• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Artist on ABC's Extreme Makeover

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Its tough to say about him being accepted. I'm not a big fan of hip hop anymore, but I used to be into it, because practically everybody who went to my schools were fans. I was one of few white kids in most of my classes (hight school was a bit more diverse), but I was never picked on because of that or because I did listen to rap music. In fact, the kid that everybody did pick on was white and didn't like rap (in addition to dressing rather conservative). I remember him getting kicked around alot. Gatsu makes a good point with the Eminem thing. So I think the race lines are really not that much of an issue anymore (at least it won't be until another Vanilla Ice).
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I see your point.
Erufu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:19 pm Reply with quote
He had a Love Hina wedding? That's so cool! (Because it wasn't my wedding!) Obviously, his wife went for it or it wouldn't have happened. Any links to the pics?
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
He had a Love Hina wedding? That's so cool! (Because it wasn't my wedding!) Obviously, his wife went for it or it wouldn't have happened.

Hard telling if she enjoyed it or not, what with that Naru mask on and all. Wink (yes, I'm kidding...)

Couldn't find any pics though, the site that was hosting them seems to have removed them and it looks like no one saved them.

Oh, and Miyazaki is coming by my apartment in the morning to help me hang wall paper. Laughing

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Animefans: Eminem has a wide appeal, and he's white.

His appeal among hardcore hip hop fans is much, much, much less than his appeal to the top 40 crowd.
Kyo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Is this episode correct on date?
According to the official website, the desc. of the upcoming episode is:

Sunday, October 17, 8/7c
"Grinnan Family"
After their infant daughter received a heart transplant to save her from the same condition that their son died of as a newborn, Cathy and Bill Grinnan made a promise that they would do whatever they could to educate others about heart disease. Despite their personal tragedies, the Grinnan family became crusaders for heart disease research and treatment. Now it's time for someone to give back to them.

Country music recording artist Lee Ann Womack was one of many people who wanted to give something back to the Grinnans. When she heard that the family is big on country music, she surprised them at the "reveal" and presented them with some unique gifts.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Oh, and Miyazaki is coming by my apartment in the morning to help me hang wall paper. Laughing

Emerje

Satoshi Kon is stopping by this weekend to give me some tips on making my room look more "creeped-out." Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:55 pm Reply with quote
So, as I suspected, Inoue showed up for only a minute or two, said hi, and re-decorated the boy's room with a Tokyo Tribes motif. (The actual wallroom art looked like the authentic style used by taggers who go straight.) Tokyopop also put in one of their manga kiosks in the room. Before that, the room had some anime posters and wallscrolls. Inoue's English wasn't bad, but it surprised me that he was dressed more like a skater/surfer than an urban outfitter. Anyway, the show was boring.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Guess I didn't miss anything then, totally forgot about this.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:54 am Reply with quote
I guess that kind of makes sense, as I heard Tokyo Tribes was originally in a Skater Magazine. In any case, I'm sure Tokyopop loves the press on network tv.
Erufu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... now I wish I had sat through the show. I read the synopsis and it didn't say anything about him coming on, and I couldn't imagine that anybody that had anything to do with Japanese culture would be helping out with a family that loved country. Oh, well. Probably didn't miss that much.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Well they were re-modeling a house in San Diego. So I'm assuming that they got Inoue to cameo when he was at Comic Con.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:47 am Reply with quote
If you missed it, http://www.tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?propertycode=TYT&categorycode=BMG&page=article was kind enough to post a report and photos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2