• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Giving Tree

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimyo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Yay! I'm so happy to see KKM deemed "Shelfworthy"!
I've already pre-ordered the next volume!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Yeah, I could never imagine converting my collection to thinpack, even though space is a very real concern for me (small college apartments are not conductive to lots of stuff). I mean, they don't print those covers to fit in thinpacks... so the spins are too big to fit the thinpack size... so some of it must now be on the sides. Plus I would think you would have to trim some of the edges then... mutilation! But as long as the collection is for their own personal enjoyment, more power to 'em.

Trim?
Why trim?
Fold is fine. The cover is already folded at the spine, so it's just as easy to fold it in half there if it's a cover one likes. One can always take it out to look at it if one wishes. They're sitting on a shelf where one can only see the spine anyway.
If the stupid company didn't use superglue labels, one can remove that white title strip from the top of the dvd, cut it down & stick it on the outside of the slim dvd so it's totally legible to read the name of the dvd in the thin sleeve.
Boxes? One would probably leave the boxes alone. On the other hand, I have some where I either didn't buy one of the set boxes (Utena) or the company didn't box it (Saint Seiya last 4 dvds. Glare at ADV for abandoning Seiya fans) so one can either use the thin cases or the double dvd cases to fit all the set into one's existing boxes.

Wow. KKM got praised. I'm hoping we see the rest of the series released (OVA, etc) as well as Saiyuki's OVA
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Well, I am one who always got artboxes before I realized I had zero space to continue to do so. I don't use thinpack DVD cases to shrink it down though. I have found 3, 4, and 6-in-1 DVD cases that hold it in a standard size DVD case. So all my series that are 6 DVD's or less take up no more than 1 DVD slot on my shelves. Even with this I am running out of room! (I have a very small amount of space in my room for storage, and the owner of the place I am renting from won't let me store them outside of my bedroom.) All my artboxes are kept in storage, so I still have them for that day when I get my own place (hopefully someday!).

(edited for grammar)
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Oriana3k wrote:
That guy's manga isn't alphabetized, and it bothers me like you wouldn't BELIEVE. Anime dazed

Hopefully it's just manga that would bother you because you'd also be bothered by my sizable DVD collection. I arrange them according to how much I liked a series. Although sometimes it boils down to just finding room for it all. Shocked

*twitch* .. wow, the glare (and gaps from titles stored elsewhere) distracted me ... damn shiny objects.

CCSYueh wrote:
Fold is fine.

*twitch*twitch* Creases are fine? *twitch*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Why not just pool then donate the panties to charitable organizations? Confused

(Then again, people who like Shuffle enough to buy the box, probably are the type to keep it anyways.... Laughing )
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully someone who actually bought the artbox can answer this for me-- out of morbid curiosity, what size are the panties?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Hopefully someone who actually bought the artbox can answer this for me-- out of morbid curiosity, what size are the panties?

Isn't it one of those adjustable types?
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I want to know ( why are panties even part of this collection?).

Anyway, I think the opposite; The dragon ball movies are probably the strongest part of the entire story. The reasons?

Closed Story Line

No "exteneded" powering up ( how long are anime minutes anyway? Must be some sort of Einstein Frame of Reference theory appeal)

It gets the fighting job done ( action is not repeated over and over again, much better than the series )

I think this is the best way to get your Dragon Ball fix, assuming you have one.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:
I think this is the best way to get your Dragon Ball fix, assuming you have one.

Nah, if we're talking about speeding the pace up, then the manga's the way to go. For example, Goku vs. Frieza was decently paced for a major fight, it was the anime that decided to dedicate whole episodes to absolutely nothing happening during the fight.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

CCSYueh wrote:
Fold is fine.

*twitch*twitch* Creases are fine? *twitch*

It depends on the title. All covers are folded, aren't they? Depending on the title, I do fold many titles at the back fold. Yeah, that exposes the back half of the dvd, but sitting on my shelf I'm not seeing the back. I can open it to see the full cover if I wish or simply open the dvd. So far I've avoided thin-packing my favs, but with over 2000 anime dvds & another 2000+manga (Box the finished sets I don't plan on re-reading regularly), I'm running out oif wall space for bookcases. I have 6 right now.

Some Geneon cases required removing the dvd from the case entirely such as Kyo Kara Maoh & Requiem From the Darkness. Then one has to find a different place for the covers anyway. Look at the Kenshin bento boxes one was able to buy minus the dvds so one could slide one's already purchased dvds into them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3