• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Fifth Element

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

And Melanie from CA, I'd say you've got a very respectable beginning to your collection. Even the largest collector with the biggest collection started small, it's not about being able to drop fat cash at the drop of a hat.

I think it's actually a fairly nice sized collection, for someone who only started collecting a year and a half ago! But it's true, it DOES take time to start to really build up, and a majority of us have been been doing it for many many years.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
I am hoping Mardock Scramble will get a blu-ray release when all 3 films are available(at least a couple years away, sadly). Read the novel as well, if you get the chance, the manga is pretty good, too.

Did you notice that almost every name in it is an egg reference? Balot(chick cooked inside it's own egg) SHELL Septinos? Dr EASTER??

yes, Oeufcoque is as well, really he's named after the dish called oeuf a la coque.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
I am hoping Mardock Scramble will get a blu-ray release when all 3 films are available(at least a couple years away, sadly). Read the novel as well, if you get the chance, the manga is pretty good, too.

Sentai has already confirmed bluray plans for the films. The first one will be released next year.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
Cannot wait for Mardock on Bluray; the Japanese release is friggin gorgeous, and has english subtitles (but heavy grain in the video....intentional?). I almost want to just go for that one.

Also, that Coicent/5 Numbers bluray seems like such a rip. 60 minutes for $39.99? Rolling Eyes
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
Was anyone else a little disturbed by the 9/11 joke at the end of one of the shin chan episodes? I forget if it was part 1 or 2 of season 3. It was something like "this is how people on flight 93 must have felt before they felt the ground". The timing of thr release is a little too close to the ten year anniversary. I stopped watching after that joke. Surprised
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Shin-chan's humor got old pretty fast. There are just so many abortion jokes you can make.

At least the cast is pretty solid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gwdone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Nice review on Scramble. I of course purchased it and liked what I saw.

I also appreciate the advice on those other two (rent shelf) titles. I doubt I would have taken the bait even without the review.

I do enjoy the all cg Appleseed movies, (the sharp crisp glassy looking backgrounds rule)but you're correct on the movement part. It's just not there yet. Two good examples are Freedom and Sky Crawlers. I don't know for a fact that they are both all CG, (since I'm just a ignorant fan), but they sure had that awkward feel to the character movements.

Shin Chan will never be viewed by me. The artwork just doesn't meet my specs at all, plus from what I understand, the humor is decent until the main character shows up = doesn't cut it.

Thanks again!!! Very valuable stuff!

Last edited by gwdone on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwdone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh,, ,and nice anime collection there. I know all to well about the feeling of starting late. Unlike most Hollywood anything, it's never to late to start in on some great anime Smile
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
IIRC, the Adult Swim Shin-chan put together different episodes parts, so the original narrative wouldn't work.

Although I believe that, many of the episodes I watched looked nearly complete. I'm just guessing, but they seemed to follow a Japanese episode about 90% of way through.

bmt528i wrote:
Was anyone else a little disturbed by the 9/11 joke at the end of one of the shin chan episodes? I forget if it was part 1 or 2 of season 3. It was something like "this is how people on flight 93 must have felt before they felt the ground".

That was definitely in this set. It was a little rough, but I laughed. Sometimes humor is about taking risks and pushing the envelope. I suppose Shin Chan is guaranteed to offend everyone with at least one line.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Bit of historical trivia correction to the review of Coicent.

"His arrival happens to coincide with the city's 1700th anniversary"

Actually that would be 2000th anniversary.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Talk about coincidences... I just got Mardock Scramble for my birthday! Razz (I unwrapped the present like 10 minutes ago) Really looking forward to watching it!
staab99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I recently saw Mardock Scramble at a friends house and I really surprised by this film. It hooked me from the start, now I want watch the 2nd film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2