• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Adventures in Voice Acting Volume 1: Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I definitely will be checking this out. I've had a childhood pipe dream of being a voice actor that never quite went away, so I'm sure I will be endlessly fascinated by this.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Key wrote:
Most interesting comment in the whole piece? Crispin Freeman's explanation about how he was a big fan who hated English dubs before he got into the business because he thought they were generally bad.

Oh, that's interesting. He said the same thing during his panel at the 2007 Phoenix Comicon. I bet he mentions that every time he tells the story of how he got into anime voice acting.

of course, cause its true, voice acting did suck before then. Crispin was the man then and he's still the man now.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
of course, cause its true, voice acting did suck before then. Crispin was the man then and he's still the man now.

I have to agree he really became my favorite after I played xenosaga despite liking him in many other shows. He would have been a good light yagami.
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow I'm dying to get this DVD, but I'm dissapointed not to see Brad Swaile or Chris Sabat in this. Crying or Very sad
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Watashi wa Ryuzaki wrote:
Wow I'm dying to get this DVD, but I'm dissapointed not to see Brad Swaile or Chris Sabat in this. Crying or Very sad

hmm.... thats true, I used to hate Brad Swaile, but after Death Note and mostly after Black Lagoon and seeing him at Anime North, I respect the guy a lot now. Chris Sabat is also really great, they missed a few more that I thought of before but can't remember now. Shouldn't use people like Tom Kenny cause I don't wanna hear bout the American side of voice acting unless they're comparing.

Brian Drummond, Chris Patton, and Monica Rial aren't there either that I can think of at the moment.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
All righty then, looks like you can purchase a copy at their website:

http://www.adventuresinvoiceacting.com/?page_id=11
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember that few if any of the Canadian VA's are in this volume (IIRC because they interviewed most of the actors at conventions in the U.S. and they simply didn't have access to them), which was a shame. I'm hoping if they do a Vol. 2 for Adventures in Voice Acting that they can cover the Canadian VA's because from everything I've read/heard on the subject there are some major differences at times on how it works in Canada verse the U.S.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Volume 2 will actually specifically focus on voice-overs for video games, and volume 3 is to focus on voicing for animation in general (read: American animation, I think) rather than anime specifically.

And it certainly looked to me like the overwhelming majority of the interviews took place in "on the job" settings. In fact, there was only one brief clip that I can recall that specifically looked like it was from a 'con, hence my comments about the DVD's biggest flaw being that it didn't deal with the fan scene at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kadian1364

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Volume 2 will actually specifically focus on voice-overs for video games, and volume 3 is to focus on voicing for animation in general (read: American animation, I think) rather than anime specifically.

Aha! I was wondering if there were more to come because the naming "Volume 1: Anime" implies more than one volume. There's definitely a lot of crossover work between anime, video games, and other animation, so I'll look forward to those too. Very Happy
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
Cant see CR stealing this one
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Well I was just reporting what I had read back when they were making the show. Since you've actually seen the disk, I'll bow to what you have to say Key.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
For foley work, Toonami is hosting a (really) brief behind-the-scenes video of just that for the second Naruto movie:

http://www.toonamijetstream.com/dlink/index.html?episodeID=8a25c3921b116853011b13341ae90019

I assume this is just a shorter version of what can be found on the DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Yikes! That's a steep price for a documentary.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
I agree, I like to get to know the voice actors well, but I can learn just as much by asking Freeman at his group for free.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Yikes! That's a steep price for a documentary.

Pricey? It seems pretty fair to me. It's not that much more than a normal dvd price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3