• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
As for examples of bad:
-Sailor Moon (4Kids)

Not a 4Kids dub but by both DiC & CWi.

Quote:
-Card Captor Sakura (4Kids)

Also not a 4Kids dub but by Nelvana (and in the case of the US dub, Kids WB)
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I suppose NIS screwed up the title, but it is not a big deal. The set looks great. I will have to think how to store the set in my shelf (it is bigger than regular DVD box) when it arrives to my house.

I've started a NISA shelf (but with how many series they are licensing I want, I might run out of space pretty quickly)
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Preordering. Great price for all that you get, NIS releases are fantastic (really, more anime companies need as deluxe releases as these guys), and I have heard great things about the series. How could I not?

And really, can there be a rule about complaining about there being only japanese audio NIS releases? It gets tiring to hear how some people only like dubs and hate everything else on every single title they license.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm really disappointed. Isn't anybody going to barge in here in a huff and bitch about the fact that AnoHana has an English translated title (The Flower We Saw That Day)???

There'd be no reason to. The Japanese abbreviated "anohana" is displayed in much bigger text on the box, and that's the one that most fans of the series use.

http://nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=ap&aid=anohana
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I'm really disappointed. Isn't anybody going to barge in here in a huff and bitch about the fact that AnoHana has an English translated title (The Flower We Saw That Day)???

There'd be no reason to. The Japanese abbreviated "anohana" is displayed in much bigger text on the box, and that's the one that most fans of the series use.

Thanks for the heads up I owe ya one
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

What??? Megiddo, you of all people - the guy who insists on calling My Bride is a Mermaid, Seto no Hanayome, YOU don't refer to AnoHana as Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai???

I am, like, so disillusioned right now.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Wait, why am I reading this thread when I should be ordering? Insta-buy.
bllanosr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Glad NISA picked this title up. It sounded interesting and I wanted to see it. I'm surprised this will be coming out before Natsume Yuujincho. I've been waiting for that one.

$70 price
I highly doubt it's even going to have an MSRP of $70. The official NIS America website lists their current titles at the highest price of $55.99. I don't see that much of a spike for this new title. Their two current pre-orders are even listed at:
$51.99 - Occult Academy (pre-order)
$55.99 - Kimi ni Todoke 2 (pre-order)

Their latest release is listed at:
$47.99 - House of Five Leaves

If you're a patient and smart buyer you might be able to get it 10-20% off (or more).

Also they might even have a standard edition later on which normally sell around $31.99 to $35.99.

http://store.nisamerica.com/Anime
LordByron227

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I guess I missed all the original hype of the series? I must have been living in a bubble eh.

Anyways, sounds interesting enough. A dub isn't required for me to buy a series (why else would I have considered/lamented about Fate/Zero being outside of my budget). Its all about value added when compared to the "free product"(cough cough). Although for fitting series and all, I would definitely put dubs on a higher value scale than an artbook and a special box.

An good example for me would be Spice and Wolf, I didn't mind a relatively barebones LE because of the great Eng. Dub. However, I doubt I would have enjoyed it (as much) owning/watching it in JPN only with only a better box and an artbook to console me.

Also, could some one link me to a review of the series? I'm too lazy lol.

Last edited by LordByron227 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
NISA will be out of business by year's end.

That's rather harsh. I doubt it will ever come to it since NISA doesn't need anime to be honest, their video games are their main moneymaker. NISA is doing a great service to all by licensing and releasing shows that essentially, nobody else wants or felt that they would be worth much of anything. They are releasing beautiful packages that are well worth the price I pay for. There has been plenty of time and oppurtunity for Funimation, Sentai Filmworks and everyone else that is left to grab shows that NISA has licensed. Did they? Nope. They have probably been hitting themselves over it too.

I, for one, am grateful that I can own Toradora, Katanagatari, Arakawa Under The Bridge (and Bridge x Bridge) and plan to eventually own Kimi ni Todoke, Natsume's Book of Friends, Daily Lives of High School Boys and Anohana (which I have pre-ordered). I'm glad someone is releasing these shows and in a rather timely and acceptable manner. The releases are unmistakbly gorgeous on my shelf and one of my pride and joys. I wouldn't care to wait a year or two like I typically do for Funimation titles.

They've had their ups and downs, but what company hasn't? They've managed to fix those issues in a timely and acceptable manner as well. I've been really impressed with blu-rays, some of the best blu's I own. I no longer feel concerned or hesitant about buying NISA anime products since I know they'll resolve any issues quickly. They have also begun to take the initiative to notify us of issues with releases, whether it be locked subtitles or something else via rights issues.

To put it simply, losing NIS America is not an option. We've already effectively lost Bandai Entertainment and on the verge of losing Media Blasters. We cant afford another blow to the U.S. industry. If that were the case, enjoy barebone DVD and BD releases from Sentai Filmworks, re-releases galore with an occasional new title or two a month from Funimation, the occasion import $400 box set from Aniplex, whatever Viz releases, old stuff and nothing current from Discotek and the occasional release from Nozomi here and there. Funimation and Sentai Filmworks can't do it all alone, so we need these small companies in spades. I'm sorry but the prospect of a market existing with very little in the way of new things terrify me.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
Never really expected this to get a dub when picked up, but I also thought FUNimation (who'd done it anyway) or Aniplex USA would have licensed it. Maybe the initial asking price was too high and NISA got it on discount, but I thought AnoHana would have been picked up much sooner. I guess it being both a niche title (by R1 standards) and hot R2 seller caused some consternation in the former's region.

I found AnoHana to be more problematic than good, but I'm happy for the people that have waited out here for so long (and will get one of NISA's legendary books to go along with it). That said, the R1 title is too awkward a mix between its abbreviated Japanese form and full English translation (shortened in a way that saps some the punch out of its name). Why not just "AnoHana" and its full translation as a sub-title below it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Fifth B wrote:
Holla-holla. I'm not sure why, but I thought that NIS would be the one to license this show. I've been wanting to check it out for some time, and I'm o glad that I can own it. July can't come soon enough!

Glad to see some positive reactions to this news. While I would've liked a dub as many would have, I'm still psyched that NIS will be releasing this weird, sweet series.

For the record, folks: Stop b***ing that the price is too high, it's not the company you'd prefer, or that it lacks a dub. How 'bout we be happy it's being released here at all?

I've seen some great things come out of NIS America, and this looks to be no exception. Sure, I'll wait for its cost to drop a little, but for what they're offering I think it's a solid package.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12