• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime Mascot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I am disappointed by the lack of Dirty Pair's,Mughi,and Nanmo!
kagome1571

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Kuriboh - Yu-Gi-Oh , Cereberus - Cardcaptor Sakura, and Nyanko-sensei - Natsume Yujin-Cho are my favorites.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Aside from a few tiny Gundam gashapon, a special Zeta-branded Haro is the sole occupant of my diminutive display cabinet. Part of the character's lasting appeal lies in the fact it can be drawn from any angle with minimal variation to its appearance; a fig-leaf from the character designers to their subservient animators.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EndlessEmpty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the article a great deal.

Here are some of my favorites:
Chu Chu--Revolutionary Girl Utena
Kuroneko-Sama--Trigun
Sonic--Blood Blockade Battlefront
Ein (eh, it's a stretch but eh)--Cowboy Bebop
Panda Man--One Piece
Puu--Yu Yu Hakusho

But the most criminal omission is Maromi the Therapy Dog from Paranoia Agent. Maromi is absolutely terrifying and story crucial. She's the most striking mascot to ever come out of anime, in my view, and is also a great character and motif in her own right.

Otherwise found the article to be very entertaining. Great job again, everyone.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Nyanko-sensei!! AKA my favorite alcoholic cat toddler.

I also have nostalgic feelings for Makona and Kero. Sonic the monkey from BBB also makes me hate monkeys a little less...he's adorable.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
My favourites mascots are:

Sonic from Blood Blockade Battlefront
Patamon from Digimon
Happy from Fairy Tail
Elizabeth from Gintama
The Fairies from Humanity Has Declined
That cat-looking thing with only a head and tail from Lucky Star that shows up with the episode title
Cyndaquil from Pokémon (although Eevee is a close second)
and Nagoya from Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Thanks for the interesting article
ShadowZim777

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
My favorite thus far has got to be Kir from Jing: King of Bandits. This wise cracking, woman hunting, weapon blasting bird is always fun to watch when he's on. Least for me.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I think I would go with Menchi from Excel Saga. Not only is he cute, but he serves as an emergency food supply for our penurious heroines. Not many mascots manage to star in the ED.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know Elizabeth was a mascot.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I have the same Ryo-oh-ki plushie (bought here in Australia though, not at a con) - one of my very few plushies (anime or otherwise). She spent a lot of time entertaining my niece and nephew back when they were young (and the paint on her eyes has partially worn off as a result).

Ryo-oh-ki is easily my favourite mascot. She's cute in all her forms, child-like (no smart-arse comments - just a fixation on carrots), and can turn into a powerful spaceship.

I always name my current laptop computer "Ryo-oh-ki". My gaming computer is "Ryoko" ... in fact, most of the computers and printers in my house are named after Tenchi characters (although the HTPCs are Slayers characters).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm going to go with the "Big Dango Family" from Clannad. They're insufferably cute, and in and of themselves they're not particularly interesting, but I like how they're used in the show. Nagisa's childish love for them is a pretty obvious symbol of her inherent immaturity (this is Peak Moé we're talking about, after all), and I kind of emphathize not with her, but with the family and friends putting up with her, since she's so fixated on these characters (from a children's show or advertising… I don't think it's ever explained) that went out of fashion long ago, making it a huge pain in the ass when Tomoya tries to find one to give to her as a gift.

Then there's the matter of the ED for the first season of Clannad with the saccharine-sweet dango theme song. It's like an ED for an actual Big Dango Family kids TV show, as it seemingly has no relationship to Clannad at all. Or does it? One of the wilder theories I've ever heard about this show points out that the baby dango born in this sequence is then seen surrounded by different dangos than its presumed parents… seemingly presaging how spoiler[baby Ushio will be raised by relatives instead of her biological parents, after Nagisa dies in childbirth and Tomoya slips into reclusiveness.] I kind of think this is giving the show waaaayyyy too much credit and that it's probably just a coincidence, but it is fun to think about.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The Chao as a species are the cute mascots of Sonic the Hedgehog, but if I can get into subcategories, than Omochao, the robotic Chao that functions as an in-game guide, has always had my eye. Just the fact that in his debut game, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Team knew people would find him annoying and allowed you to throw him and break him. Or pick him up and then take him along for a few spring jumps or running down the side of a building. It's a shame that element was never used ever again.

Branching off from that, as for the Chao themselves, many people think the Chao Garden is the best part of SA2.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
My favorite mascot would have to be Boota from Gurren Lagann that little guy was great for all sorts of laughs hell he literally sacrificed his Ass so that Kamina and Simon could save the day. Cool
Meglivorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
One more vote to Ryo-chan!

In Azumanga I'm more of the Bakaneko-Pikanyaa line. Both cats were great it their way. Otoosan was just too surreal for my taste Very Happy
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Dejivice wrote:
I'm also one of those people who thinks Eevee should be Pokémon's main mascot. Its so simple and cute.

I'm in total agreement with this. I've been seeing a lot more Eevee-centric merchandise lately. If Build a Bear ever offers Eevee or any of its evolutions, I'm buying all of them.

I was surprised to see the fairies on the list. They are definitely one of my favorites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5