• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime would you like to see a high quality remake of?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:48 am Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:
My choice would Love Hina. I love the manga. Part of that is because I read it when I was struggling with what I wanted to do in life and I really found Keitaro to be a kindred spirit in some was. His drive to get into school spoke to me at a time when I had flamed out at my initial college and Wasn't sure what to do with my life. In many ways I really understood Keitaro, minus the harem of course.

The anime has always been disappointing to me. I own it, but only because I loved the manga so much. In fact they are the old Bandai single DVD releases that I picked up used. I would love a more manga faithful version. I would even settle for a manga faithful adaption of several of Ken Akamatsu other works.

Good answer. I'd also like to say that a Negima remake (52 episodes long or so) would be great. There are so many characters that they could make two episodes for each of them. Smile

I love character-focused shows and slice-of-life shows.
Wibu404

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:35 am Reply with quote
Maybe kekaishi, kinikuman and cyborg kuro chan.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

First: Key the Metal Idol This was the title I had in mind when I started writing the topic. It's one of my favorite shows of all time, and while I don't think the animation is bad, I'd love to see it with the high-budget treatment. Other than the animation improvements I don't think I'd change a thing.

Why remake it in the first place if there is nothing to fix? Stuff should be remade if they can improve on the original or do something new and different with it. Otherwise, it will be pointless. That's why most movie remakes suck since they are pointless.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Why remake it in the first place if there is nothing to fix? Stuff should be remade if they can improve on the original or do something new and different with it. Otherwise, it will be pointless. That's why most movie remakes suck since they are pointless.

Just because something "isn't bad" doesn't mean it cannot be improved upon. If a show is great despite mediocre animation quality imagine how much better that same show would be with 10/10 quality instead.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Honey and Clover. I enjoyed the original series (and the second season), but I felt that it didn't spend enough time on Hagu and the professor. I would also have enjoyed it more if it didn't shift focus between characters so often.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:

Just because something "isn't bad" doesn't mean it cannot be improved upon. If a show is great despite mediocre animation quality imagine how much better that same show would be with 10/10 quality instead.

The problem is that a remake always changes the other characteristics of it: the dialogue, the direction, the pacing, which influences overall quality. So if you remake a classic then it will tend to be much worse (because by definition a classic is better than 99% of the existing stuff).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Star Ocean 2 would benefit from a lengthy adaptation, at least 52 episodes long. The same could be said about any game in the series. All of those RPGs have vast amounts of content and character development.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

The problem is that a remake always changes the other characteristics of it: the dialogue, the direction, the pacing, which influences overall quality. So if you remake a classic then it will tend to be much worse (because by definition a classic is better than 99% of the existing stuff).

I agree with you that remakes often make other changes, but I don't agree that they're always changes for the worse.

Anyway, this is a hypothetical fantasy discussion. If your hypothetical fantasy remake of your favorite anime doesn't involve changing the dialogue....then it doesn't. The point is to talk about what things you want to change in a show and which you don't. For some people and some shows that might involve dialogue. For other people and other shows it might not.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Fist of the North Star: With how popular JoJo had gotten in recent years, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine a modern version of FOTNS. It could properly adapt the manga and actually finish the story, unlike the original anime. They could rewrite some of the plot holes that were caused by the manga being written as it went along. If it's exclusive to Netflix like Devilman Crybaby, we can even get the brutal violence left intact.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:24 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Fist of the North Star: With how popular JoJo had gotten in recent years, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine a modern version of FOTNS. It could properly adapt the manga and actually finish the story, unlike the original anime. They could rewrite some of the plot holes that were caused by the manga being written as it went along. If it's exclusive to Netflix like Devilman Crybaby, we can even get the brutal violence left intact.

that's a pretty good idea. FotNS isn't my cup 'o tea but I know a lot of people really wished the manga had gotten a proper adaptation.

I was chatting with a friend this weekend and another idea popped into mind, though it wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I started this topic: I'd love to see Utena re-made. Art improvements never hurt, but most importantly get rid of Chuchu, the incredibly annoying (IMHO) monkey-like mascot character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2