• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Golden Kamuy (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:32 am Reply with quote
Just to inject a note of historical realism, the assassins who murdered Tsar Alexander II, were arrested, tried and executed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Alexander_II_of_Russia#Arrests,_trials,_and_punishments

Of course, given that the story includes the conceit that Hijikata Toshizou was not killed in the Battle of Hakodate, I'm hardly surprised it's not accurate about this assassination either.

Hyouge Mono opened every episode with the disclaimer "This is a work of fiction." (For instance, Its remarkable portrayal of Nobunaga's assassination at Honnouji Shrine is entirely at odds with the judgement of historians.) Perhaps we should keep a similar disclaimer in mind when watching this show.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
As someone from St Petersburg, I'm a bit more bothered by the change in the place where the assassination happened rather that who carried it out. As anyone who's taken a tour of the city will know, Savior on Blood marks the spot where Alexander II was killed, and the idea of that church standing in the middle of Palace Square instead of Griboyedov Canal fills me with dread Very Happy
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
For a work of fiction, it's surprisingly convincing at fooling viewers who didn't look it up beforehand. Unsurprisingly the pair of them weren't the historical assassins, but it makes a compelling reason for Kiroranke's wanted poster in the Far East.

I've been to the Saviour of Blood cathedral, so yes it's definitely not where it's portrayed in the series. Two red flags to indicate all is not what it seems for this particular portrayal.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
Also Alexander was riding in a closed carriage when he was assassinated, not the open one shown in the story. Makes the story-telling easier. The actual sequence of events is a bit more grisly.
Quote:
However, the [first] explosion had only damaged the bulletproof carriage. The emperor emerged shaken but unhurt. Dvorzhitzky offered to drive the Tsar back to the Palace in his sleigh. The Tsar agreed, but he decided to first see the culprit, and to survey the damage. He expressed solicitude for the victims.

He was ready to drive away when a second bomber, Hryniewiecki, who had come close to the Tsar, made a sudden movement, throwing a bomb at his feet. A second explosion ripped through the air and the Emperor and his assassin fell to the ground terribly injured. Alexander was leaning on his right arm. His legs were shattered below the knee from which he was bleeding profusely, his abdomen was torn open, and his face was mutilated.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote

This week sets up what is to come. Not as much happening this week compared to the last two; viewers are reminded Sugimoto and his group are still chasing after Asirpa but they are way off the pace. The whole blizzard and lighthouse mini-arc is to introduce Svetlana, who coincidentally happens to be the cellmate of Kiroranke's mentor. Without this connection, the two groups would find it very hard to cross paths.

I'm not conversant with Russian, so I have no idea if the Russian spoken by the Japanese VAs in this series is any good. There's going to be a lot of it in this season, so the Russian coaches have their work cut out for them.

The mountain cat and Oogata are surely going to have a duel in the near future. Oogata is the only one in their party who saw it, together with the Ainu legend of the thieving cat and it looks like something might be up over the next few weeks. I like how the ending shot focused on the tracks in the snow, with the feline's mysteriously disappearing.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I'm not conversant with Russian, so I have no idea if the Russian spoken by the Japanese VAs in this series is any good. There's going to be a lot of it in this season, so the Russian coaches have their work cut out for them.

I talked about it before in the episode review thread, and what I said there still stands, namely that Tsukishima's Russian is noticeably better than that of all the Russian characters. This episode also had a particularly hilarious moment where the prison guard addresses Son'ka the Golden Hand in Russian, but uses her nickname in English. Considering that the Russian dialogue up to now has been grammatically and idiomatically correct, I'm left to assume that the Russian speaker who translated the text into Russian simply wasn't aware that she was a historical character.

I suppose you could also add her being alive several years after her officially recorded death yet another instance of the show/manga taking liberties with history, but the idea that Son'ka somehow managed to escape Sakhalin to see the end of her life either in Soviet Moscow or on the East Side of Manhattan is a popular folk legend in Russia, so it's an excusable liberty. I have no idea if the author of the manga was even aware of those legends though.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
Professor Nakamura Tōru, who also translated works by Vsevolod Mikhailovich Garshin, translated Anton Pavlovich Chekhov's Sakhalin Island, in which Sofia Ivanovna Blyuvshtein had been mentioned, into Japanese, and publishing firms Kōbundō and Iwanami Shoten published it around the middle of the 20th century in Japan. Also other scholars of Russian literature translated it into Japanese. So Japanese people who are interested in Russian literature may know of Sofia Ivanovna Blyuvshtein to some extent, even if they didn't read Russian literature at their universities.
I have heard that Anton Chekhov had a plan to visit Japan after his visiting Sakhalin but he ceased it due to an epidemic of cholera. If Chekhov had visited Japan, he may have written an interesting book about Japan. If Chekhov had lived a longer life and had visited Japan, Sergei Grigorievich Eliseyev might have introduced him to Natsume Sōseki in Japan.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:22 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The mountain cat and Oogata are surely going to have a duel in the near future. Oogata is the only one in their party who saw it, together with the Ainu legend of the thieving cat and it looks like something might be up over the next few weeks. I like how the ending shot focused on the tracks in the snow, with the feline's mysteriously disappearing.

My interpretation is that it is more symbolic rather than hint at a future conflict between Ogata and the cat. They mentioned some proverb of a child of a cat also being a cat, which went along the lines of a child of a geisha (prostitute) is also such, and something about a thieving cat. I think that we are meant to take this is as Ogata being being the cat, he is a child of a prostitute and a thieving cat to be put down. I think that we are getting a bunch of foreshadowing that Ogata is likely going to die soon, where we have been getting some characterisation he has been defined by his origin in a way that has stained him, and he is about to get his comeuppance, and it might not be too tasty, but maybe valuable.

That might just be me reading too much into the literacy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
Peeps, I am not cool with this extended separation of Aspira and Sugimoto. We are seven episodes into the 12 episode run and it is clear that the reunion, if it happens at all, won't be until the final episode. I love when a show takes one of its most compelling elements and says, "ha, you won't be seeing this for a while!" Don't get me wrong, I think the writing, humour, action, reveals, historical details, etc are all as strong as they've ever been. But the separation is a background noise that frankly eats away at my overall enjoyment.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:27 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Peeps, I am not cool with this extended separation of Aspira and Sugimoto.

I find it more bothersome that Asirpa, and to a lesser degree Sugimoto, have been relegated to supporting status so far this season. It's given less room for Asirpa to display agency, a key feature of the first two seasons for me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:02 am Reply with quote
I hear you, but I am less bothered by learning more about the other supporting characters (which by definition takes screen time away from Aspira and Sugimoto) than I am over the separation. Their interaction was one of my favourite parts of the show and we're getting zero of that. I do like learning more about the others, though.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote

Long time no see, Hijikata and co. Tsurumi is busy going through his stash of skins for clues, you're following up on a lead from the prison for one of the escaped convicts. As the episode title implies, the convict is one of the wraiths of the Bakumatsu era, like Hijikata himself.

There's nothing more pathetic than seeing a former Bakumatsu Hitokiri living out the last of his days virtually alone. Youichirou is clearly affected by dementia; the death of his wife and no family to accompany him through to his old age gives him nothing to ease the weight of his past transgressions. Amazingly he's able to move like he could in his prime once the past catches up with him.

Hijikata Toshizou died in Hokkaido historically, but there's a template for Youichirou as quite a few of the famed Bakumatsu assassins survived into the Meiji era. Which one I'm not sure, but it's a good excuse to show off what the Shinsengumi vice-captain looked like in his younger years for this series.

Switching back to Asirpa and company, Kiroranke has thought up the most outlandish idea to have a meeting with Sofia. I reckon that last shot with the broken ice far out in the ocean is what he's waiting for: the sea to freeze over to give the escapees a route out of the harbour without being tracked. Getting the explosives in place is no small undertaking either, so it looks like there's a while yet before the prison break can go ahead.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote

Another episode with more backstory. How did a Russian revolutionary and two men with radically different ethnic heritage learn Japanese? Kiroranke reveals why his Japanese is so good for someone born so far away from the Far East.

In the present, not much is happening since Kiroranke needs to wait until midwinter so that the sea freezes over to facilitate the jail break. In the meantime he's doing what he has to in order for the prison break to succeed without unnecessary complications. The need to wait for the right timing helps Sugimoto and co, since the huge distance they had to traverse a few weeks ago is no longer an issue now that time is on the side of the pursuing party.

For the past, the trio certainly got around. After the assassination, making it as far as Vladivostok from Moscow while on the run could not have been easy even in an age without modern communications. In a bizarre twist, the Japanese man who was sheltering them turned out to be a Japanese army spy, which triggers the eventual arrival of the two men into Hokkaido.

spoiler[ It's a small world too. Hasegawa turns out to be Tsurumi of all people. This answers the earlier question of why Tsurumi could recruit his fellow Niigata/Sado compatriot Tsukishima and be able to pass him off as a Russian translator to the higher-ups. Tsukishima was taught Russian by Tsurumi personally, the lack of Russian-speaking Japanese army officers something Tsurumi himself would be painfully aware of. ]
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I wondered why Asirpa-san didn't question their need to go into Russia? To learn more about her father perhaps?

Damn, I love this show.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:28 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I wondered why Asirpa-san didn't question their need to go into Russia? To learn more about her father perhaps?

Damn, I love this show.

Following the breadcrumbs.

"You want to know more about your father?"
"My old mentor knew your father well, a side you don't know about."
"She's currently in a prison in the Russian-controlled part of Sakhalin. Want to go?"

That's the gist of it. Asirpa has long since crossed the part where she questions the sanity of her actions, so everyone is in Imperial Russian territory and preparing to effect a jailbreak.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7