• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Faraway Paladin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:09 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for the overpowered isekai hero to venture out onto the world that's been previewed in the OP each week, Not saying its a bad thing but it feels like 4-5 episodes is a lot of setup time before the inevitable journey.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Yo Grant, you might want to fix the episode blurb for this one. It's says "he" instead of "The". Besides that I think you did a good job with this review. Despite the sudden power escalation, this is still my favorite Isekai this season. I'll miss Blood and Mary (Gus as well but he doesn't count cause he's still haunting this earth) but I think there send off was really well done and I'm looking forward to the start of Will's Journey. Random aside, does anyone else think Blood looked better as a skeleton man than he did as a skin man... I mean human?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I found the first episode to be interesting and it kind of hooked me. However, ever since then its been slowly getting more and more boring for me. Maybe its all the monologue (Will the monologist!), maybe its because the action isn't particularly exciting (yea speed up one more time why don't ya), maybe I just haven't been blown away by the art, etc. Its also running the risk of becoming saccharine, which may in part be due to Will's voice actor. Then there's the overall pace. There's slow burn and then there is slow moving and this feels more like slow moving than slow burn to me.

I may give this one more episode, but its really teetering on being dropped.
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:12 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I found the first episode to be interesting and it kind of hooked me. However, ever since then its been slowly getting more and more boring for me.

i think the reviewer feels the same, they went from writing novels to writing paragraphs.

Honestly now that it seems like he'll be striking out on his own that the series should pickup, but they could milk it for another half an episode.
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:20 am Reply with quote
"William Maryblood?" That's a terrible last name, grandpa. Otherwise this show continues to entertain me.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Maybe its all the monologue (Will the monologist!)

Having read the LN, I think the heavy use monologues is because the LN was written entirely in first-person perspective.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Found an interesting post on the author's Syosetu account.

They admitted they were diagnosed with anxiety, are still on anti-anxiety medication and that it affected their capability to face and write out Paladin's manuscript.

Quote:
In the worst case, I even sweated and hesitated for a few hours to open this activity report page.

https://mypage.syosetu.com/mypageblog/view/userid/491287/blogkey/2831854/
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
"William Maryblood?" That's a terrible last name, grandpa.

Beats William Bloodymary. Smile

Is "sellsword" a typo for "spellsword" or is that a sword & sorcery term I'm unfamiliar with? I'm often out of the loop on this stuff.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is "sellsword" a typo for "spellsword" or is that a sword & sorcery term I'm unfamiliar with? I'm often out of the loop on this stuff.

Not a typo, it’s definitely sellsword. It basically means a soldier for hire. Not sure who coined the word, but it’s been in general use in fantasy novels for quite some time now. Easy to miss if you don’t happen to read the novels that use the term.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:04 am Reply with quote
I don't, so thanks for the info. Learn something new every day! Smile
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:22 am Reply with quote
Reviewer wrote:
The Faraway Paladin downshifts a bit further and settles into a groove that is a little more familiar territory. Honestly, I'm a bit torn on how I feel about this.

i'm kind of glad we are finally shifting the setting, as i said before, the build up/backstory was taking 1 to many episodes.
I do agree with you on how generic the locations were looking.

The first thing I thought when I saw the village was this was either a carbon copy of the one he trained in or he some how made it back home. We shall see where it goes from here. I suspect it will be another 2-3 episodes before he makes it to another civilization

On the contrary i did enjoy how Will had to navigate his first interaction with the Elf Archer the whole will he think I'm an enemy thing was an interesting monologue to me.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:47 am Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:

I suspect it will be another 2-3 episodes before he makes it to another civilization

I guess I was kind of wrong they made it to the village in a single episode but I wouldn't call it a civilization. I really meant it would be 2-3 before he reached a bustling town.

I agree with the Reviewer, this series is playing it very safe, that, as the reviewer stated maybe a result of the pandemic or a conscious choice. either way, it's def turning into Generic Isekai meets Generic Fantasy.

O' Well, in for a penny in for a pound.

Last edited by Picky33 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I agree that it's slowed down a bit. We did just come off the exciting pervious bout with a god and the departure of his family. So I expected this slow-down and am expecting a similar build-up towards the end of the season. Perhaps it's necessary for two people unused to other people to get along. The Ghost lady previewed in the ED surprisingly turns up here. I thought she'd be a more major character, but it seems that this is a small role here? Given that they've pointed the way towards the mountain as the source of some monster activity, I'm guessing we'll probably see more forests en route to a major town to meet more principle characters, find those other two party members and then climaxing in a dungeon. The show is still good enough for me, but I do agree that even slower episodes could still be made more interesting with more intriguing world building and foreboding things to come.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to say, as someone who has read the novels, the anime is very faithful to the source material so far. It's as close to a 1:1 adaptation as you can get.
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is the episode that has fully sold me on Faraway Paladin.

Me too, but I have to admit it was the care they'd taken with the pseudo-medieval music that finally sold me. Shame they cheaped out on some of Bee's arm movements when she was playing though, it looked really strange. Anyway, when it came to the end of her song about the boy and the half-elf girl, Will wasn't the only one tearing up. I wonder if he'll ever make it to the late Count Dagger's mansion?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3