• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sweetness & Lightning (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Considering what flavors they put in Japanese Kit-Kats, nothing there surprises me!

*Does a bit of googling*

Never tasted Kit Kats as I can't eat them due to coeliac disease, but some of that stuff seems like desecration towards candy bars. Shocked I guess it's good to have different options.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
That costume was the cutest. Like cuteness overload. I wonder about getting some Garigari-san merchandise without it being too expensive.

Cam0 wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
Considering what flavors they put in Japanese Kit-Kats, nothing there surprises me!

*Does a bit of googling*

Never tasted Kit Kats as I can't eat them due to coeliac disease, but some of that stuff seems like desecration towards candy bars. Shocked I guess it's good to have different options.

Kind of reminded me of the black hole of candy culture that one might experience after watching Dagashi Kashi, learning about the strange Japanese candy, and then looking up the various region differences of candy. Like that musk flavoured candy is normal here in Australia but to others it sounds crazy. Regional differences are quite fun.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Ah.....it's over. This week's episode concludes the series.

Going to seriously miss the show with its weekly cooking segments, Tsugumi cuteness, etc. Iida's mom also showed up this week in the finale, nice. Rating it as very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I rated it good. It never went above and beyond, but it was consistently fun and cute and all the characters were likable.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I don't get why you'd use your fingers to flip the crepe instead of a spatula. And sweet potato filling... for crepes? That's weird to me too.

What surprised me about episode eleven was the fact that the pancake batter was continuously referred to as a dough in the subtitles. Surely its consistency is too thin to count as such! Dough, intuitively, can at least retain its shape up to a point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Damn it, I love the chemistry between all these characters. Sure, the writing lacks depth, but these characters come off so genuinely , I couldnt help but smile throughout this entire episode. Especially at the subtle Shinobu and Yagi interactions. For what it was, I'll rate this as good. Could have done without the dad crying in nearly every scene.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

What surprised me about episode eleven was the fact that the pancake batter was continuously referred to as a dough in the subtitles. Surely its consistency is too thin to count as such! Dough, intuitively, can at least retain its shape up to a point.

Pancakes? You mean crepes? Or is pancakes = crepes some kind of British thing? To me pancakes are fatter and where I live I believe they make them in the oven. Crepes are made on a pan. Wait, pancakes in the oven? Maybe that's weird.

The batter being referred to as dough is probably just a translation mistake. In my language we use the same word for batter and dough. So whether it's a more liquid kind of stuff or a bit firmer stuff depends on the context. So maybe it's the same for Japanese? I dunno.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

It felt like there was some pretty major focus that Tsumugi was kind of desperate for a mother figure or something. She talked about her friends mothers, how strict they were was something she was also trying to put on him (that he is scary or something). Her ears pricked as soon as she heard that she could meet Kotori's mother, and she became very bashful when doing so.

This show was really sweet, well it is in the English title, it brings to mind a couple shows like Usagi Drop and Barakamon with some of this. For a few merits I would rate it as Very good (8/10), which is a high rating, but it is a bit down from what I voted the two I put above. The reason I will do so is that just sweetness can only go so far, it did not really have any strengths in comedy or drama that could push it up. It did actually start to touch a bit on some late in the show, like in this episode with how Tsumugi was acting a little off and he was having trouble being the parent he needed to be, but overall it is kind of unrealised. The cooking segments were an interesting part, and it made me feel like I could do them too, I might actually look into trying a couple after my current semester.

Again, really cute, I was a big fan of how cute it was, and really Tsumugi did come across as having a bunch of genuine characteristics of a kid. This is a good show
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It felt like there was some pretty major focus that Tsumugi was kind of desperate for a mother figure or something. She talked about her friends mothers, how strict they were was something she was also trying to put on him (that he is scary or something). Her ears pricked as soon as she heard that she could meet Kotori's mother, and she became very bashful when doing so.

Related: Most of Kotori's interaction with her sensei felt like she was yearning for a father figure.(Yes, I'm aware of the evidence about a one-sided crush.) Kotori's dad was mentioned once, and I read somewhere online that her parents are divorced (not sure if I missed that reference in the show). I got the impression that some of Kotori's reactions to Tsumugi and her dad, especially when they were fighting, was to give Tsumugi the father she never had.

Maybe I'm wrong, just some of my random thoughts. Really adored this series. Very good, in my opinion
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Hello Cam0!
Cam0 wrote:
Pancakes? You mean crepes? Or is pancakes = crepes some kind of British thing? To me pancakes are fatter and where I live I believe they make them in the oven. Crepes are made on a pan. Wait, pancakes in the oven? Maybe that's weird.

I would advocate the notion that crêpes form a subset of pancakes. Much like any other ubiquitous food item, the humble pancake's size and consistency varies widely. The pancakes of my childhood were thin in the French style, though perhaps not prepared with quite the same finesse. Not until my early adolescence did I learn of the thicker varieties popular in America and eastern Europe. Indeed, the practice of using such ingredients as potato or buckwheat flour was a relatively recent discovery for me. (Oat pancakes count as a peripheral case, I say.)

Making pancakes in an oven is perfectly acceptable practice, I would imagine, providing the end result still resembles something that a flat cooking surface could afford.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, today I learned about pancakes. Excellent. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big, ole sap like DuskyPredator, so I only rated this show as Good. Wink I also rated Usagi Drop and Barakamon extremely high and I just didn't feel this show hit those kinds of heights. It was cute but by the finale I was ready for it to be over. I am glad that High School Girl's mom actually did show up. The finale was a little disappointing for me in that Tsummugi was kind of an insufferable brat for chunks of it. In a totally believable and organic way, but I don't enjoy bratty behaviour in real life so I can't say it's a big favourite in my entertainment, either.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Too much sweetness, not enough lightning. Smile I mostly enjoyed it, but never really looked forward to it or anything. Mostly it just made me hungry.

I don't remember ever acting out like that in public. I was an angel. Rolling Eyes No, I was actually a monster, who took my revenge in more passive-aggressive ways. In Tsumugi's place, I would have been loathe to make a public scene, but sulking for days would certainly have been in my arsenal, as well as other minor acts of sabotage, depending on how unfairly I thought I'd been treated. Evil or Very Mad I have not really outgrown any of that, though most of my sabotage is directed at myself now and I'm less inclined to seek retribution these days.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on this series several episodes ago when Tsummugi started to act up (like a real child). I simply cannot deal with small children. I refuse to associate with them in real life. I felt is was a shame she started acting real as I was enjoying the cooking and how it related to life.

Beyond the occasional snapshot memory, I do not remember what I was like at that age. However, it is unlikely that I acted out as I didn't at later ages. I wasn't necessarily good, I got in trouble often enough, but is was for doing stupid stuff not for yelling or throwing tantrums.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Are a number of us really frustrated by bratty children. It was kind of a recent thing where I found myself unable to deal with a little who comes over and occasionally and decides to turn my computer/viewing area into a play area while I am trying to get something done. Asking to play with toys I have around or put away, and threw hearing him bother someone in the restroom, and throwing a tantrum over something out of any of our control. I had for some time kind of put off by little kids in general being sticky, but expressing it was but away to avoid anything inappropriate or getting assaulted by little brats. Also, growing frustration of screaming children when I have gone out for grocery shopping.

My thoughts have been that I have been steadily growing into what I used to consider a mean adult. A "good" kid can be adorable, but there is only so much you can care about seeing a kid giving their parent a hard time while you can see that they have a McDonalds Happy Meal right in front of them. I guess, even if at times I might think that I was not so innocent either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7