• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I don't think it insinuates that at all. At least I've never thought that, nor met anyone who did it for that kind of reasoning. It's intended to be simple courtesy, I think. They aren't protecting her from her incompetent self. They are expressing care for her by blocking rocks, dirt, splashes, cars that are driving too close to the shoulder, etc.

It is important to mention that in japan, it is very common to not have a sidewalk for pedestrians in many streets so there is clear and present danger in those narrow streets, but the cordiality is (expected to be) extended even if there is an elevated sidewalk and a metal protection.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
If i was Morioka and found out that Sakurai had known my RL identity for a while before letting me know, i'd be pretty pissed...so even though it's obvious that they will end up together eventually since they were already "destined partners" in that other game (the Japanese gaming community sure seems to be small... Rolling Eyes ), i'm starting to lose patience. It kinda takes the fun out of a show starring adults if they are acting no different than middle-schoolers when it comes to romance...

I'm still having fun with Koiwai and Kanbe, though!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
If i was Morioka and found out that Sakurai had known my RL identity for a while before letting me know, i'd be pretty pissed... It kinda takes the fun out of a show starring adults if they are acting no different than middle-schoolers when it comes to romance...

At least Sakurai knows that too - he mentally apologizes to her, but he can't help but "eavesdrop" undercover to find out what she honestly thinks. Not that I condone it, I just get it.

I don't think anxiety about rejection or not blowing your chance magically goes away when you're an adult. One thing that's different between dating in and out of school is that if you confess and are rejected in a school setting, you still have to keep seeing and even interacting with that person every day. Unless you're inappropriately confessing to a co-worker or neighbor or current best friend, that's not as much of a problem once you leave school, so in a way the stakes are less dire.

However, in that sense an MMO is like a school setting. If you bring rl into it and confess and get rejected, then your whole gaming life gets screwed up and becomes stressful, so just as in school, there's more at risk than simply being turned down. For people with a lot of emotional investment in the game, that's a fearfully narrow bridge to cross.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I abandoned any hope of ever encountering a true adult romance story about five minutes into my anime career. It simply isn't done.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
Also, Morika noted that both men blocked the street for her. It'll probably mean nothing in the end, but did anyone else notice that Sakurai did that by "default" whereas Koiwai only moved after noticing a vehicle was going by?

That part was actually kind of weird to me. It's not like Moriko is a child and needs to have someone block the street to keep her from wondering into traffic. Again, this might just be due to personal perspective and cultural differences, but I'd actually be kind of offended if someone did that, as it would insinuate that they think I'm clumsy and need to be coddled.

It's not about blocking her from wandering off in the street as much as it is preventing any unforeseen things happening to her by putting themselves in the line of fire. Anything from a car coming across a rogue puddle and kicking up splash to a motorized purse snatcher.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I know I am a minority, but I am mad at the decision of not having a female voice for koiwai's MMO character.

It's actually a pretty interesting choice I think. Sakurai and Moriokas characters have different voices from themselves because they play MMO to get away from reality and have created an "other self." Same goes for Fujimoto and his character Kanbe. Where as Koiwai is playing because of it's just a game to him and probably something to just unwind with. When Morioka creates her female character she retains her real life voice meaning when playing as Molly she's just playing it as another game. Sakurai will likely retain his voice with his 2nd character too.

I've been in both camps playing MMO's throughout my life. When I started playing FFXI in middle school I had fabricated a persona to separate my real life and game life at the time. Then after joining the work force and rejoining FFXI after a 4 or so year break I maintained my real life personality even though it was my exact same character from middle school. After moving to FFXIV 1.0 and later on 2.0 I continued to just play them as games maintaining who I am despite playing female non human races.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
It's actually a pretty interesting choice I think.

While what you say is quite reasonable, I think the simple truth is quite different. Had the original mangaka decided to make Koiwai's MMO persona a loli or some other standard trope I can bet they would have gladly paid a female voice actor. But since the choice was a muscular female they decided to play it for laughs (which is quite clear the intention from the get go). That is why I am mad, because the is standard procedure, their other choice would no doubt have been to have a female voice actor but make her face (f)ugly.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Amiantos wrote:
It's actually a pretty interesting choice I think.

While what you say is quite reasonable, I think the simple truth is quite different. Had the original mangaka decided to make Koiwai's MMO persona a loli or some other standard trope I can bet they would have gladly paid a female voice actor. But since the choice was a muscular female they decided to play it for laughs (which is quite clear the intention from the get go). That is why I am mad, because the is standard procedure, their other choice would no doubt have been to have a female voice actor but make her face (f)ugly.

I'll disagree since Moriokas new character retains her voice with Molly and I'm willing to put my money on Sakurai's new character which will be male retaining his voice. They're just playing a game at this point and are retaining their real life personalities instead of crafting other personalities to escape from the hardships of real life. Koiwai's character represents what a lot of people do, they create a character of the other gender but don't try to hide the fact they're really a male or female with their mannerisms. Kanbe quickly picks up on this but doesn't say anything where as the only reason he figured out Morioka's character was because she backed herself into a corner by gushing about the game with at the time was just a convenience store clerk to her. There's nothing malicious about the choice to retain koiwai's real life voice when he's playing.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh man, I abandoned any hope of ever encountering a true adult romance story about five minutes into my anime career. It simply isn't done.

Nodame Cantabile is cute as hell and I wouldn't consider it a "true adult romance" but at least it doesn't have the two leads completely incapable of bearing their souls to each-other. There are a good number of anime romances, but sadly, it does seem to favor the more schoolyard will they-won't they littered with misunderstandings and lack of communication.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
If i was Morioka and found out that Sakurai had known my RL identity for a while before letting me know, i'd be pretty pissed...so even though it's obvious that they will end up together eventually since they were already "destined partners" in that other game (the Japanese gaming community sure seems to be small... Rolling Eyes ), i'm starting to lose patience. It kinda takes the fun out of a show starring adults if they are acting no different than middle-schoolers when it comes to romance...

I'm still having fun with Koiwai and Kanbe, though!

I think the reason why Sakurai and Morioka behave the way they do isn't from a lack of maturity, but from vulnerability or being emotionally stunted. They turned to the game to be free and anonymous, and they both thrive in that environment. It's real life where their troubles become hard to manage, and both of them have a hard time in certain regards to real life (obviously Morioka had more trouble).

If anything, this is a very realistic and adult situation. Sakurai likes Morioka, but he doesn't know how to make his feelings turn into a relationship because now she's dating Koiwai and Sakurai's MMO persona Lily is essentially a lie. If he comes out and says anything to Morioka he could ruin the simple happiness he has in the game with her already, and he doesn't know if she even likes him enough to stop seeing Koiwai, so he's not exactly eager to start spilling the beans and possibly losing the MMO he loves and the woman he's grown to have feelings for in one fell swoop.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:45 am Reply with quote
^She's dating Koiwai? Did i miss anything?!

Morioka literally told Sakurai what a great guy he is and how much she enjoyed spending time with him. What more reassurance does he need?! And sorry, they might both be shy introverts, but that's far from being "emotionally stunted"...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Nodame Cantabile is cute as hell and I wouldn't consider it a "true adult romance" but at least it doesn't have the two leads completely incapable of bearing their souls to each-other. There are a good number of anime romances, but sadly, it does seem to favor the more schoolyard will they-won't they littered with misunderstandings and lack of communication.

There's also My Love Story which shocked me by spoiler[having the two leads dating by episode three.] But yeah, those kinds of examples are few and far between. I've heard good things about Nodame Cantabile so I'll definitely be checking it out at some point. I think one of the problems with it is a lack of a legit release in NA.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I've heard good things about Nodame Cantabile so I'll definitely be checking it out at some point. I think one of the problems with it is a lack of a legit release in NA.

It's now on Amazon Strike (in the US) with subtitles: https://www.amazon.com/Lesson-1/dp/B01MTDK9P1/

I'll also suggest REC in the adult romance category. It starts from a somewhat implausible premise but has a realistic feel for a comedy. The Ayu fansub was uploaded to YouTube and has not been taken down. Since REC is eleven years old, I doubt the fansub will be disappearing from there any time soon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6dMbt7unQc
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
@ yuna49 - unfortunately, as a Canadian AP member, I don't have access to Anime Strike and Nodame Cantabile is not a title being made available through the regular AP streaming service up here. However, Siren Visual in Australia released the first season and I have purchased titles through them before thanks to owning an all-region player.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Check out "I can't Understand what my Husband is Saying", it's on CrunchyRoll. Positive or Negative, it's also incredibly short. (each episode is only 3 minutes)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14