• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime on Conan O'Brian

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:57 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
The network has to take into consideration what show will make them the most money, and in CC/DC case they didn't take that into consideration. 1st of all there are over 300 episdoes of CC/DC. I don't think viewers would stick around for an anime that will NEVER end. (example: pokemon. need I say more) Why wold they air a show that has an endless # of episodes? It will never finish. At least in the begining of pokemon, no one knew how long it was going to go for, CC/DC's case, we do.

Then how do you explain the popularity of Inu-Yasha?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:00 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:

I must have had a brain cramp for not including Inu-Yasha Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:08 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:

Actually, popularity has alot to do with it. They could look around the net, and see what the talk of the town is on unliscenced or recently liscenced anime. They can have surveys to see which ones the should air. Give the viewers chosses, and the most popular one becomes the new show. (Also that would increase veiwship) How can you say that popularity of a show has nothing to do with it? Viewship=money, sucky show= less viewership, less viewship=less money. The network has to take into consideration what show will make them the most money, and in CC/DC case they didn't take that into consideration. 1st of all there are over 300 episdoes of CC/DC. I don't think viewers would stick around for an anime that will NEVER end. (example: pokemon. need I say more) Why wold they air a show that has an endless # of episodes? It will never finish. At least in the begining of pokemon, no one knew how long it was going to go for, CC/DC's case, we do.

Unfortunately, its not that easy.

As been stated before elsewhere, CN isn't on speaking terms with ADV Films, and the only stuff that CN airs is FUNi, 4Kids, Bandai, and Geneon/Pioneer.

Pierre mentioned Sakura Diaries, Amazing Nurse Nanako, or Bubblegum Crisis in his arguement. Let's part them out and see how bloody complicated this is gonna get. And let's assume for one moment these titles are the tops of the fandom.

Bubblegum Crisis is a two-edge blade. Pierre wasn't too specific which Bubblegum Crisis he liked, so this complicates things abit. ADV has BGC2040 Tokyo, AD Police TV, and supposedly Parasite Dolls. AnimEigo has BGC 2032 and Crash!, and Manga has (had?) the AD Police OAV. Again, ADV isn't on speaking terms with CN, and both AnimEigo and Manga have little to no experence in US TV Marketing, let alone have their properties hit TV (Granted, Manga and Geneon have co-ownership rights to Stand Alone Complex, but other than Pay Cable, Manga seems to have little to no experence in Basic Cable).

Amazing Nurse Nanako is a Geneon Property, so Pierre hit right. HOWEVER, Sakura Diaries is an ADV Property. Which would cancel it out.

Out of three titles, it's a tie. He hit one, missed one, and wasn't clear on another.

Also, theres other things to consider. The FCC, the "underinformed and witless" American Parent, various petty SIG's (Special Interest Groups), and others that I am too lazy to name. Plus, the apparent BS attitudes of Willams Street.

So, it's not that easy to slap anime onto CN.
emory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:40 am Reply with quote
CN has dealt with a ton of distributors. Look at the list -

Bandai - (Gundam, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, etc.)
Geneon - (Trigun, Tenchi, Lupin the 3rd)
FUNimation - (DB, YYH, Blue Gender, Conan....)
Sony Pictures - (Cyborg 009, Astro Boy)
ADV Films - (Giant Robot Week episodes)
Media Blasters - (Rurouni Kenshin)
Synch Point - (FLCL)
Viz - (Zoids, Hamtaro, Inuyasha)
Harmony Gold - (Robotech, Voltron, more oldies)
Tokyopop - (Reign, Rave Master)
4Kids - (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Shaman King (in Fall))
Manga Entertainment - (Read or Die OAV)
Plastic Cow/Hasbro/WoTC - (Duel Masters)
Sparklin Entertainment - (G-Force)

They definitely don't limit themselves.

jfrog wrote:

maintains interest, has action, bishie, bishie, bishie....

Inuyasha's what I like to call a "ladder climber" anime. In other words, anime fans who were introduced to anime via Toonami, buy some DVDs, but aren't HUGELY dedicated and don't watch things like fansubs, think of watching it as sort of moving up in the anime fandom status.

Last edited by emory on Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Vekou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:41 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Gahhhhhhhhh I swear, whenever I express my dislike of an anime, especialy a recent one and if it just happened to be popular in japan, I always end up not having anyone else to help me, and the entire board goes against me. Like when I tell people how much I hate Gundam seed, they're like "Please, Wing is crap, seed rulez" Then I tell them why, and they start comparing it to WWII (since I'm only 15, do you actually think I would know that much about it?) I'm not going to write anymore about it until I see atleast one other person take my side, because fighting the entire board is
a) annoying
b) useless, since there is no one else to give me the slightest support, there's not much point.

You could just admit that you're wrong. But whatever.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:49 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
CN has dealt with a ton of distributors. Look at the list -

Bandai - (Gundam, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, etc.)
Geneon - (Trigun, Tenchi, Lupin the 3rd)
FUNimation - (DB, YYH, Blue Gender, Conan....)
Sony Pictures - (Cyborg 009, Astro Boy)
ADV Films - (Giant Robot Week episodes)
Media Blasters - (Rurouni Kenshin)
Synch Point - (FLCL)
Viz - (Zoids, Hamtaro, Inuyasha)
Harmony Gold - (Robotech, Voltron, more oldies)
Tokyopop - (Reign, Rave Master)
4Kids - (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Shaman King (in Fall))
Plastic Cow/Hasbro/WoTC - (Duel Masters)
Sparklin Entertainment - (G-Force)

They definitely don't limit themselves.

That may be all the companies CN has dealt with, but we're talking specifically about AS now.
emory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:03 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
That may be all the companies CN has dealt with, but we're talking specifically about AS now.

Haiseikoh wasn't.

Ok, just AS, let's narrow it down

Bandai - (Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Kikaider TV and OAV, Witch Hunter Robin....)
Geneon - (Lupin the 3rd, Trigun)
FUNimation - (Blue Gender, Conan, Fullmetal Alchemist)
Synch Point - (FLCL)
Viz - (Inuyasha)
Tokyopop - (Reign)

Still significant amount seeing as how AS adds less than 7 shows per year.

Also Sony Pictures is producing an original series for Adult Swim with Seth Green.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:10 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:

Bandai - (Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Kikaider TV and OAV, Witch Hunter Robin....)
Geneon - (Lupin the 3rd, Trigun)
FUNimation - (Blue Gender, Conan, Fullmetal Alchemist)
Synch Point - (FLCL)
Viz - (Inuyasha)
Tokyopop - (Reign)

And we can see that the most prominent (we'll say prominent is getting more than 1 series from a company) companies that AS has a relationship with is Bandai, Geneon, and FUNi.

Don't forget that Bandai/Manga is also bringing GitS: SAC to AS.
emory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:19 am Reply with quote
The way people were putting it was like CN ONLY deals with Bandai and FUNimation. I'm just making a point saying they're not all they deal with.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:02 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
The way people were putting it was like CN ONLY deals with Bandai and FUNimation. I'm just making a point saying they're not all they deal with.

Yes, I agree with you. The point I was trying to make, is that AS primarily deals with FUNi, Geneon, and Bandai, so any new series they get would have a better chance of coming from those 3 than others because of the already established relationship. Of course things can change.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:31 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Kazuki-san wrote:

Haiseikoh wasn't.

*slaps you with a huge paper fan*

I was making an example outta Pierres arguement and a comment about CN gauging whats "buzzworthy" in Anime now.

Pierre argued that shows like Sakura Diaries, Amazing Nurse Nanako, and Bubblegum Crisis, should get onto i'm assuming Adult Swim (He mentions Cowboy Bebop and Detective Conan only, not Yu Yu Hakusho, DBZ, the Friday Anime (.hack//Legend of the Twilight & Cyborg 009), or any of the other Saturday titles.). I pointed out that it's not easy to get what you want on CN (Let alone TV), given many factors. I then used those three titles Pierre mentioned as examples, plus some of the back history of vendors that AS has (Obviously, I missed Tokyopop (either by accident, or intentional), Synch Point, and Viz.) and why some titles wouldn't be good picks. Pierre made a good arguement, but then again, it's more wishful thinking than a sound arguement.

*sigh* Doesn't anyone read the entire post anymore? I feel like i'm back in my old Philosophy and Debate classes in College.

edited to add: BTW, Manga shouldn't be on the list yet, because R.O.D. and GitS: SAC isn't on TV yet!!
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:44 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:

You could just admit that you're wrong. But whatever.

I'm not saying that I'm wrong, I just don't feel like aurguing about it. (This, Gundam SEED, anything Dragon ball, the 2nd tenchi movie, and the Samurai Deeper Kyo manga only) I have aurgued on different boards about these topics also, and it all results in a 1vs whole board fight. I just wanted to stick my opinion on her (which apparently seems to be the only different one about CC/DC) That I dislike it, and I totally agreed with that dude about the fact that they should not have put it on the scedual. It may be popular there, but from what I've seen from boards and talked to other anime fans about, it's not. (Same with SEED. on the boards, everyone loves it. When I talk to random anime fans in real life, they hate it. That makes no sense. Anime hyper)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:56 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
(Same with SEED. on the boards, everyone loves it. When I talk to random anime fans in real life, they hate it. That makes no sense. Anime hyper )

Huh. I tend to encounter a lot of people both on and offline that like it at least to some degree...usually it's just the hardcore Gundam fanboys ("ZETA! RRRRRGH! LOVE TURN-A OR DIE! RRRRRRGH!!!") and people that dislike anything new that hate it. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

But getting back on topic, I missed the bit on Conan O'Brien, but I think it's a good thing. Conan rags on everyone & everything regardless of personal preference, so I don't see it so much as him picking on anime as it is a sign that anime's really close to (if not in the first stages of) true mass market awareness & success.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:10 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
BTW, Manga shouldn't be on the list yet, because R.O.D. and GitS: SAC isn't on TV yet!!

Of course it can, because it's already been confirmed that they will air, it's not like we're pulling series out of thin air and saying they will air on AS.

AuraShadow wrote:

It may be popular there, but from what I've seen from boards and talked to other anime fans about, it's not. (Same with SEED. on the boards, everyone loves it. When I talk to random anime fans in real life, they hate it. That makes no sense. Anime hyper)

Well, truth be told, not all anime fans write on boards, and not every "random" fan will like a series. The only true test of how popular an anime show is (at least in the US) is DVD sales. I personally have not even seen 1 full ep of Conan, so I have no opinion of it.

It's similar with trying to get fan input on what shows to air. While it sounds like a good idea, here is a scenario of what it would/could be like. AS posts a list of possible shows on their site, viewers are invited to vote for their favorite show. The show with the most votes airs. First off, AS would already have to secure broadcast rights to be able to offer a list of new shows to air, so they would lose money in every case, if they only air one show out of however many they have. The other option would be "what show would you like us to try and get broadcast rights to", but that wouldn't work so well either. But, for the sake of argument, let's say AS goes with option 1 (obtaining rights to several shows). Not all fans will vote. Let's say, again for the sake of argument, that 300,000 viewers become aware of the online vote. Say 10% (30,000) actually go online and vote. We'll make it 2 shows just to make it easy. Show 1 gets 9,000 votes, and show 2 gets 21,000. That means that 7% of viewers that knew of the vote have decided what all whatever number of viewers you wish to insert here will watch. Say that of the remaining 270,000 that didn't vote, there is a 60/40 split between show 1 and show 2. That means show 1 would have 171,000 total votes, while show 2 would have 129,000. So in this case, counting only those that knew an online vote existed, the most wanted show would not be aired. Some of those who voted for show 1 may go ahead and watch show 2, but many will not. This could/would effectively decrease ratings.

A long, involved example I know... gomen.
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:12 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I would like to say I respect the opinions held by AuraShadow. In my opinion, though, I think it is good for the long series to play on Adult Swim/Toonami. I don't have much money, and it is impossible for me to buy a whole 400 episode series.
Oh yeah, and I like Case Closed. It and Lupin the Third are the only episodic series I considered brilliant, or even good at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6