• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Card Captor Chihaya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razzuel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Chihayafuru continues to get the love it so greatly deserves! Never have I felt so in tune with a reviewer's opinion on ANN, haha. I agree; it is the best show this season, and it's shaping up to be one of my favorite shows ever. I already have the first two Blu-ray volumes preordered.

It really succeeds in everything it does. Karuta is an immensely fascinating game to me, I've fallen in love with the characters, and the subtle romantic elements are so very well executed.

I'm also in agreement that Fate/Zero is the second best show this season. I find it so much more interesting than Fate/stay night. Not only are the servants better, but the masters are better too. Even though I already know how it ends from Fate/stay night, it continues to captivate me.

AnimeMaine wrote:
Because of Chihayafuru, I got interested enough to ask White Rabbit Express, a Japanese buying service, if they could recommend a Karuta set (with CD) so my wife could get it for me for Christmas. Now their affiliate, White Rabbit Press, is selling a set. [For potential cynics, I am not affiliated with the firm and don't get anything for passing on this information, other than the satisfaction that someone else might be interested in Karuta.]

I looked up the set on their website, and I'm seriously considering purchasing it, but I know I'd never be able to play it, sadly. I know I have the motivation and determination to learn hiragana and all 100 poems, but I can't seriously expect anyone else to do the same. I don't even know where I would find someone to play with and someone else to read the yomifuda. I don't know anyone personally who's watching the show; the couple friends I do have that watch anime either hate Chihayafuru (I don't understand his opinion at all) or aren't interested in it.

Sigh.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I agree with your high rating of Chihaya and Fate/Zero, both of which are the best shows by far. I have to disagree about Future Diary, though. Maybe I am the only one, but I simply cannot stand Yukki nor the stalker chic. Everything about Yukki just screams Hikikomori even if he is still a teen. Perhaps that's why there is such a draw from the otaku crowd? I suppose the stalker chic has insane!moe going for her, but I find her just stupid. Anyway, I think HxH should be rated higher than Future diary, if for no other reason than it is much more interesting even if iy is dated.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
mpg13 wrote:
No violence or fan service and still fun to watch.

I'd consider the opposite to be more surprising xD
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
mpg13 wrote:
No violence or fan service and still fun to watch.

I'd consider the opposite to be more surprising xD

This is funny because it's so true.
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised at the sizable gap between Guilty Crown and Mirai Nikki, given how outlandishly comedic the two can be at the least appropriate of times.

I suppose having a crazy axe murderer as a lead character might have something to do with it, though.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
zeonozero wrote:

I don't like how Future Diary went down either. The kid may have been annoying, but at least we are getting a diverse range of characters who own diaries, not just teenagers and middle adults, it was a good episode.

I love the kid, too. I think he's a great character, and I had an insane amount of fun watching the last couple of episodes. However, if you read the "Status" below the review, it mentions that the only reason it "fell" is because Fate/zero rose above it this week. So it didn't go down-- it was just surpassed.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:14 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
However, if you read the "Status" below the review, it mentions that the only reason it "fell" is because Fate/zero rose above it this week. So it didn't go down-- it was just surpassed.

I think you're really going to have to sort that out, because the current system is not logical and not working.

I say keep the arrows, but make them indicate objective quality, not subjective quality when compared to other series. So if a show gets an up arrow, that means your opinion of it actually improved compared to last time.

As for relative ranks, use the standard system for ranking things week by week.

Example, using the last two columns:

Current Rank (Last Week's Rank) Name of Anime

1 (1) Chihayafuru
2 (3) Fate/Zero
3 (2) Future Diary
4 (4) HUNTER x HUNTER
5 (5) Phi Brain
6 (6) Last Exile ~Fam, the Silver Wing~
7 (8) Persona 4: The Animation
8 (9) UN-GO
9 (7) Guilty Crown
10 (10) Majikoi - Oh! Samurai Girls

Not only is this system logical but it is widely used as well, so most people are familiar with it. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I really love this column, but you can make it so much better with so little effort. I implore you to make the changes I have suggested.
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
I agree with the list to a great extent but Mirai Nikki shouldn't even be on the list. That crappy anime just tries to capitalize on cheap shock-value, which by the way isn't all that shocking, rather it borders on idiocy.

A little "prodigious" psychotic kid who can procure biohazard material in a rigged paper bag and a gas mask through mail order doesn't make any sense. That whole episode was one implausible set-piece.

This anime is just a cheap thriller without any depth. If something like this equates to lasting entertainment value then I'm at a loss for words.
TD912

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:05 am Reply with quote
Last Exile... Beautifully animated, decent story and everything, but I find the characters annoying for some reason! I think the show is trying to do too many things at once.

It's trying to cater to all the fans of the previous series with a complex war story, fantasy elements, and an overdose of well-animated CGI ship battles... but at the same time, cater to the crowd that enjoys comedy and "cute girl" series. Not just the girls, but all of the characters on the "good side" seem to always have a sense of humor.

Don't get we wrong, I like both comedy and "serious" shows, but the generally happy, carefree attitudes of all the characters just doesn't seem to mesh well with the more serious parts of the story.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
Other than the positioning of Guilty Crown, this list hits it pretty well on the head.

Chihayafuru is, hands down, the best of the batch this season, though I was too tired to watch the new episode last night...

I just started Fate/Zero last week when I had a few minutes to watch something on my Kindle Fire and there weren't any new eps of shows I was following on Crunchyroll. I didn't finish the first episode, but got past the half-way point, which should have been the first episode, since it is double length. So far it is interesting, but I haven't seen or played the original, so it is a bit confusing.

Mirai Nikki is just good, old fashioned, psychotic fun!

Guilty Crown is such a joy to watch in terms of art and action sequences that I can be very forgiving of the cliches, but more than that, it uses the cliches well. Take the "Hot Shonen Mom walks in on her son in an awkward situation" bit that Bamboo mentioned. It uses it to get a laugh and a knowing nod, then goes right past it without wallowing in it. (spoiler[Unlike Mirai Nikki, which harped on it for a good part of the episode, including the mom telling her middle school aged son to sleep with her, as long as they don't make any babies!]) The scene at the end of that episode with Shu's mom looking at the picture adds a bit of depth to it, spoiler[and makes you wonder if she already knew Inori...] The party scene and the use of the student council president to defeat the over the top attack was predictable, but the shield was actually a decent bit of story, when you consider that the voids reflect the innermost self of the person, the fact that the "always together and on top of things" student council president's void is an impenetrable shield actually counts as character building, though that part of her personality had already been telegraphed. The show keeps me coming back and I usually don't forget to watch.

Last Exile is so beautiful to watch, and the music is wonderful. I personally don't have any issues with the voice acting or the content of the cast, but the lack of a true male lead is a odd. I guess it prevents the story from straying from the intrigue and war strategies into rom-com territory, though it does seem to border on shojo-ai from time to time. (Kind of like a steampunk Blue Drop.) For the most part, it is one of the ones I look forward to most each week. (Yes, it would be better on BD on a 55" TV, but I don't have one of those and my TV isn't much bigger than my monitor, so I don't feel I'm missing that much... Smile )
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
So Fate/Zero is in the top three while in a previous review from the first 6 episodes (animenewsnetwork.com/review/fate/zero/episodes-1) it got an overall C? Did these episodes improve it a lot

About the jokes from Persona 4, don't we have the same type of jokes between people from different sexes in each other anime? Nevertheless, Kanji turned out to be a cool character.
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
So Fate/Zero is in the top three while in a previous review from the first 6 episodes it got an overall C? Did these episodes improve it a lot

Different reviewers give different reviews.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
You really voiced some good and basic insights.
I haven't watched any of the new Last Exile show, at first I convinced myself it was because I wanted to rewatch the old one, but I've read enough to know it's not necessary to do. It seems like a show I'd enjoy, so why haven't I watched it? But I think you put your finger on my unconscious thought.... this is a show I know will be better marathoned. Like the way I have temporarily abandoned watching Mawaru Penguindrum, some shows should be watched in quick order in a way that helps you concentrate on what's going on, I'm thinking Fam is one of them.

Quote:
But come next week, I always have to ask myself, “Hey, what about that uh… Guilty Crown show? Didn't you forget to watch it again?”

Haha! That's exactly what happened to me last weekend. I've been watching all the Funico shows on the weekend and a couple days later that occured to me... "Did I forget to watch Guilty Crown? How many episodes am I behind?" But I do enjoy it.

Even HunterXHUnter has exceeded m expectations. I had declared I was dropping it a few weeks back because I wasn't in the "mood" for a shonen fighting show, but a couple weeks later I ended up going back and watched the ones I missed and have continued watching since. A good part of that is probably the ease of the CR stream.

I'm a bit confused by your Phi-Brain review and placement though. It's stupid, it makes no sense, the puzzles are so omnipresent as to ruin a normal person's enjoyment of them... yet it's so "fun" it gets a higher rating than shows you seemingly have more positive things to say about? Confused But I defer to your judgement, I ditched it after the 2nd episode.

As for Chihayafuru, I like it, I really do, but it doesn't captivate me in the way you and others here describe. I think it has to do with my own experience in HIgh School. I too had a humongous crush on a girl-friend who happened to a supremely cute social misfit (actually I had crushes on a few of them- but one in particular), that's what Chihaya is portrayed as here but I never really get that sense that she'd be a person popular people would avoid. I think that's what I want here, a story of real misfits finding their place, but instead they seem like a rather normal bunch with a unique hobby, and the main trio forma sort of quasi love triangle of beautiful people.
Still, they're all likable people, the hobby is interesting, and the love triangle could lead into an interesting place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sillyriri

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I don't think the anime (or game) of Persona 4 is genuinely homophobic. Sure, spoiler[Yu, Yosuke, and Chie were nervous about facing Shadow Kanji, but all the Shadow versions are overly-exaggerated versions of the person's hidden-self so they were right to be nervous. Obviously the genuine Kanji would never molest Yu and Yosuke or hate women (he even points out how the latter is not true) just like how the real Chie considers Yukiko her best friend and not just someone she uses to make herself feel better. Sure, Yosuke might be uncomfortable sleeping next to him, but it doesn't change the fact that he still considers Kanji to be a friend. Plus there's the fact that Yu thinks Kanji should be proud of his "feminine" side.

Actually, so far, the anime has been nicer to Hanako (the overweight girl) than the game. In the game, she's quite the arrogant jerk, here she doesn't seem particularly mean. And heck, Kanji seemed to feel something for her so they even avoided implying "she's fat, so no one could be interested in her". like the game sorta did.]

Also on the subject of the 'portrayal of gays as flamboyant, sex-crazed maniacs' thing: spoiler[there's the thing about the Midnight Channel showing what people expect/ want to see, rather than just a reflection of the person who is in there. So, considering that at this point, it's pretty clear that more random people are hearing about it and watching it, if they'd expect a manly man who has a fear of women to secretly be extremely flamboyant, that's what'll show up.]
Uh, to paraphrase that without the spoilery parts for people who haven't played the game: as far as the shadows go, there's a reason they're so exaggerated, even if it just seems kinda horrible now. Can't really give a reason why it has to carry across so much to just everyday happenings though.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I have with Chihayafuru is the weird white highlights they get on the side of their faces.

Weird Confused

Everything is else about it is brilliant of course. I haven't seen anything as good as this for ages. (Okay, I finished Emma about a month ago but that doesn't count because...)

Episode 9 was the best yet for romantic tension and Taichi sympathy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3