• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Golden Kamuy (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:45 pm Reply with quote

Not a conventional way to end a quarter. The open threads from previous episodes remain as-is, instead we get an episode that is surprisingly heavy in its exposition and character development. Considering the franchise has earned a full adaptation, it is no surprise the announcement to finish the final chapter was made at the end of the episode. Leaving it in the lurch here would be a huge disservice to viewers and to the production members who have invested a lot into its work.

Although we see Usami doing his usual thing at murder sites, what he says next about Ogata reveals less about his mindset (which viewers saw plenty of in the previous weeks) and a little more about Ogata himself. Unfortunately for the enigmatic sniper, there's little clarity into his character despite the flashback. It's no secret he's been occupied with his abandonment as a child by his influential father, so working with Tsurumi as a way of getting even with him was one hypothesis. Yet Usami is dead wrong when he claims Ogata is doing this for influence in the division, since later events prove that Usami is seeing Ogata through his own twisted perceptions and Ogata himself never cared about Tsurumi enough not to betray him. One thing I can confirm: Ogata has first and foremost always served himself, and anyone and anything which can help him in one way or another is to be used and discarded when its utility has run its course. Ogata can now shoot, so his showdown with Vasily next quarter is back on. How that showdown will take place given the distance between the respective factions is a mystery for now.

The other big reveal is about Sugimoto himself. Revealing to Asirpa why he's been looking for the gold and what he'll do if their faction ever finds and secures it first is huge for the pair, and it's also telling that Sugimoto will keep his word and stay by Asirpa's side until she's achieved her desired outcome. Way back in episode one when the agreement was made, he would not have agreed to that had he known the quest would take them this far and experience so much. Asirpa cares for Sugimoto in her own way, but she'll have to live with his decision and hope he remains immortal until their journey reaches its end. Even Shiraishi is briefly given the spotlight as he contemplates how much he means to the main pairing, and despite his shortcomings Sugimoto trusts him enough to let him stay with them despite knowing full well he would run given the opportunity.

As for Boutarou, he has figured out in a short time what the main pair took several seasons to confirm. He has a point: there may be a lack of trust but information shared is the closest possible substitute to motivate new members into giving their all for the cause. Shiraishi realised this, and confirmed what he's suspected in return for Boutarou revealing the coin. This in turn gives Asirpa a new raison d'etre, which viewers will need to watch further for an official declaration.

At this juncture, the remaining plot points (Sapporo's Jack the Ripper and the tattooed child abductor) will be settled in the final season. Fair enough, the animators have deserved their break and the material remaining is more than enough for a quarter. Hopefully the next season won't have the unfortunate delays which hit this one, as the entertainment value has not diminished despite the broadcast gap.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:37 am Reply with quote
I think that I have fallen out of love with this series. It feels like it has taken so long mulching around, that I have kind of lost interest in most of the characters. And I totally did not need non-consensual cum fights.

My rating for what is the 4th season will be So-so (5/10), hopefully a final season will redeem itself that I won't feel like I would be just watching it out of obligation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7