• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is It Unusual For Japanese People To Use Computers?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
NormanS wrote:
And that if you walk into some newspaper or bank company, they are still using typewriters to type things out.

I wonder what Japanese typewriters look like...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dMJCs7fmGZA/UJzHukfx8HI/AAAAAAAAawc/I6PlL12aytY/s640/1.JPG

It's one of the most daunting pieces of technology I've ever seen.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I wonder what Japanese typewriters look like...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dMJCs7fmGZA/UJzHukfx8HI/AAAAAAAAawc/I6PlL12aytY/s640/1.JPG

It's one of the most daunting pieces of technology I've ever seen.

Oh, man... Shocked So that's what writing manufacturers in Japan call "a typewriter"... Those buttons are so small my fingers would end up many of the buttons surrounding the one I want to press.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Oh, man... Shocked So that's what writing manufacturers in Japan call "a typewriter"... Those buttons are so small my fingers would end up many of the buttons surrounding the one I want to press.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_typewriter
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Tomoko has a desktop computer in Watamote. Tomoko is a nerd.

I guess this also informs the scene in Evangelion where Maya is impressed by her progress at using a keyboard and is doubly impressed when Ritsuko blows her out of the water at the same.

Evangelion take place in 1998 if I'm not mistaken, at least the series and the first 2 movies. So, this makes sense for Evangelions. Much like how Shinji uses a tape player walkman, not becasue he is retro but because of the time line he is in.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
(The poster's question only reminded me of Usagi's "Wow, you can use a real computer? Surprised " when Ami or Luna use one in the early-90's Sailor Moon episodes. Yes, Usagi's not the brightest pursuer of academics, but using one should have been taken for granted by that point.)

Or, similarly, the episode where we see Ami's new cram-study class is particuarly advanced, because each student uses...a new PC computer program to study! Shocked

(And even then, she's heroic because she doesn't use it to study, but uses her own brain power!)
lebrel

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

You don't use your finger to press the key, you use that gold-tone lever thing right in front of the roller (it can be moved around the keyboard). So you are limited to hunt-and-peck one-finger typing, even if you have the keyboard memorized...
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Can't compose an email? Like, a basic email? That is just so damn baffling to me! My brother in law just sent me plans for a new deck, so I downloaded the file and opened it and printed it (I need to get a permit this week and need those plans), that would be difficult to do for the average Japanese person? Mind=blown. Seriously, we have like, three laptops in this house now (between personal and work).
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
A number of DOS games I've played have featured "boss keys" to hide the fact you were goofing off at work. Just press, say, escape and suddenly you're looking like a busy bee. Since we all know people goof off at work a ton, it's hardly surprising that computers became popular in the end - if you're constantly involved in Doom netmatches at work, why not play the game at home? That Microsoft created Doom95 to showcase DirectX says quite a bit about video games and the triumph of the PC.

Meanwhile, if Japanese companies weren't buying computers for their employees to screw around perform very studious work because of text entry issues, it only makes sense that people would gravitate to other, more friendly platforms, many of which hook up to the TV instead of requiring its own, dedicated, heavy monitor.
residentgrigo wrote:
Win 10 is lastly a dream! Upgrade if you can but turn off the build in spy ware.
A bit off topic, but you can't turn off the spyware: you can turn the settings down to their minimums, but the only real off switches there are are activated with group policy options not available on home editions(and you still don't have them all unless you're using the enterprise edition).

Having had my work computer recently rebuilt as a Windows 10 machine, I can also call bullcrap on the rest: I have yet to see a single redeeming value for it. I suppose Clippy 2.0 might be a killer feature for some, but it's turned off in my company and I'm not a fan of the constant spying they entail, anyway.
Rinkwolf wrote:
Much like how Shinji uses a tape player walkman, not becasue he is retro but because of the time line he is in.
The tape player was actually meant to be futuristic; it just so happens the fancy tape format it used never really took off.
classicalzawa wrote:
Can't compose an email? Like, a basic email? That is just so damn baffling to me! My brother in law just sent me plans for a new deck, so I downloaded the file and opened it and printed it (I need to get a permit this week and need those plans), that would be difficult to do for the average Japanese person? Mind=blown. Seriously, we have like, three laptops in this house now (between personal and work).
I'd imagine it means the more nuanced professional email. It's not always the easiest thing, especially before you're used to the register of a company - and I'd imagine Japanese companies like it really professional, which would be even more difficult, especially since anime and mangu seem to suggest that Japanese use emoticons with every single text.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
You don't use your finger to press the key, you use that gold-tone lever thing right in front of the roller (it can be moved around the keyboard). So you are limited to hunt-and-peck one-finger typing, even if you have the keyboard memorized...

Well, in that case, thank goodness I stand corrected. That makes it a bit less painstaking...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:
I think people in places where the computer is used constantly tend to forget how to write properly by hand.

Which is funny since some of those same people tend to not be very good at typing properly with a keyboard.

Lord knows a part of me dies inside whenever I see people start their sentences in lower case, lazily using leet speak when not necessary, or misspell easily spelled words like "lose".
Alcest

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Oh, you also use computers?" is a common phrase you might hear in anime

Not really no.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Another example: Chiyo in Azumanga Daioh is initially ignorant of and intimidated by computers even though she's from a rich family. Then her quick learning of touch-typing is part of the running "child prodigy" joke with her.

Or how "owns a computer" is the "personality" of one of the characters in the later parts of Hidamari Sketch.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Lord knows a part of me dies inside whenever I see people start their sentences in lower case, lazily using leet speak when not necessary, or misspell easily spelled words like "lose".

Common, mistakes like that a diamond dozen in this doggy-dog world.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Holy balls.

And here I thought Japan would be a beacon of computer technology.

How else will anime fans in Japan get their anime fix other than DVDs?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I have to think it's more cultural than anything else, since it feels like everyone has a super-fancy feature phone at minimum. It may also explain why Japan is also very cash-reliant.

EricJ2 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
(The poster's question only reminded me of Usagi's "Wow, you can use a real computer? Surprised " when Ami or Luna use one in the early-90's Sailor Moon episodes. Yes, Usagi's not the brightest pursuer of academics, but using one should have been taken for granted by that point.)

Or, similarly, the episode where we see Ami's new cram-study class is particuarly advanced, because each student uses...a new PC computer program to study! Shocked

Computers were still a want than a need in the 90's. I consider myself tech savvy (My first course in coding was in 2005 and I haven't looked back) but my house didn't have a computer until 1997, and I didn't have a smartphone until 2014.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I guess that I could ask the same question about computer keyboards. The inability to directly input kanji might be a problem there.

Because PCs were made for languages using the Roman alphabet in mind at first, not for Asian or Cyrillic languages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8