• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
All I Want For Christmas Is More Classic Shōjo Anime!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:22 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I would love for Dear Brother to get licensed rescued by Discotek

Yeah, they put it out in 2021 already. But be warned that the stock is drying up and they might not be able to print more.

I've tried to do my part in showing that I will buy it for all these classic shojo and have doubledipped for them over the years. I have the Anime Sols and Discotek Dear Brother, Nozomi and Discotek Rose of Versailles (and Udon's manga), Sentai's '80s Glass Mask (wish someone would print the whole '00s one), Funimation and Discotek Kodocha, Media Blasters' and Discotek Saint Tail, etc. I'll be picking up Georgie and Nanoha (for the second time), too.

Totally agree with the series already listed, but I must confess that Aim for the Ace was my white whale and I'm still swooning from it getting released. Never thought a '70s sports shoujo would have seen the light of day in English. But I'd love to see some of the World Masterpiece ladies like My Annette, Perrine Story, or Little Princess Sara come out officially. Oh! Or Daddy Long Legs.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else think that Shoujo girls have beautiful eyes?
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
But I'd love to see some of the World Masterpiece ladies like My Annette, Perrine Story, or Little Princess Sara come out officially. Oh! Or Daddy Long Legs.

Oh, some World Masterpiece anime would be great. Their adaptation of Anne of Green Gables is a particular favourite of mine, and I'd love a chance to own that.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
I'd be glad for anyone to pick up the second part of the Mask Of Glass remake.
Dear lord, yes. I often look at my Part 1 of Glass Mask on my shelf and I'll sigh because I feel like I'll never have it completed. I'm glad that CR has the whole series available for streaming, but it's not the same as having it on a physical release.

As mentioned, the 90s OVAs would be nice too. And if someone could take the chance on the manga so I don't have to sporadically try and collect the Japanese versions for the sake of having them, that'd be lovely too.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I guess my classics/retro license wishlists mainly center on 90s and 2000s content. Which for the shoujo genre includes Sugar Sugar Rune and Shugo Chara, as well as rescues for stuff like Petite Princess Yucie, Full Moon, and Fancy Lala.

Triltaison wrote:

I've tried to do my part in showing that I will buy it for all these classic shojo and have doubledipped for them over the years. I have the Anime Sols and Discotek Dear Brother, Nozomi and Discotek Rose of Versailles (and Udon's manga), Sentai's '80s Glass Mask (wish someone would print the whole '00s one), Funimation and Discotek Kodocha, Media Blasters' and Discotek Saint Tail, etc. I'll be picking up Georgie and Nanoha (for the second time), too.

Despite being a Magical Girl show, Nanoha is definitely not shoujo -- it's a "make the little girl a Magical Girl" spinoff of the Triangle Hearts erogame (along similar lines as the Pretty Sammy and Prisma Illya series), and is fully aimed at adult male otaku. Still a worthwhile and entertaining franchise, at least for those who can get past the questionable loli fanservice.
F302 Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I would love for Dear Brother to get licensed rescued by Discotek

Yeah, they put it out in 2021 already. But be warned that the stock is drying up and they might not be able to print more.

Totally agree with the series already listed, but I must confess that Aim for the Ace was my white whale and I'm still swooning from it getting released. Never thought a '70s sports shoujo would have seen the light of day in English. But I'd love to see some of the World Masterpiece ladies like My Annette, Perrine Story, or Little Princess Sara come out officially. Oh! Or Daddy Long Legs.

I suggest finding a copy of Dear Brother and other out of prints Discotek titles at conventions, i was lucky that i find the J9 Trilogy at Sakura-Con
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:33 pm Reply with quote
@Zalis: Oh, I know Nanoha technically isn't but still... older magical girl shows are fairly rare breeds to get picked up in their own right. I'd even be happy to see Papillon Rose in print again.

I'm definitely with you for Shugo Chara, Sugar Sugar Rune, and Full Moon (still have my half set). Lala and Yucie deserve to be in print again, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2