News The Piano Forest Anime Gets 2nd Season in January
posted on 2018-07-01 23:30 EDT by Rafael Antonio Pineda
The official website for the television anime of Makoto Isshiki's Piano no Mori (The Piano Forest) manga revealed on Monday that the anime will get a second season in January 2019. The site also revealed a new visual for the anime.
The anime premiered on NHK on April 8 at 12:10 a.m. (effectively April 9 morning). The first season's 12th and final episode aired on Monday. Netflix is exclusively streaming the anime. Netflix debuted new episodes inside Japan immediately after they aired on NHK. Netflix plans to release all the episodes at once in more than 190 countries outside of Japan "around this fall."
The anime stars:
- Sōma Saitō as Kai Ichinose
- Ryoko Shiraishi as Kai Ichinose (child)
- Natsuki Hanae as Shūhei Amamiya
- Yō Taichi as Shūhei Amaiya (child)
- Junichi Suwabe as Sōsuke Ajino
- Yūichi Nakamura as Pang Wei
- Toshiyuki Toyonaga as Kōsei Hirata
- Maaya Sakamoto as Reiko Ichinose
- KENN as Lech Szymanowski
- Aoi Yūki as Takako Maruyama
- Mariya Ise as Sophie Ormesson
- Katsuyuki Konishi as Karol Adamski
- Koji Yusa as Takeshi Saga
- Hiroshi Yanaka as Kōtarō Shiba
- Marie Miyake as Namie Amamiya
- Ryou Hirohashi as Arisa
- Motoko Kumai as Daigaku Kanehira
- Hideyuki Tanaka as Yōichirō Amamiya
- Bin Shimada as Jean-Jacques Theroux
The manga follows two boys from different walks of life. Kai was born the son of a prostitute and learned to play an abandoned piano in the forest by his home. Shūhei is child of two prestigious pianists. The two boys end up meeting through their one common thread: music.
Gaku Nakatani (Madagascar 3 CG supervisor) directed the first season at Fukushima Gainax. Aki Itami (Flowers of Evil, Mushi-Shi, Rainbow Days) and Mika Abe (Danchi Tomoo) were in charge of series composition. Sumie Kinoshita (Girlish Number, A Sister's All You Need) designed the characters, and is also credited as chief animation director.
Sōma Saitō performed the opening theme song "Umi e" (To the Sea) as his character Kai Ichinose. Aoi Yūki (Saga of Tanya the Evil, Hakumei and Mikochi) performed the ending theme song "Kaeru Basho ga Aru to Iu Koto" (To Have a Place to Come Home to).
The pianists, and the characters they performed pieces for, include Kyohei Sorita (Sōsuke Ajino), Takagi Ryoma (Shūhei Amamiya), Niu Niu (Wei Pang), Szymon Nehring (Lech Szymanowski), and Juliette Journaux (Sophie Ormesson). The anime also featured performances by junior pianists Kotone Uehara, Modan Oyama, Kamuro Sahara, and Ayano Baba to portray the performances of the show's main characters Kai, Shūhei, or Takako in their childhood years. Nippon Columbia hosted an audition for the junior pianists.
Source: The Piano Forest anime's official website