• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
86 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
6:

Giad Empire:
"That's why we choose those who are mostly likely to succeed, and least likely to be missed."

Also Giad Empire:
"The Federacy isn't like the Republic. Nobody is replaceable. For better, or for worse."

I don't know which one is more amazing: their sheer hypocrisy, or their insistence on playing this same tune to the Eighty Six who have clearly seen through their bullshit since day one.

So basically, the suicide mission now is for the Eight Six to draw out Legion's defenses surrounding Morpho, so that Giad Empire can finally take out the railgun. Classic war strategy. Wenzel, being the idealistic person, doesn't approve that and asks Shinei if he's been disillusioned by how Giad Empire is not better than the Republic (ironic: is that question directed at Shinei, or herself?). You can clearly see that she's the Giad's version of Lena. Not even that different to be honest.

Right now, with the Republic basically fallen, I think the Eighty Six is going to reunite with Lena during their suicide mission in some way. It would be strange if they didn't somehow meet again, especially when Lena is still relevant in the story. There must be a reason that we're looking at what's happened to the Republic, right?

I'm actually relieved that we're informed early that the next episode is going to be a cool-off episode. Rather than being surprised by a recap episode, the show is polite enough to tell us that we've reached the halfway mark and is taking a break before the climax in the second-half of the season.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
So basically, the suicide mission now is for the Eight Six to draw out Legion's defenses surrounding Morpho, so that Giad Empire can finally take out the railgun.
II think you've got that exactly backwards. Most of the armies are engaged in the decoy, while the small team is going to take out the railgun.

Overall, I've found this season to be a step down from the last. I feel like I've seen every beat here before, executed better elsewhere (including some from the first season of this show). They keep trying to hammer home the hypocrisy point, but at the end of the day, they weren't forced in to the fight, nor were they in a situation where the alternative to the fight was particularly bad (aside from, you know, losing the war, but they're all in that boat together).
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think you've got that exactly backwards. Most of the armies are engaged in the decoy, while the small team is going to take out the railgun.

My apologies. Had to rewatch that part, and I got it wrong. Gotcha.

So, correction: the Eighty Six are the special ops team with the mission to take out Morpho while the others are the diversion to draw out the Legion's railgun defenses. Still a classic war strategy, nonetheless.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:09 pm Reply with quote
8:

Aaaand we're back.

The first half of the episode talks about how the higher ups are worried about the Eighty Six reintegrating with society. Their society. Some people like Richard are pessimistic, thinking that people who are trained to kill and destroy can never be normal. Others like Zimmerman and Wenzel are more optimistic, thinking that they can have normal lives given enough time. My only issue is how we don't get to see the Eighty Six struggling with reintegration with society enough to demonstrate both viewpoints. This is clearly about PTSD, and if we want to talk about it, then I think it's only obvious that we show what it is in the first place. The show has never really shown the raw side of the topic, and their sentimental route unfortunately takes that good part away.

I'm also intrigued at Nachzehrer. Not a ground vehicle, not exactly an air vehicle either. Essentially, it's like a hovercraft. But what is the main advantage of it? Speed? Air vehicles usually cover distance faster and have the advantage of overcoming obstacles on the ground, but clearly that's not an option given Legion's anti-air weapons. So why not conventional ground vehicle? Then you have issues with the terrain. So I guess ground-effect vehicles can address both issues best? I'm just curious.

I'm scared: what does "Special Edition" mean for the next episode? Another cool-off episode?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I was going to try to explain ground-effect vehicles, but found that this article does a way better job than I ever could!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-effect_vehicle
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:38 am Reply with quote
8.5:

I thought that since we had episode 7 which was seiyuu special episode, we wouldn't have a recap episode.

Nope, guess I was wrong.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:08 pm Reply with quote
11:

I feared this would happen: production values dipped.

When it was announced that the show was taking a break, even when it was only two episodes away from the end, I knew the show had run into problems dealing with production. Even if the break would help to give more time to produce the final two episodes, I already predicted that they wouldn't be as good as the rest of the show.

Quite disappointed that for the first half of the episode, the dip in production values was pretty evident. So much that the characters' art style was shoddy. Almost KonoSuba-shoddy (SORRY), and this is coming from A-1 Pictures. Worse, the series of flashbacks was a just a Gainax-like attempt at salvaging whatever the show has to put up a full episode.

The penultimate episode was exactly how I imagined it to be, no surprises there. But the execution (or the lack thereof) was what I was worried about, and it did come true unfortunately. Perhaps things could have been worse, but after waiting for one whole season, I was hoping that the series would get a proper closure once and for all. Because we all know how tragic it would be if a show falters right at the end compared to anywhere else in the show. I hope the final episode isn't as bad; I just want this show to end on a high note as much as possible.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Final:

Glad the production values are up and well for the final episode. If it means it had to compromised the penultimate episode just so that the ultimate one would be optimal, then it's a sacrifice worth taking.

6/10 for me for the second season.

It's a step down for me because, compared to the first season, there isn't much character development this time round. What made the first season better was how Lena stepped up as a leader who stepped into the front lines to fight, and how the 86 learned to respect her given their tumultuous history with San Magnolia.

But in the second season, Lena was out of the spotlight for most parts, and the 86 were taken in by another empire who just treated them like expendable second-class citizens, but without the racist factor. There's nothing much going for this season, so it didn't feel quite as good this time.

Even if the epilogue is a parable for San Magnolia whose remaining survivors had to bow down to the 86 for helping them to save whatever is left of their empire, it's a cheap and convenient conclusion to serve their comeuppance. Racism runs really deep, so the show's method of tackling a topic as profound as this felt novice.

In sum, I just feel glad the series could finally wrap up after it was stalled for a whole season for just two episodes. Thanks, now let's move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4