• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Hmmm....the first three anime available seems kinda..."colourless" Confused

This is the same season with QB Rebellion and Fate/Zero right?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Yes.

Also, the 40th anniversary project of Lupin III, what seems to be a reboot of Space Battleship Yamato, and the reunion of Shinichiro Watanabe and Youko Kanno, so I still have some hopes for this season. Not that I will get to watch any of them until they come out on DVD... Sad
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
I really liked the first episode of Space Bros. The family dynamic was spot on. Loved how the mother spoiler[secretly submitted Mutta's application to JAXA.] Laughing
sakurablossoms23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

I think uchuu kyodai (space brothers) looks good, but a lot more is coming out that will hopefully satisfy you.

Will the shows coming out later in the month like Hyouka still be covered in the guide?
Volibear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
sakurablossoms23 wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:

I think uchuu kyodai (space brothers) looks good, but a lot more is coming out that will hopefully satisfy you.

Will the shows coming out later in the month like Hyouka still be covered in the guide?

pretty much everything in a season is covered, unless there is a reason not to, like:

-Ozuma, which is already 3 episodes into its 6 episodes,
-or Black Rock Shooter last season, which started a month later since it was 8 episodes, thus missing its oppurtunity to be in the guide
-or some of the more children specific series (Pokemon, Digimon, etc.) tend not to be reviewed either since their target audience isn't exactly users of this site

i think, and correct me if i'm wrong, but the guide usually goes on for about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks, 3 at the most, so that it catches any early starting series and also catches the later starting series, like the noitaminA series, so i guess unless something starts really late then it'll be in the guide

with Hyouka and AKB0048 it might be more down to if anyone wants to review them or if they move on from the guide, since they do air 10 days and 17 days later than anything else, respectively
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
I just started reading Uchuu Kyoudai at work the other day and I'm really looking forward to the anime. I can totally imagine Hirata as Mutta since Mutta's got a similar personality to Kotetsu.

The brother's name is Hibito, not Hibino, btw.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote
Think it'd be more intriguing if it's a cliche story of sisterly love................. in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE! Laughing

vashfanatic wrote:

I think the popularity of space right now is partly due to Hayabusa, which has had three movie adaptations in the last year.

Though it didn't really collect all that much asteroid dust (very little actually), but it's better than the mishaps of H2A rockets some years back. Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Though it didn't really collect all that much asteroid dust (very little actually), but it's better than the mishaps of H2A rockets some years back. Laughing

But it was lost, and then it was found, and they have milked that for so much drama!

Anyway, I think it's obvious from my last post that the shows I'm most looking forward to are Lupin III: A Woman Named Mine Fujiko (4/4), Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (4/6), and Kids on the Slope (4/12). But there are plenty of others I'm interested in seeing reviewed, because they look either amusingly awful or able to go either way.

Anyway, in Japan tomorrow brings us:
- Zetman (this series looks like an early 90s OVA, and yet it's based on a manga from 2002)
- Yurumates 3D (gag comedy)
- You and Me 2 (continuation of an older show)
- Gon (assuming anyone wants to cover a little kids' show)
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
Why are people so excited over some satellite collecting dust from an asteroid? Confused

Not like said dust have the magical property to turn every human being into a cute dog-eared schoolgirl
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Why are people so excited over some satellite collecting dust from an asteroid? Confused

Not like said dust have the magical property to turn every human being into a cute dog-eared schoolgirl

It's because they nearly lost it after power died, and it took some ingenuity to get it reignited and brought back to earth. You can read more details here. After that, it just became about three studios competing to cash in on it.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Theron, when talking about Hiiro no Kakera, wrote:
The premise would have to try hard to be any more insipid...

I agree. Insipid is exactly the right word for it. Nine minutes in and I was gagging for breath from the absolute lack or originality or creativity. And heck, many works can take an unoriginal premise and through good writing make it interesting; Hiiro no Kakera most certainly does not. It is really only for established fans of the genre, and even there isn't much for them to celebrate.

It would have been better if they just made it boys love.

Edit: Is Mistress Dongs not going to be doing reviews this time around?

Last edited by dragon695 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
Will ANN review Saint Seiya Omega?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote
Seems that Folktales from Japan is going to be a great series!

The first folktale (the story about Shiro the White Dog) reminded me of "The Sparrows Gift" from this collection of Japanese Folktales. I recommend buying it for anyone curious about more Japanese myths!

I'm going to watch Space Brothers as well since it seems like a good series. But I'll skip Hiro no Kakera.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
oh boy it's that time of the season... I can't wait to see what else gets reviews/skewed by zac. Also.. nothing of interest has popped up lately from c.r.'s streams...

I'm personally looking forward to his review of

• Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead
  • Queen's Blade: Rebellion
  • UPOTTE!!
  • Acchi Kocchi
  • Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
  • Koi-ken!
  • Nazo no Kanojo X
  • Saki: Achiga-hen episode of side-A
  • Sankarea
  • Sengoku Collection

I would put these on my short list of puerile, prurient, otaku-oriented shows. I'll be checking out Queen's Blade: Rebellion in spite of the patently obvious T&A factor, since I've been told that the action and story is fairly decent. As for the other shows in that list, I'll be especially interested if any of the turds were polished into watchable diamonds. I was pleasantly surprised by PapaKiki last season, let's see if there are any dark horses this season.

Last edited by dragon695 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Seems that Folktales from Japan is going to be a great series!

The first folktale (the story about Shiro the White Dog) reminded me of "The Sparrows Gift" from this collection of Japanese Folktales. I recommend buying it for anyone curious about more Japanese myths!

And "The Tongue-Cut Sparrow" is that same AT-480 that I mentioned in my review! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed.Very Happy If you liked that story, it's interesting to compare it to The Three Little Men in the Woods and Frau Holle, two of the German variants. If you like Japanese folklore, you should see if you can hunt down any of Lafcadio Hearn's books. Not the most accurate at times, but he has some great early translations and the early editions are beautiful.

(Incidentally, did you see the episode of "Grimm" that used the Japanese tale "The Demon Spider?" I'm hoping that one gets an episode of the Folktales anime.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 69