• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:46 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And for me there's no small irony in that the swastika (manji) appears in Ichigo's Bankai eyecatch, rather than the Quincy's.

I don't see how it's ironic, though? I'm sure I don't need to point out that the manji is not the Nazi swastika... Not to mention, it's part of the word "bankai" (卍解) and also the tsuba of Ichigo's zanpakutou is shaped like it.

Huh. I'd hoped that including the term "manji" would clarify that I understood why it's on the bankai eyecatch without going into a dissertation about it, but I should've known better.

The irony lies in the juxtaposition of the two screens (which aren't quite so dramatic with actual commercials separating them during broadcast I suppose) and that the Quincy have clearly appropriated Nazi stylings right down to the Hugo Boss inspired clothing (every time they show up I feel like someone swapped in Hellsing Ultimate footage), just as the Nazis appropriated the Hindu swastika. Since the modern western association of the Nazi version has subsequently become one of evil, and because most westerners don't or can't differentiate between swastika/sauwastika (migi manji/manji, if you prefer) any more readily than they can recognize whether DNA is depicted as a left or right (✓) helix, the sight of either triggers instant association with the bad guys. Hence the irony of seeing a perfectly fine yet mentally associated with evil symbol next to Ichigo's image and not with the Quincy's page when viewed practically side by side, because the expectation is that these Quincy are bad and Ichigo is good. I hope that clarifies why I said "for me" it's ironic (and not merely coincidental). YMMV depending on your cultural background, archaeological, psychological and sociological knowledge, and language proficiencies.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
SHD wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And for me there's no small irony in that the swastika (manji) appears in Ichigo's Bankai eyecatch, rather than the Quincy's.

I don't see how it's ironic, though? I'm sure I don't need to point out that the manji is not the Nazi swastika... Not to mention, it's part of the word "bankai" (卍解) and also the tsuba of Ichigo's zanpakutou is shaped like it.

Huh. I'd hoped that including the term "manji" would clarify that I understood why it's on the bankai eyecatch without going into a dissertation about it, but I should've known better.

No, I perfectly understood what you meant, there was no need for the dissertation. I was trying to point out that there was no irony present as far as I'm reading the situation. The manji is not the same symbol as the Nazi swastika, and it's been part of the franchise with its own meanings and associations (mostly the concepts of "total" or "ultimate", referencing "万") since the very beginning, way before Kubo ever thought of this plotline and character designs for the Quincys. So while yes, the Quincy gang = Nazis is an obvious association to make, I'm not really seeing how any irony has been intended here. "I find it ironic that this symbol that is often confused with the Nazi swastika but is not the Nazi swastika and is not used in an even vaguely similar meaning here, is associated with a character who is good, and not with the Nazi-esque bad guys" - I mean, OK, but to me it's not really reading as irony. But to each their own I guess.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:43 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
No, I perfectly understood what you meant, there was no need for the dissertation. I was trying to point out that there was no irony present as far as I'm reading the situation. The manji is not the same symbol as the Nazi swastika, and it's been part of the franchise with its own meanings and associations (mostly the concepts of "total" or "ultimate", referencing "万") since the very beginning, way before Kubo ever thought of this plotline and character designs for the Quincys. So while yes, the Quincy gang = Nazis is an obvious association to make, I'm not really seeing how any irony has been intended here. "I find it ironic that this symbol that is often confused with the Nazi swastika but is not the Nazi swastika and is not used in an even vaguely similar meaning here, is associated with a character who is good, and not with the Nazi-esque bad guys" - I mean, OK, but to me it's not really reading as irony. But to each their own I guess.

Yes, you are arguing meaning, Gina is arguing perception. To someone ignorant of the meaning of the manji, it looks like the "swastika" is being associated with the good guy, while the villains are more Nazi-inspired. That's where the irony exists: in that misunderstanding.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
SHD wrote:

Yes, you are arguing meaning, Gina is arguing perception. To someone ignorant of the meaning of the manji, it looks like the "swastika" is being associated with the good guy, while the villains are more Nazi-inspired. That's where the irony exists: in that misunderstanding.

But as I said above, to me this does not read as irony. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Perhaps the person ignorant of the manji's meaning would find it ironic (then again, in that case this person should have been finding the existence of the manji in the show and in connection with the good guys ironic since the very early chapters/episodes of the first anime), but I'm not seeing how that fact itself is ironic, if you know what I mean? Anyway I think we've talked enough about this, so if you think I'm wrong I'll just have to make peace with that.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
SHD wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

The irony lies in the juxtaposition of the two screens (which aren't quite so dramatic with actual commercials separating them during broadcast I suppose) and that the Quincy have clearly appropriated Nazi stylings right down to the Hugo Boss inspired clothing (every time they show up I feel like someone swapped in Hellsing Ultimate footage), just as the Nazis appropriated the Hindu swastika. Since the modern western association of the Nazi version has subsequently become one of evil, and because most westerners don't or can't differentiate between swastika/sauwastika (migi manji/manji, if you prefer) any more readily than they can recognize whether DNA is depicted as a left or right (✓) helix, the sight of either triggers instant association with the bad guys. Hence the irony of seeing a perfectly fine yet mentally associated with evil symbol next to Ichigo's image and not with the Quincy's page when viewed practically side by side, because the expectation is that these Quincy are bad and Ichigo is good. I hope that clarifies why I said "for me" it's ironic (and not merely coincidental). YMMV depending on your cultural background, archaeological, psychological and sociological knowledge, and language proficiencies.

I mean, I automatically saw it as Ichigo's hilt. I see where you're coming from, but I don't think they were trying to get folks to read that deeply into it. But who knows.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:30 am Reply with quote
Hmm, not sure where the idea came from that I was arguing that it was some intentional ironic wink by the author or animators (which I don't believe and didn't suggest it was), but I'll reiterate once more, to me, the visual juxtaposition was ironic. I did not view the use of the manji alone, prior to the introduction of the Germanic, Nazi-esque Quincy, as ironic. And again I acknowledge ymmv.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I am still liking the revived series a lot, but part of me feels like they whip out the old bankai a bit too quickly now. I get that the captains in question did so in part to test the anti-bankai measures the quincy have though. That said, they concluded that they could not win without using said bankai rather quickly without making full use of the abilities they have (kido, speed blitzing etc).
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I remember it was around this time I sat there and thought:

"Ok, this, this and that, and it's going to happen because it's the laziest posible way to get the plot going."

Everything resulted to be truth and was a huge letdown.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:21 pm Reply with quote
And this is pretty much where Chad and Orihime spoiler[ stopped being relevant in the manga, so I'm pulling for them to get more scenes in the anime version.]

Poor Shunsui always seems to go against the gun-wielders...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the Captains and their Bankai's again in a modern anime with the new visuals was amazing. Everybody's got more drip and Senbonzakura Kageyoshi never looked so beautiful.

It's also nice to see the Sternritter in animation and establishing they're a force to be reckoned with. And voiced by top tier seiyuu. Like how often do some of these guys get to actually play bad guys? I know Yuki Ono is Ultraman Belial and I think Umehara's maybe played a few villains, but you've also got Tomoaki Maeno and Ayana Taketatsu killing it as Bambietta (also she's in, like, 4 shows this season. And she's the lead of one in the next season. How many of these did she record while pregnant?).

Sorry Not!Aizen. You delivered your exposition and got bisected for your trouble.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:54 am Reply with quote
The captains getting their bankais stolen has to be one of the dumbest parts of this series considering a vicecaptain died in order to tell everybody this ability. Also, aren't the shinigamis able to fight using other methods without the zanpakuto? Even the filler arcs used a similar a concept of rebellious zanpakutos but with more personality.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:30 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
The captains getting their bankais stolen has to be one of the dumbest parts of this series considering a vicecaptain died in order to tell everybody this ability. Also, aren't the shinigamis able to fight using other methods without the zanpakuto? Even the filler arcs used a similar a concept of rebellious zanpakutos but with more personality.

Sasakibe only managed to say that the bankais were "blocked", when in fact they get stolen. One removes power from your side, the other removes power from your side and adds it to your opponent.

Right now they only have the Kido, Hand to Hand and Shikai(?).
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:04 pm Reply with quote
While I do enjoy seeing Bleach return for nostalgia purposes...I'm reminded just how lazy this arc got. It was painfully clear we were racing for the finish line at this point and while I won't spoil anything, basically see a slew of new characters that won't be given enough time to matter and more of the same from SOME older characters (others basically disappear). In some ways, Bleach anime left at its highest point defeating Aizen. It didn't get better.
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:09 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

There was no reason to be massacred by them using just shikai knowing they cannot make it without their bankai, Byakuya said it quite well. It was either try using bankai and figure out how the enemies did their business (and maybe discover how to counter it) or die in their hands without even trying because they would "seal" them anyway. Nobody with that reasoning thought they could actually steal and use them against the shinigami, now THAT would be stupid in case they actually DID know. Their course of action was the most natural pragmatic decision.

One could argue that Byakuya could have made Renji use his instead of him (one of the few lieutenants at this point in time with a bankai of some sort), but that would go against his characterization (as well as most of any of the Gotei 13 Captains') as a whole. Then again, that could also have ruined a reveal later on, spoiler[regarding Renji's true bankai compared to the fake one manifested by Zabimaru], so all the more reason for Kubo not to have Renji use it just yet (would be a neat foreshadowing though).
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:10 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

You think that's one of the dumbest parts yet ?
We have an invasion done by an army trained to manipulate reishi in an area made entirely of reishi and not once have the decided to go full on absorb and manipulate that to be even more dominant.

But hey it's shounen and pissing on constistency of writing while easy isn't enjoyable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12