• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[done] Purge: Hiroshi Shin (#82676), Hong Chen (#53822)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
Continued from Shiroi Hane's observation:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
More than one person has the name 沈宏: Hong Chen, Hiroshi Shin

Both animators. I assume one is reading it as a Chinese name and the other Japanese. I've found him on sakuga@wiki under a mixture of the two, Hong Shin (しん ほん).

I noticed that FUNimation's credits on Heaven's Lost Property use "Shen Hong" for his animation director credits (adjusted with family name last it's Hong Shen which does exist in the Encyclopedia already). WWWJDIC also gives "Shen" as a potential Pinyin reading for the character:
Quote:
chen2 shen3
With this, it does appear what sakuga@wiki lists is still the full Chinese name reading, but with Shen instead of Chen as the family name.

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
WWWJDIC also gives "Shen" as a potential Pinyin reading for the character:
Quote:
chen2 shen3
With this, it does appear what sakuga@wiki lists is still the full Chinese name reading, but with Shen instead of Chen as the family name.

Shen3 is correct for character 沈 (family name only); chen2 is an infamous confusion of 沉 (vi; "to sink") with 沈. There are so many people confused the two, to the level that dictionaries are forced to included chen2 as an alternative pronunciation of 沈.

I've moved all credits from #53822 and #82676 to #99006.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Shen3 is correct for character 沈 (family name only); chen2 is an infamous confusion of 沉 (vi; "to sink") with 沈. There are so many people confused the two, to the level that dictionaries are forced to included chen2 as an alternative pronunciation of 沈.

I've moved all credits from #53822 and #82676 to #99006.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. There's no doubt on this person's family name, then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1