• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Yuri Show Must Go On: Yuri Fair 2018 Makes Do Despite Initial Setbacks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify, I am not saying that you should not like the series that I mentioned. You can watch/read/play/love them for what they are about but if you think that they are yuri-recommended, oh please. Series like Idolm@ster was created for romance fans who are mostly males and want to insert themselves as the guy who dates the girls. It has been that since day one. If Idolm@ster does care about the passionate yuri fans then why is that Producer-san is always male and the love interest? Why is there no official yuri girl or yuri couple to offset the presence of the guy?

Let us not get started with Pretty Cure too. That one is yuribait even before Hibike and Love Lab existed. Little Witch Academia was no longer a yuri heaven when Trigger generalized it into Pretty Cure 2.0 or a typical generic magical girls anime. It completely backfired on them and, doing damage control, they pandered to the yuri fans at the last minute. And "yuri" spinoffs from het series? Pffffttt....

There are some non-yuri series that are more than just subtext and they treat yuri with respect. Popular CGDCT series such as KinMoza and GochiUsa have yuri and there are no curve balls that ruin it. K-On ship-teased two of its main girls in the second half of S2. Love Live (Strawberry author for the manga) and BanG Dream (you already know who) are very much (hopefully forever) two yuri heaven because they know their yuri fans oh too well. Which is why there is no male love interest or self-insert.

Wtv wrote:
Just a friendly reminder, complain about things you actually watched, not things you read people complaining somewhere. A lot of what you said just isn't true, to begin with.
Also, the whole: "if you're a fan, you should watch this" is dumb, really.

Yeah and the "this is yuri if the two girls are in a spitting distance" thing is really dumb too. What the heck do you know about yuri and how it does in Japan? Do you even know that Hibike's original source never had yuri at all? I have known yuri for many years and it is ironically that the world respects it but not the country where it originates from. Japan always puts het and harem franchises first and they make substantial profit unlike the majority of yuri ones. Sakura Trick and Citrus were two favorites worldwide but they did not perform very well in terms of domestic sales. It seems that in the mainstream media, yuri does not sell and is better off being a subtext genre than a romance genre.

Speaking of complaining, there are many people complaining about yuri fans liking an anime or whatever at the mere sight of two girls standing next to each other. Some of them think that they are rabid and delusional. Trust me, I have seen those complaints everywhere and I have watched those anime personally. There is nothing more disgusting than being a yuri fan and watching something for the yuri only to get het swerved in the end. When there is a “""""""yuri-friendly"""""” work that has these yuri vs. het ship wars and all-females vs. # females + self-insert (male) wars within the community, it is best to, unless you are just a fan of it or somebody who wants to give it a try, just avoid it.
Wtv

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Idolm@ster - Started as a het dating sim. People started to ship the girls together because they were cute, but there wasn't much to base it. The mobile games made the relationship between producer and girls more ambiguous. It's not a romance anymore, and it does have a lot of interaction between the girls only, so they're clearly trying to appeal to all different publics.
Aikatsu - 0 het pairing. A lot of writers are clearly yuri fans, including Ayana Yunico herself who wrote episodes for the first series. Stars had a guy who was clearly in love with Yume and it ended with spoiler[her rejecting him]
Precure - Two series had het pairing. Some series had girls with crushes on boys, but most of them also has some tease between the girls. MahoGirls in particular has stronger subtext than everything LL ever did. They raise a child together, have a pretty romantic ending and the mangakas (they're both clearly yuri fans) managed even to put a kiss between them in the manga.

So, that's why I'm saying you never watched it. Now, I'm not saying these series are yuri, I'm just saying there's obvious reasons why they appeal to yuri fans. But guess what, neither is Love Love or Bang Dream.
In fact, Love Love was planned as a self insert pandering series, what can be seen in materials outside the anime, and how the first PV has them giving chocolate to you. Even today there's some things like that, like saying Ruby wants to go on dates with you on magazines articles. Also, the girls keep flirting with you in the mobile game worse than it happens in im@s. Love Love is not a yuri series, it tries to grab yuri fans and self insert fans as well.
Bang Dream is a little better, but still subtext. None of these series are yuri, but all of them appeal to yuri in some way, and that's why they're important to yuri fans, like it or not. A series isn't yuri just because it has no males and it's not het harem just because males exist.

Hibike and Amanchu is a little complicated. Hibike's novel is not yuri at all, but the anime clearly baited to these fans. But to be fair, they did keep out Kumiko's romance, at least until now. Funny enough, the new movie focused on Misore and Nozomi is really popular with yuri fans in Japan right now, but a flop in general. Hibike sales don't come from yuri fans only. It's popular because it appeals to all publics.
Amanchu is a little worse because the author realized people were shipping her characters and made some romance to stop it, what is fine, it's her work after all. But the way she did it was kinda homophobic. She should've handled it better.
Regardless, I wouldn't recommend Hibike and Amanchu for yuri, but I understand some yuri fans like it. In fact, I would hardly recommend any anime for yuri, since the actual good yuri titles are mangas. I would recommend some subtext ones although warning people what they were getting into.

Also, Sakura Trick and Citrus didn't sell because they lack appeal. Sakura Trick is not that good as a slice of life or comedy, and, even if I like yuri, I wouldn't force myself to like something I think it's weak just because it has yuri.

So yeah, I know what I'm talking about. I understand some japanese and mostly I follow both japanese and western yuri community. I'm just not delusional. There isn't an invisible war against yuri. Most artists are just indifferent to it. And males in a work don't invalidate yuri either.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the long post and I don't intend to keep this discussion further.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Time to bring my own thoughts on this post.

Its nice that new yuri is being made and all and its even more nice that we have something like this since...well Yuricon shut down in 2007 and we haven't had a real yuri event since.

Having said that, while everyone flocks to the latest yuri shows and those that they deemed "subtext yuri" my passion burns only for Destiny of the Shrine Maiden(Kannazuki no Miko), which is in my opinion, criminally underrated and grossly misunderstood.
It's baffling to me why it hasn't gotten a better reception than it did.
It's painful to see that reputation and the pain continues to gut me to this day, but I have to press onward. I called myself "Heishi" for this reason.

Anyway, that's my thoughts for today.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
Anyway, I'm sorry for the long post and I don't intend to keep this discussion further.

I am sorry for the late reply but I just cannot help but had to.

>Love Live, BanG Dream, and Idolm@ster
You are right about those three series catering to both yuri and self-insert fans. What you do not understand though is that Love Live and BanG Dream have more female followers than Idolm@ster, some of which are yuri fans and lesbians. As for the male followers, they enjoy the self-inserting even without a canon self-insert guy. Idolm@ster's fanbase is male-dominated even with the existence of Project Jupiter and SideM, both of which were intended for females.

The general consensus of Japan preferring iM@S while the world (and Japan also) preferring LL helps that. Heck, KLab got berated by fans for removing yuri subtext and making the self-insert a guy in the Engish version of School Idol Festival. BanG Dream is still at a young age and it is reaching popularity almost as big as Idolm@ster's. The point is that LL and BD balance their fans whereas iM@S prioritizes hetero self-inserts and maybe fujos above all else.

>Precure and Aikatsu
Need I remind you that those two series were created with the children and parents as the primary target audience? It only natural that it tells little girls that girls can love boys. Precure zigzags with yuri and het every entry. Doki Doki and Maho Tsukai are the two most yuri and Doki would have probably beaten Maho if it were not for that disgusting het episode.

Same deal with Aikatsu albeit more slowly. Season 3 introduced a male designer for one of the main girls and he attracted a lot of fangirls and hetshippers. Even the manga for that season was het as heck, That is the reason for Aikatsu Stars having more males but that did not seem to go well with some fans Later, they pandered to yuri fans in the movie, demoted all the males for the remainder of its existence, and now Aikatsu Friends is almost completely devoid of hetero.

>Hibike and Amanchu
I learned a valuable lesson from Hibike. When I am hype for some anime that may have yuri, I should always do research on its source material first. But here is something that might interest you about that yuribait. spoiler[In the latest novel, Kumiko broke up with Shuuichi. Of course, I an] As for Amanchu, I can only hope that yuri fans will be vocal enough to make the author change her mind spoiler[just like with that other spoiler].
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
The fact these yuri events actually exist shows there is a growing audience, and it's going to take time until it really solidifies the subgenre. I'd say one good indicator of that happening is if there's a yuri fangirl or fanboy as one of the main characters in a show about otaku people like Wotakoi or Genshiken. More sustainable yuri magazines would also work.
mc55

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
I love it when folks try to declare what it or isn't proper whatever genre or some such. It's like they are trying to be guardians and gate-keepers to judge what is or isn't the right series or what not to be called "x" genre.

And I like pure stuff and not so pure stuff. But in general, not just in Yuri but also other stuff, I tend to stick to more idealistic fare unless the writing for the less idealistic is really good and somehow appeals to me. I'm not saying that there is no truth in guys preferring "pure" characters in yuri, but sometimes, like with me, it could also be the guy's (or girl's) general inclination, period, at work.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

Having said that, while everyone flocks to the latest yuri shows and those that they deemed "subtext yuri" my passion burns only for Destiny of the Shrine Maiden(Kannazuki no Miko), which is in my opinion, criminally underrated and grossly misunderstood.
It's baffling to me why it hasn't gotten a better reception than it did.

Probably because of the spoiler[rape scene and still having mutual feelings]. Himeko's response to what Chikane did to her was not realistic in the slightest. It was offensive to spoiler[actual rape/assault victims] and it's really hard to buy a relationship could actually recover from such an unforgivable act. The writing just wasn't natural and it did not make sense. It was forced to please the yuri fans. This makes it....kinda trashy. I was pretty disgusted by it myself. But I was on Souma's side to begin with so....that incident only pushed me over the edge. Anime hyper

If Kaishaku wanted to tell an emotional, tragic yuri story, they almost succeeded....but they really shot themselves in the foot with that turn of events.

I know you are a huge fan....but that's my personal opinion on why critics and audience alike feel the way they do about the show. It just should not have gone there. Be it yuri, yaoi, or het, people do not like abuse in love stories. Especially sexual abuse. While a show like Scum's Wish is ALL about sexual abuse, it ends properly with spoiler[everyone learning why they are wrong and going their separate ways.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3