• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - So Long, Suckers!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I dont post often but I liked your articles. Made me laugh. Laughing That insulting letter you got was funny as well. Also liked the no.

spoiler[Always had a bit of a e-crush on you. AHHH! *blush* ] Laughing
Visulth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I think it's settled. Brian must now be always called "Brain" and this topic must be deleted so that he will never know why. EVER.

And even if Brain is not as aggressive or "snarky" as Zac, I'm betting that won't last long--not in this job Razz.

Well, good luck Zac. I had loads of fun reading your articles over the years.
Sentire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I’ll miss you.Crying or Very sad Brian (or should I say Brain?) is a good choice for a replacement though… I will still check out the column regularly. I’ll definitely keep my eyes peeled for your new column, Zac. Hopefully the change will inspire and energize you. Please tell me you will include in the new column the adorable bunny and kitten pics?... How will I get my fuzzy-warm-feeling fix? I’m selfish… what can I say.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac, thanks for putting up with us and our silly questions and comments for all these years, and good luck with the new column.

I loved The Click and Brian's acerbic sense of humor, so I can't wait to read his version of Answerman. :)
Meccanica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
All I keep thinking is:

What? Zac does something other than write Answerman! columns? Shocked

I'll miss reading your version of the column Zac, but I'm excited to see what Brian does with it. I always loved The Click, and that was really just a glorified TV listing.

I'm hoping he'll keep Mugen's face in the banner- just as many now associate Zac with Howl, I imagine Brian as a sort of annoyed Mugen.
JC90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
lol Oh man, and I came so close to writing into "Hey Answerfan!" with Miaka as the most annoying character ever. Glad I wrote about someone entirely different instead Wink . Anyway, kudos to you, The No-Longer-Answerman! The column was a lot of laughs, and you will be sorely missed. Farewell!
mamori

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Darn you, I actually had to finally make an account just to reply Anime hyper. Only been reading for about the last year, but thoroughly enjoyed it most weeks ^^. Thanks for all the hard work you've done on answerman, and looking forward to your future works and the new answerman.

That being said, I've also become curious about your perception that anime fans have begun to lean right (conservative/libertarian). As others have posted, myself and those who I know personally who are fans are much more liberal/right-leaning moderates. Then again, I'm a Southern California college student, so that shouldn't be terribly surprising.

However, I could see how the perception of such a shift would be derived when one of the most political topics that anime fans are likely to talk about about licensing issues, and as has been noted, many fans take the "anime should be/is better if free stance," which is a very libertarian standpoint. "Down with government regulations!" (silly libertarians :p). Though being the poor college student I am, the vast majority of my anime collection comes via fansubs, but I still make a point of buying a series if it has made a special impression on me, and is actually available in R1 (still waiting for Spice and Wolf, and Sayonara Zestubo Sensei Anime hyper... maybe Shigofumi, depending on paycheck).

In addition to this, I believe I read on the "Chicks on Anime" column, they noted how that of the ever growing percentage of female fans, many of those were coming from the mid/southern states on the US, which are largely conservative. So in a way you could also look at it as as the % of female fans goes up, the % of right-wing fans goes up. Just something to think about. ^^
ankoku22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
Your brand of brutal honesty was certainly refreshing, Zac. So were the rabbit pictures. There aren't too many columns out there where I can find a heated discussion about the morality/legality of fansubs followed up by a bunny curled up into a ball of pure cuteness. That's variety right there. Your work was as entertaining as it was informative and it will be missed.

As a fan of The Click, I'm looking forward to Brian's debut. It'll be interesting to see how he handles Answerman next time. ^^
underbase

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
Sentire wrote:
I’ll definitely keep my eyes peeled for your new column, Zac. Hopefully the change will inspire and energize you. Please tell me you will include in the new column the adorable bunny and kitten pics?... How will I get my fuzzy-warm-feeling fix? I’m selfish… what can I say.

I know!! His new column will be devoted entirely to pictures of bunnies and kittens dressed in cosplay! With funny captions.

And so LOLCosCats was born!
braves

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
I keep wondering, for how long are people going to write Brian's name as "Brain"? Neutral Meh, if he writes as Answerman for a few years, eventually people will get it. Razz

Thanks for the work you did all these years, Zac.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
Haha, the giant NO ruled. Whoever that letter was from, I'm sorry, but you got owned Anime hyper
matrixdude124

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Heh. I can't believe he's really leaving. What a damn shame. I always got a good laugh out of his column.

The Fushigi Yuugi bit was quite hilarious, btw. Anime hyper
cenorig

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
So it's over, huh? Well, not really but it's going to change. Hope the next guy (never read the Click, sorry) is going to be as good as you were, Answerman.

As a fan of your column and a weekly reader: Thanks for the good (and more than occasionally educational) time!
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
A massive raging ego is getting one less stroke a week? Well, it's a start.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
A massive raging ego is getting one less stroke a week? Well, it's a start.

This coming from the guy who started a poll thread in the community forums asking people if they thought you were the liberal version of Bill O'Reilly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12