• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Drastic Character Design Changes [2018-07-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mhora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
It's a damn shame Flowers of Evil crashed and burned. Many of my favorite Disney movies relied on rotoscoping, so it's not like this a new style at all. Look at Sleeping Beauty and its details in backgrounds. Flowers of Evil was such a great show. Intense. Adult. F*ed up.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll see this and raise you Shangri-La, which went from Kenichi Yoshida (Eureka 7, Gundam Reconguista in G; original novel's character designs) to Range Murata (Blue Submarine No. 6, ID-0; anime adaptation's original character designs) to Kumi Ishii (Kurenai, Red Garden; anime's animation character designs).

Yoshida's original designs (<-- in the second section) were in the ballpark of E7's designs. Murata's designs were a radical redo that bore, at most, only a very passing resemblance (likely a conscious decision on the producers' part, given the way they seemed to want to present the story). Meanwhile, the animation production meant taking Murata's distinct style and outputting it through Ishii's own distinct style…which, personally, did not result in a very pleasant mix. Odder still, they largely kept Yoshida's overall architecture and world design style…

I say all of this as a huge fan of all three, but the circumstance with Shangri-La was just strange (and/or poorly thought-out). Murata's designs were fine in their own right, but neither seemed an ideal match for the show, nor did they stand well against Yoshida's designs (no knock, just one style was more fitting). As for Ishii, despite having the ability to straight adapt other's designs well, as well as employ her very own, I'm not sure there was any way her's and Murata's were ever going to work cohesively, despite similarities in their aesthetics. The end result were off-looking and blase characters, like exactly a bad mix of two styles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
There’s also Higurashi and Umineko of the When They Cry series.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Remember Beyblade? Michael's design got more than just a re-design.

BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
To this week poll: I wonder if any sane person would seriously ate something from Sanji, who constantly has a cigarette in his mouth and correct me if I am wrong, mostly lit even during his cooking.

He obviously wouldn't be smoking everytime he cooks since that would make it awfully hard for him to taste his own food to make sure it's right.

Also nice to know I wasn't the only one put off by Flowers Of Evil's rotoscoping. I know it's cliche among these parts by I literally could not make it through the first 1 episode of it because of how off putting it was.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
"DxD Hero" had a noticeable art style change to reflect the artwork of the light novels.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Man, I forgot all about Aku no Hana. What were they thinking? It was one of the most mocked series at the time. No surprise at all it bombed hard.
The anime was vastly superior to the manga parts it covered. Too bad the anime fandom is by large full of smolbrains who froth at the mouth at anything that dares to be different.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget the changes from BubbleGum Crisis to BubbleGum Crisis 2040. Yes, i understand changes were needed because legally they couldn't use the original's designs, but damn, they really changed them...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
Too recent to be on the original List, but I think perhaps the hands-down winner would have to be the original One designs for the One Punch Man web comic vs Murata's and Kubota's work for the manga and anime respectively. Very Happy
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
Flowers of Evil was a selfish decision by the director who settled on rotoscoping when he couldn't get a live action drama adaption instead. No one wanted to sponsor the work for a primetime TV slot. His strong desire for a live action drama is official record from an interview.

It was essentially a mock anime since it everything was fully shot as live action anyways. It goes beyond character design change since there was no character design for the non-animated adaption to begin with.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Zimmer wrote:
The anime was vastly superior to the manga parts it covered. Too bad the anime fandom is by large full of smolbrains who froth at the mouth at anything that dares to be different.

Just because it's different doesn't make it good.

I checked out the manga because of how awful the show looked and figured it had to be better and it just got stuck with an ugly adaption. I liked the manga designs way more. Then I kind of lost interest after the time-skip and stopped reading, but yeah.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
Don't forget Knack Productions' take on Doctor Dolittle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BspPiDTQItg – first episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtu-MVbg-7k – twelfth and penultimate episode

Please pay attention on the title protagonist's character design.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
wmderemer wrote:
Let's not forget the changes from BubbleGum Crisis to BubbleGum Crisis 2040. Yes, i understand changes were needed because legally they couldn't use the original's designs, but damn, they really changed them...

And reading your comment reminded me of the design changes from Dirty Pair to Dirty Pair Flash. Granted, Flash is officially an "alternate universe," but Kei and Yuri were both significantly redesigned; Kei especially looks like an almost totally different character.
JB_Gra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
When I think about radical redesigns, Weiß Kreuz always comes to my mind.
The ones on this list were controversial sure, but with some of them (Ash and Sailor Moon), it was more a style change than a complete redesign.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:52 am Reply with quote
[quote="Lord Oink"]
Zimmer wrote:

Just because it's different doesn't make it good.
But in this case it was.

Quote:
I checked out the manga because of how awful the show looked and figured it had to be better and it just got stuck with an ugly adaption. I liked the manga designs way more. Then I kind of lost interest after the time-skip and stopped reading, but yeah.
The designs are ugly, but that's a positive in a series about ugliness, and the slow pace that everyone derided fits the atmosphere more than the mile a minute approach the manga takes. There's a lot it opens up for discussion, but I'll leave it at that. To each their own, but it it got a lot more flak than it deserved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3