• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime with Disaster Scenes Face Changes After Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
The Goron Marshall wrote:
Good lord, at this rate, I'm willing to say that nearly everyone here, regardless of which side, is overreacting.

Where did it say that these edits are going to be permanent? That is what everyone here is assuming. If anything, they're probably just going to be temporary and things will return once everything settles down there.

Of course that cannot be said for certain things still being produced and having such scenes changed during production, but is it going to affect everything like you all assume it will? I don't think so.

I don't see why people are getting so up-tight about this, especially because we don't live in Japan and therefore have no say in what they show, leading to never-ending debates between both sides.

I think they're defeding the creators more than anything. I agree holding it off for a while is a good idea probalby, but to remove everything with disaster-like scenarios would probably eliminate a third of anime. There's a reason to express some concern to not go overboard.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
but to remove everything with disaster-like scenarios would probably eliminate a third of anime. There's a reason to express some concern to not go overboard.

That was what I was directing to. I honestly doubt they'll remove everything for a long period of time. It'll be temporary, as it has always been.

And last time I checked, not all anime and manga is about earthquakes, tidal waves and nuclear disasters, among other things. There are a few yes, but you make it seem like nearly all of them do.

Everyone is blowing this out of proportion.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
but to remove everything with disaster-like scenarios would probably eliminate a third of anime. There's a reason to express some concern to not go overboard.

That was what I was directing to. I honestly doubt they'll remove everything for a long period of time. It'll be temporary, as it has always been.

And last time I checked, not all anime and manga is about earthquakes, tidal waves and nuclear disasters, among other things. There are a few yes, but you make it seem like nearly all of them do.

Everyone is blowing this out of proportion.

Pretty much all anime in the scifi or action genres have that kind of stuff with buildings being blown up, cities destroyed, etc. Obviously not moe and harem anime, but still, it's not accurate to pretend like this wouldn't effect many top tier titles.

And if the whole "healthy youths bill" has taught us anything, it's not to trust the people in charge to be for the freedom of expression. People have good reasons to be concerned.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Obviously not moe and harem anime

*Sigh*

And not everything is moe or harem either.

Also, yes I do expect anime and manga to have a lot of destruction, millions have them, and I know that as a fact. But some things are more specific than others. Take an anime where a guy walks into a building and goes on a shoot-out massacre, or an anime where a little robot boy shoots a gigantic laser beam to destroy a space ship, those would still be considered 'acceptable' after these circumstances. But take an anime that has heavy scenes of massive earthquakes, gigantic tidal waves or nuclear wars, those would not be, because those are very specific. Those cannot be shown so soon after the horrible disasters there, and can be saved for later.

You seem to think that every. single. anime/manga. with destruction will be banned, cut or ceased in production because of what happened in Japan. No, that's a dumb assumption.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Obviously not moe and harem anime

*Sigh*

And not everything is moe or harem either.

Also, yes I do expect anime and manga to have a lot of destruction, millions have them, and I know that as a fact. But some things are more specific than others. Take an anime where a guy walks into a building and goes on a shoot-out massacre, or an anime where a little robot boy shoots a gigantic laser beam to destroy a space ship, those would still be considered 'acceptable' after these circumstances. But take an anime that has heavy scenes of massive earthquakes, gigantic tidal waves or nuclear wars, those would not be, because those are very specific. Those cannot be shown so soon after the horrible disasters there, and can be saved for later.

You seem to think that every. single. anime/manga. with destruction will be banned, cut or ceased in production because of what happened in Japan. No, that's a dumb assumption.

Yes, obviously mecha anime that only take place in the void of space don't have cities getting devestated. Thanks for pointing that out for all of us.

The other day we had a candidate for the Governor of Tokyo saying banning violence in videogames was part of his platform. You can go ahead and call people the being concerned dumb, but I'll counter that with saying you are naive especially with the current political climate of Japan.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Yes, obviously mecha anime that only take place in the void of space don't have cities getting devestated. Thanks for pointing that out for a all of us.

When did I say that? Rather, I know for certain that there are mecha works that DO have cities being devastated. Gundam Seed comes to mind. But you also have to keep in mind that those cities were being devastated by advanced technology, NOT earthquakes and tsunamis. There is a difference, something you failed to notice.

I am getting real sick of your attitude. What the heck is your problem? All you have been doing is unneeded trolling.

And naive? For stating that people still have a right to criticize? There is no pleasing you.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Yes, obviously mecha anime that only take place in the void of space don't have cities getting devestated. Thanks for pointing that out for a all of us.

When did I say that? Rather, I know for certain that there are mecha works that DO have cities being devastated. Gundam Seed comes to mind. But you also have to keep in mind that those cities were being devastated by advanced technology, NOT earthquakes and tsunamis. There is a difference, something you failed to notice.

I am getting real sick of your attitude. What the heck is your problem? All you have been doing is unneeded trolling.

And naive? For stating that people still have a right to criticize? There is no pleasing you.

In the US, Gundam 79' was canceled because of 9/11. That was the official explanation given by Cartoon Network. What does Gundam have to do with jihadist terrorism really? People who run media can over board very easily.

And you're only resorting to calling me a troll, becuase you're argument is extremely weak. If you don't like being forced to debate things when your comments are challegned on the internet, maybe message boards aren't for you.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I called you a troll because your approach seems to be the attacking one. And I'm not the only one that you had responded to as such. I'd much rather debate in a calm manner, something which obviously cannot be done here.

What I have been trying to do was be on neither side, although I admit that I did lean a bit more on being for the censorships. I won't lie about that. I have tried to take this, and the other thread, in a calm manner, which escalated.

I didn't wanted to debate anyway. And frankly, whether my argument was weak or not, I no longer care. I'm done here. Continuing this any further would just be a waste of time for the both of us. You could have also pointed out my faults, rather than solely calling it weak, gave it constructive criticism. But it's too late for that.

Make of me what you will, I'm done.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
to be expected i guess, similar things happened with tv shows after 9-11.

True. Man, I can barely remember that... but I'm glad they chose to do that, and so I'm glad Japan is doing the same with their tragedy.

I don't agree because Nickelodeon used 9/11 as an excuse to cancel Invader Zim. It was a cartoon "too violent and mature", featuring an alien who liked to blow crap up while in various disguises. This was considered too similar to 9/11 somehow.

I remember being a rather annoyed Sailor Moon fan too after Sailor Moon's Kid's WB broadcast was canceled because of 9/11 as well - Sailor Moon was obviously waaaay to violent for the times apparently. Sailor Moon was to air the week the terrorist attacks happened.

Point here is sometimes people can take liberties with what they chose to censor for the sake of social decency, but I'm not too worried about the Japanese doing this because the Japanese are not a bunch of over-reacting Westerners of particular faiths who try to shove their morals down other peoples' throats. If anything I'm more worried about what that wacko Governor of Tokyo has planned for anime and manga in the future.

And Katrina wasn't a natural disaster - it was a complete human one. And hurricane references didn't disappear after it happened because that'd just be stupid, and hurricanes are a part of life in the south. Florida goes out of its way to educate the masses in what to do and how to act during a hurricane, and after. In things to do with entertainment though - hurricanes don't usually cause massive death/disaster, so they aren't really used in entertainment that requires it, unlike like earthquakes and tsunami (again, Katrina was a man-made disaster), so comparing Katrina to what's going on in Japan is senseless. If anything, tornados make more sense to me.

The fact that this is a natural disaster makes me all the more sure the Japanese will get past this phobia of seeing in it entertainment a heck of a lot faster than people did with various violent scenes after 9/11. It's been a way of life for them for hundreds, if not thousands of years. It's something you can't control, and it will happen again - if you completely block it out of memory and ignore everything to do with it from then on you're risking yourself for when it happens again, because it will happen again. In a way it's because of this mindset Floridians can now laugh and get drunk and party during a hurricane when a couple hundred years back people WOULD be dying in something close to masses. There's a small chance we may die during one (a tree an fall on your house, or if you're very unlucky - tornado), but why worry constantly about something you can't control and you've already prepared for as much as you can prepare. Enjoy life while you can. Don't live in constant fear.

In seeing various interviews with officials from Japan stating that this was not THE next Great Tokai Earthquake (a predicted disaster that'll happen in an area south of Tokyo, in a force larger than the one that happened this past week), and that they're considering this a practice run for an even bigger disaster. Japan seems to me to be a country of realists, and I like that.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Ok, that scene from Oniichan no koto is REALLY bad timing. I'm surprised they even broadcast it in the first place, with the real tsunami warning showing on TV already Shocked
Seca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
Wow, there's a lot of lack of common sense and decency in this thread.

These measures are in no way trying to erase or hide the fact the disaster happened, I mean I'm pretty sure the news programs are doing nothing but reporting about it and everyone in Japan is talking about it 24/7. We may be able to turn our attention away from it when we please but I don't think many people in Japan can do the same. If anything these are just measures to give people who don't want to be reminded of the disaster for a small portion of their day something to enjoy.

Everyone deals with such events in their own way and while there might be some that may be fine watching such scenes in a program/movie but there are others that may never be able to see the same things without it upsetting them for the rest of their lives. And seeing how they're still in dealing with the aftermath of the disaster with worry that there could still be more that could make matter even worse it's already stressful enough, especially for those in the region or those with friends and loved ones in the region. People need a way to escape what for those in Japan is probably a constant reminder of the events until they can deal with it all in their own time and their own way.

And for those who think it shouldn't effect people to watch something with images of similar disasters are I wonder what world you live in that doesn't have things like Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
This is wrong.

I can understand people being traumatized by the incident, and rightly so, but this action still falls victim to sensationalist censorship.

No matter how bad an incident, I'm a firm believer in not caving in to people's emotions. If you have a story to tell, tell it unrestrained.

Agreed and I'd say you'd hit the nail on the head John Casey.

Yes it's a very terrible event and yes it's very sad to see what the after effects are, but you can't erase what has already occurred. Those who live will have one heck of a story to share with generations to come. If anything, talking about this and witnessing this event will only encourage more and more people to give it their best and realize even when Japan is at a major crisis, survival and hope is possible.

If you have a story to tell and survived, tell the story uncensored and without limitation. It is better to face facts and reality than to simply chose not come to terms with it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

True. Man, I can barely remember that... but I'm glad they chose to do that, and so I'm glad Japan is doing the same with their tragedy.

I don't agree because Nickelodeon used 9/11 as an excuse to cancel Invader Zim. It was a cartoon "too violent and mature", featuring an alien who liked to blow crap up while in various disguises. This was considered too similar to 9/11 somehow.

It's not that simple. They may have used it as an excuse, but Nick and Invader Zim creator Jhonen Vasquez had been at odds long before that.

This is how they found out they were cancelled on Jan 17th 2002:

alt.gothic wrote:

This is off Rikki (voice of GIR) & Tavi Simmons tavicat.com website

The link for the page
http://www.tavicat.com/updates.html

Text from the page
Updates

01/20/2002
What has happened to Invader Zim?

On Thursday 1-17-02, at around 5:20 PM, only a few hours after we finished
recording the Christmas episode, all of the Zim crew was called into the
lounge area for an emergency announcement.
There, Jhonen and Mary Harrington broke the news that Nickelodeon was
reducing its order for 20 second season Zim episodes down to 6, bringing the
series at an end at episode 26, and making us, as a crew, finished as well.
The next day all of the story board artists and writers were asked to clean
out their offices and be gone by 5 PM.
As a colorist my last day will be March 1, but as a voice actor, I doubt
I'll ever get a chance to voice GIR again.
This makes me terribly sad. I wasn't ready to stop being that insane little
robot.
I don't think any of the crew wanted to stop working on the show... at least
not like this.
We thought we had another year of work in the least, and many were
unprepared as a result.
This doesn't feel real just yet. I keep thinking that I accidentally walked
into another dimension while I wasn't paying attention; I keep expecting to
look over my should to see the dimension where everything is as it should be
rapidly moving away.
I don't know what to feel other than shock and sadness.
I know all we did was make a silly cartoon show, but all of us were very
emotionally attached to these characters and situations, and we were so very
eager to make the public laugh.
Tavisha will be assisting us with a handful of backgrounds as we reach the
end.
After that, I don't know what's next. I'll post here as soon as I know.
There are still 16 episodes of Zim that the public hasn't seen.
I believe Nickelodeon will start showing them in March 2002.
Please watch and we hope you will all enjoy. Thank you.

And this from Jhonen V himself:

rec.arts.animation wrote:

I wouldn't say "creatively spent" so much as sick to death of not
being able to bludgeon a child with a hammer on screen. It's sort of
a sick thing to say but when I got the call telling me the show was
cancelled, I was probably the happiest person on the planet, and
immediately went to an amusement park with some friends. Gave me time
to actually watch cartoons again. ZIM was my baby, but man was it a
relief to see that baby get a bullet in the head. What parent can't
relate?! Anyone? Anyone?

I love animation, but children's animation is just definitely not on
my list of things to try again. I dig plenty of so called "kids'
shows" (Tartovsky's included) out there, but I have no interest in
making another one by this point, which doesn't mean I would stay
away from animation altogether. It has, however, made me feel in no
hurry to get back into it. Since ZIM ended, I've been contacted by a
few other studios and networks, but it's usually a younger crowd
they're trying to reach so I say thanks but no thanks. Kids get
enough attention as it is. I have to admit, when people would tell me
their kids would actually cover their eyes or run screaming from some
scene in INVADER ZIM, I was so fuckin' proud. That's not the kind of
guy you want creating a show sandwiched between Rocket Powered and
Fairly Oddparents.

Tartovsky's a pretty serious animation guy from the world of
animation. Me? I made an animated show and almost killed myself
doing it, but it's not really where I'm from. I had the chance, and
went for it. I'd nearly kill myself again, but I would have to be way
more careful about where and how I do it.

Jhonen V

So Jhonen was not really unhappy that Zim ended.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

It's not that simple. They may have used it as an excuse, but Nick and Invader Zim creator Jhonen Vasquez had been at odds long before that.

This is how they found out they were cancelled on Jan 17th 2002:

alt.gothic wrote:

This is off Rikki (voice of GIR) & Tavi Simmons tavicat.com website

The link for the page
http://www.tavicat.com/updates.html

Text from the page
Updates

01/20/2002
What has happened to Invader Zim?

On Thursday 1-17-02, at around 5:20 PM, only a few hours after we finished
recording the Christmas episode, all of the Zim crew was called into the
lounge area for an emergency announcement.
There, Jhonen and Mary Harrington broke the news that Nickelodeon was
reducing its order for 20 second season Zim episodes down to 6, bringing the
series at an end at episode 26, and making us, as a crew, finished as well.
The next day all of the story board artists and writers were asked to clean
out their offices and be gone by 5 PM.
As a colorist my last day will be March 1, but as a voice actor, I doubt
I'll ever get a chance to voice GIR again.
This makes me terribly sad. I wasn't ready to stop being that insane little
robot.
I don't think any of the crew wanted to stop working on the show... at least
not like this.
We thought we had another year of work in the least, and many were
unprepared as a result.
This doesn't feel real just yet. I keep thinking that I accidentally walked
into another dimension while I wasn't paying attention; I keep expecting to
look over my should to see the dimension where everything is as it should be
rapidly moving away.
I don't know what to feel other than shock and sadness.
I know all we did was make a silly cartoon show, but all of us were very
emotionally attached to these characters and situations, and we were so very
eager to make the public laugh.
Tavisha will be assisting us with a handful of backgrounds as we reach the
end.
After that, I don't know what's next. I'll post here as soon as I know.
There are still 16 episodes of Zim that the public hasn't seen.
I believe Nickelodeon will start showing them in March 2002.
Please watch and we hope you will all enjoy. Thank you.

And this from Jhonen V himself:

rec.arts.animation wrote:

I wouldn't say "creatively spent" so much as sick to death of not
being able to bludgeon a child with a hammer on screen. It's sort of
a sick thing to say but when I got the call telling me the show was
cancelled, I was probably the happiest person on the planet, and
immediately went to an amusement park with some friends. Gave me time
to actually watch cartoons again. ZIM was my baby, but man was it a
relief to see that baby get a bullet in the head. What parent can't
relate?! Anyone? Anyone?

I love animation, but children's animation is just definitely not on
my list of things to try again. I dig plenty of so called "kids'
shows" (Tartovsky's included) out there, but I have no interest in
making another one by this point, which doesn't mean I would stay
away from animation altogether. It has, however, made me feel in no
hurry to get back into it. Since ZIM ended, I've been contacted by a
few other studios and networks, but it's usually a younger crowd
they're trying to reach so I say thanks but no thanks. Kids get
enough attention as it is. I have to admit, when people would tell me
their kids would actually cover their eyes or run screaming from some
scene in INVADER ZIM, I was so fuckin' proud. That's not the kind of
guy you want creating a show sandwiched between Rocket Powered and
Fairly Oddparents.

Tartovsky's a pretty serious animation guy from the world of
animation. Me? I made an animated show and almost killed myself
doing it, but it's not really where I'm from. I had the chance, and
went for it. I'd nearly kill myself again, but I would have to be way
more careful about where and how I do it.

Jhonen V

So Jhonen was not really unhappy that Zim ended.

All of that is irrelavent. They still said they canceled it becuase of 9/11. The point still stands.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
And to call being against censorship a "vague internet ideal" is down right scary.

Which of course I didn't do. What I said is that the absurd knee jerk freak-out, devoid of any real thought, understanding, or common sense, which you see in this thread and really, all the time any time the word censorship is mentioned, is a product of vague internet idealism. Are there very good reasons why one should be against censorship? Of course. However, such a view should be grounded in common sense and actual concrete reasoning where as the bulk of the anti-censorship movement you see online is merely a product of a lot of vague internet idealism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6