's legs? It was hard to tell and I may have to rewatch it, but were her legs just crushed or were they ripped off by Yuto? Is she wheelchair-bound for good, or is she like Rokuro and has otherwise normal legs?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
^Here's Hameyadea's post from page eight with links that show that

Hameyadea wrote:
Something that I noticed about the episode, up until now all the attack/spell names were in Japanese, but now their "Resonance" versions were in English.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
It seemed like the camera avoided showing Benio's legs. Were they suppose to have been blown off?

Yeah. I was curious about that myself (haven't read the manga), and they were.
beholder242

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for pointing that out!

zrnzle500 wrote:
^Here's Hameyadea's post from page eight with links that show that

Hameyadea wrote:
Something that I noticed about the episode, up until now all the attack/spell names were in Japanese, but now their "Resonance" versions were in English.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
It seemed like the camera avoided showing Benio's legs. Were they suppose to have been blown off?

Yeah. I was curious about that myself (haven't read the manga), and they were.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
WeNTuS wrote:
Well, do they really need a marriage? They can have, uhm, sex, without special relations

When you consider what happened when Izanagi and Izanami didn't perform their marriage quite "correctly" (she greeted him first, which is a no-no), it's probably a good idea if they're properly married before spawning the miko who'll save the world. Smile
Humble1ne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Loved this show from the very beginning I thought the monsters could use better animation and they did get better Very Happy ... Also Benio's and Rokuro's relationship is just as bad ass as Kirito and Asuna. I definitely recommend this anime to watch.
beholder242

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Is the manga still in progress, or did it reach a conclusion?
ProlificSky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:
Is the manga still in progress, or did it reach a conclusion?

The manga is still in progress (monthly release), and from where it's currently at, I suspect has much more to go. For all the viewers that are enjoying the anime adaptation so far, or heck, are still reluctantly watching to see where it goes, I highly suggest the manga. There's no "filler", though some of the anime filler eps have done a better job at fleshing out side chars like Mayura, and the art is consistently good. I have to agree with the reviewer about the core of the series being about the relationship between Rokuro and Benio and the manga continues to build upon it.

I believe the manga is better at this point in being a more focused experience, but the anime has definitely added some nice touches to it. Consider the anime a companion piece to the manga (I could still do without Kinako though Anime hyper). I highly recommend people read and/or watch this series, for despite its generic shounen trappings, it has a real beating heart.

Oh, and for those who don't mind a spoiler pic <3:
spoiler[ It finally happened! http://img.bato.to/comics/2016/07/29/t/read579baedb4fe49/img000031.png]
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
WeNTuS wrote:
Well, do they really need a marriage? They can have, uhm, sex, without special relations

Yeah, but they specifically say marriage.
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:01 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
WeNTuS wrote:

Yeah, but they specifically say marriage.

If I know my prophecies, they must be fulfilled to the letter! To the letter dammit!

No but seriously, even if the baby was here RIGHT NOW there's no way it's doing anything until at least a couple years later even if it's some super toddler prodigy kegare-exorcist hybrid Messiah, it still needs to be able to walk first. First steps, then straight to exorcism. We can cut out kindergarten. Baby shower will basically be "Talismans R' Us" and mini battle garbs complete with onesies..
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
It's weird to see toddler Rokuro in ratty exorcist clothes when he was actually buck naked. It suggests that he ran from Magano exorcist school or something when's he actually just a complete enigma.

Aside from that, the kid was cute and the timeskip designs were done well, so I'm satisfied. Knock me out of the park with this new Basara teased in the preview and I may even recommend the latter half.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
The episode also revealed that Rokuro was found in Magano like Sae. It'll be important later on.
FilthyCasual wrote:
It's weird to see toddler Rokuro in ratty exorcist clothes when he was actually buck naked. It suggests that he ran from Magano exorcist school or something when's he actually just a complete enigma.

He was wearing the exorcist clothes in the manga too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
With episode 21, deciding to do a time skip and feel like characters have grown, the series finally feels like it really has hit a stride after the last couple of episodes that were more end of arc sort of deal, yet it is being good at the start of an arc. I actually think now that it was worth getting past the early parts of the series that I was not enjoying.

Benio and Rokuro actually talked about the possibility of them having a baby together, and it was not really an embarrassing mess, even if Benio got embarrassed at the end of it.
beholder242

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
One thing I really liked was the amount of character development and growing up that happened off-screen, during the time skip. Rokuro definitely seems like he's maturing and "manning up", likely to try to be the sort of future husband he should be for Benio, and Benio seems to be opening up to the possibilities with Rokuro too, despite the embarassment she felt after letting her guard down more than usual when she talked with Rokuro about having a baby together. Makes me wonder a little bit how long we're going to wait in the anime for their first kiss?

I should point out that I have not read the manga, so have no idea how things developed there. Sae is an interesting mystery, though. I'm curious to see how this will play out.

After having watched this all the way through, I do have a couple of questions that maybe the others here could clear up for me. For example, what exactly ARE the Kegare? What are their motivations? It seems like they do prey on humans, dragging them into Magano now and then. Is that it or more to it? I've heard of the Kegare also being referred to as "impurities"? I've perceived them as some sort of demonic spirit, hence the need for "exorcists".
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
He was wearing the exorcist clothes in the manga too.

He was?

Huh, guess I misremembered.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:
One thing I really liked was the amount of character development and growing up that happened off-screen, during the time skip. Rokuro definitely seems like he's maturing and "manning up", likely to try to be the sort of future husband he should be for Benio, and Benio seems to be opening up to the possibilities with Rokuro too, despite the embarassment she felt after letting her guard down more than usual when she talked with Rokuro about having a baby together. Makes me wonder a little bit how long we're going to wait in the anime for their first kiss?

I should point out that I have not read the manga, so have no idea how things developed there. Sae is an interesting mystery, though. I'm curious to see how this will play out.

After having watched this all the way through, I do have a couple of questions that maybe the others here could clear up for me. For example, what exactly ARE the Kegare? What are their motivations? It seems like they do prey on humans, dragging them into Magano now and then. Is that it or more to it? I've heard of the Kegare also being referred to as "impurities"? I've perceived them as some sort of demonic spirit, hence the need for "exorcists".

Impurities, or Kegare, are malignant creatures born from the hatred and negativity of humanity. As long as the plane of Magano exists for them to coalesce in, they will always exist and fulfill the negativity they're made of - by killing people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 16