• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Home Video Rights for Seven Deadly Sins

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:

Eh, to me this never seemed like the type of show they'd go after. My point was that, since they didn't pick it up while it was airing back in 2014, they most likely weren't going to go after it at all.

My point was that they COULD have picked it up in 2014 when it was new and just never announced it. They have no obligation to tell the world when they get a license. Companies sit on licenses all the time and announce when they are ready. No reason AoA wouldn't do the same. And considering AoA has licensed and released things as different as Fate/Zero, Magi(I would argue a similiar type of shonen to SDS), Doukyousei, Zvezda, Blue Exorcist(another shonen similar to SDS), Daybreak Illusion, and Wagnaria among many other weird things, I don't think they have much of a "type of show they'd go after". And because of their primary goal to apparently stem piracy rather than actually release anime, they don't really stress too much when a show they have doesn't do super well. They just don't release it....

@Greed1914 My hypothesis is that they will renew the licenses so they can put them back on streaming services under their name, and will hold the physical rights to keep it unavailable to any other publisher. Reverse importation and all that. Seems weird to do for old titles that likely won't be getting imported much anyway, but I don't think much about their strategy so far makes a ton of sense, so I wouldn't put it past them. ...I may be just a little bit bitter at how many shows of theirs I want and literally cannot buy in this region... Crying or Very sad
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
Not Funi!!!!!1

This is disappointing news to me. I love the show. Have watched it several times on Netflix and will always equate their call sign and sound with this show, no matter what I watch. But Funimation?! Ugh, please Jeebus, deliver us from this scourge. I wanted physical copies of this, but not if Funimation is involved. They're starting to smack of monopoly.

Monopoly? If you think that Funimation has that, you don't pay attention to the other companies. Rolling Eyes

I'll glad take a home release from anyone not Aniplex of America. Laughing Smile
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy it's going to be affordable now! YAY!
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
Not Funi!!!!!1

Peebs. I'm a bit disapointed just as you. But look on the bright side. They did'nt dub it......... Even though bryce as the lead was a lack luster performance, it wasn't entirely ruined lol.

i'll buy the sets during a future sale after release since I can no longer get a discount off pre ordered crap on rightstuf.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Peebs wrote:
Not Funi!!!!!1

Peebs. I'm a bit disappointed just as you. But look on the bright side. They didn't dub it......... Even though bryce as the lead was a lack luster performance, it wasn't entirely ruined lol.

i'll buy the sets during a future sale after release since I can no longer get a discount off pre ordered crap on rightstuf.

Is it because you're in Ohio?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Very nice pick-up. I see this as very much a Funi kind of show.

unfortunately the cast was picked by aniplex and was voice by bang zoom. i really cant see funi would outsource the dub for the series when that supposed second season shows up. while they would be certain to get bryce to do meliodas if funi decides to do the dub themselves, the rest is out of the question. then there is aniplex who have been giving funi fans the middle finger as of lately.

and after what's been happening with the two companies as of late, i got a bad feeling that this is not gonna end up well and might end up the same way as sekirei.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3