• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kumamiko Box Set Already Selling at Bargain Bin Prices

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
While Kumamiko's ending was certainly bad, I'll have to agree with 7jaws7 that at least OreImo's was worse. If cruelty is the measure, it's plenty cruel to at least one main character and frankly it was cruel to the audience as well. Whereas until I read some of the earlier comments, I only vaguely remembered Kumamiko's, I still to this day remember clearly OreImo's and why I dislike it so much. I won't get into it unless you want to hear me rant about it.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Eh, I wasn't thrilled with the ending, either, but it's not like it made me forget a lot of the great stuff that preceded it.

What great stuff? The parts where Machi is continually forced to do things she hates? The parts where Yoshio practically molests her? The parts where she's forced to dress in revealing costumes against her will? (Etc... etc...)

7jaws7 wrote:
Meh, there have been worse endings.

It's not just about the ending - it's about how the ending was a capstone of horrible that made you look back and see just how badly Machi had been treated all along.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the way it became public and blew up over the web gave Kumamiko a worse reputation than it actually deserved.

0.o It's "unfortunate" that people reacted badly and "blew up" over depictions of mistreatment that portrayed them as acceptable?
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much to say about the ending, as I rarely gave a shit about faults in anime but I have to confessed that I'll really dislike that damn dude that kept harrassing Machi and just want him to die, honestly. That bear whatever his name is fine enough as a character for me however, and when you come to think about it, the ending does somewhat set a new bar for depression. I don't think its dumb, more to the point of complete reversal to the entire development and showcasing the horror of how terrible Machi's life has gotten to. I believed people were utterly mad at it because it is not something that you'd see everyday in a slice of life shows and since most people probably watched these kind of genre for soothing moments, the ending caused total eruption of hatred seeing that it is not something expected. At the very least, Kuma Miko will be remembered for years to come as that anime with the final moment that nobody had predicted. If it were to followed the route like Sansha Sanyou, then nobody would still be talking about it because it is not a gastronomically successful slice of life shows like Gochuumon Usagi, Non no Biyori and Kiniro Mosaic. Personally, I'm okay with the subject matter of this article but "that damn dude" set me a light of fire into wishing that every similar shows should just include only female characters as the main of focus, and males should be in the back seat (or doesn't existed at all! *laugh like the devil*). Mind you, just a personal wish of mine, also knowing that not all males in anime acted like "that damn dude".

Last edited by Afezeria on Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Eh, I wasn't thrilled with the ending, either, but it's not like it made me forget a lot of the great stuff that preceded it.

What great stuff? The parts where Machi is continually forced to do things she hates? The parts where Yoshio practically molests her? The parts where she's forced to dress in revealing costumes against her will? (Etc... etc...)

Rolling Eyes

Is this the part where we pretend there wasn't a single funny thing in Kumamiko? That every single gag had to do with Machi getting "practically molested" or being forced to dress in revealing costumes against her will? Does that explain why you watched this show?

Rolling Eyes

There was a ton of funny stuff that had nothing to do with this including Machi's bicycle ride on the mountain, a lot of her interaction with Natsu, all the stuff with that blonde yanqui chick, etc. I always love when people cherry pick things and then pretend there was never anything else. Makes for some super-intelligent conversation.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Is this the part where we pretend there wasn't a single funny thing in Kumamiko?

They weren't meant to be funny in the way you enjoyed them. Sure, you can enjoy it, but it's just you being ... you're rejecting the meaning of the text that the director intended to convey and substituting your own.

Which I need to emphasise is perfectly OK!. The meanings you find are real, it's just that you have to talk about them differently.

The ending reveals the attitudes the director brought to the production: a better idea of how the director intended the series-as-a-whole to be read pretty obviously affects how we read even the earlier parts. Narnia is a really well-known example of this sort of effect. [or the sexydance in Gargantia, which had to be included because later parts of the work pretty clearly demonstrate that it was a rejection of the rejection of inter alia sexuality: not all negative, see]

Now: you don't have to read a text the way the director wants you to. You can find your own private meaning: this is perfectly OK. But the meaning you find isn't in the text, or not entirely in the text: it exists partially in you, and so doesn't exist in -- or for -- other people. People won't always find what you see in a work, because what you find in a work isn't always in the work.

Which is to say: the meaning -- the humour, here -- you find in the work is real, but it's not entirely in the work; it exists in the interaction between you and the work and it's not something that everyone will share with you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
@ nargun - sorry, I don't find your post particularly relevant to mine. I am aware of the sorts of things that put people off about Kumamiko. DerekL1963 mentioned some of them. I didn't find those things funny, either. My point is that there were other things going on as well. Humour is subjective so maybe the bicycle ride left you or others stone-faced. I realize that some people will latch on to things like the ending and some of the other objectionable stuff and therefore dismiss the ENTIRE offering. Knock yourself out if this is your style, but it's not mine. I can live with something that is flawed. It doesn't mean I have to reject every single thing about it; a stance which I find incredibly trite.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Is this the part where we pretend there wasn't a single funny thing in Kumamiko?

What a lovely strawman.

Quote:
I always love when people cherry pick things and then pretend there was never anything else. Makes for some super-intelligent conversation.

Says the guy cherry picking things and trying to pretend the only problems were with the ending.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Gosh, DerekL1963, are you conceding there were funny things in Kumamiko? Well, that's some progress.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Which I guess is loosely translated to "what you've interpret in a work isn't necessarily being shared by others"? Yeah, sure. Other people does looked at some things differently and I'm pretty much agreed with Blood that Kuma Miko has so many funny moments which served as side of positivity for the show. Though, that aura of hatred breed from the ridiculous seconds from every time "that damn guy" showed up (for me) and the depressing ending overshadowed everything it seemed, for certain people. I'll understand anyway, because "hate" and "anger" IS a powerful feeling. It is the complete opposite of happiness.

In the meantime, someone should edit this wiki page and insert the controversy about the show's ending. Will serve greatly for future inspection, perhaps. Wink

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuma_Miko:_Girl_Meets_Bear
catsspat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The two boxes are NOT "mostly the same." The first box, Kuma/Bear-box, contains the episodes 1-6, a short OAV, and some other stuff. The second box, Miko-box, contains the episodes 7-12, a different short OAV, and again some other stuff. You can't get the entire series without buying both boxes.

It's hard to take internet articles too seriously with this kind of major misinformation, but then, it's nothing new, I guess.

It's not uncommon for unpopular series to end up getting "box set" treatment from the get go because they'll at least manage to get some fans to buy them for the cheaper-and-easier-to-collect nature of the box sets. Gokukoku no Brynhildr was treated the same way.

It's kind of funny how I find some of these "unpopular" anime seires charming in some way, because I bought both Brynhildr box sets (2) and the Kumamiko box sets (2).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
@ catsspat - thanks for the clarification. No thanks to the article, but I sort of figured that out for myself when I saw that the amazon.jp listing put the running time of both at 144 minutes, so clearly a single box could not contain the entire show. Yeah, guess I'll just wait until the NA release comes out.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the questionable ending, I really enjoyed Kumamiko and would consider importing the boxset if only it had subs. Although, I would imagine international shipping to Canada and then Canada Post's hard-to-predict import fees would eat up much of what I'd otherwise have "saved" by not buying it full price.

I'll probably just hope that Funimation gives it a physical media release in North America, but the import is tempting.

I'm holding out hope for a season 2 that could undo some of the problems with the anime-original ending although if it's being so heavily-discounted in Japan so soon after airing, season 2 almost certainly won't happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

If you're gonna be this tumblr about it, there's a lot of very tragic and depressing anime out there just waiting to shatter your heart. At any rate, I agree with the previous poster that the primary problem is the ending and I can still rewatch and enjoy other episodes. Not the greatest series, exceptionally stupid choices in some places, but whatever. Still, I respect the fandom for refusing to buy the DVD box to send a message. That rarely happens, whether by design or coincidence. The best way to vote in the end is certainly your wallet.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
catsspat wrote:
The two boxes are NOT "mostly the same." The first box, Kuma/Bear-box, contains the episodes 1-6, a short OAV, and some other stuff. The second box, Miko-box, contains the episodes 7-12, a different short OAV, and again some other stuff. You can't get the entire series without buying both boxes.

Thank you for pointing this out. Although I still think the box sets are "mostly the same" because they have similar bonuses, the episode listing is an important detail that I overlooked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2