• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: High School DxD TV Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Astara_ wrote:

I believe the point was that 1080p would be the only medium capable of delivering the full quality of the anime.

A) 1080p isn't a media, its a resolution

B) the "best quality" would be achieved by viewing it in its native resolution (whatever that would be), however that is generally not an option. Both up and downscaling incur a loss of quality.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Astara_ wrote:

Furthermore, TV stations AND crunchyroll's media has already been encoded at 1080p. To re-encode it at another size would be doubly lossy.

TV Stations air stuff in 1080i (mostly because of bandwidth reasons) and your TV does the inverse-telecine if needed. Crunchyroll encodes at 1080p and does the inverse-telecine during the encoding process because computer monitors aren't designed to displayed interlaced material.
Astara_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Astara_ wrote:

I believe the point was that 1080p would be the only medium capable of delivering the full quality of the anime.

A) 1080p isn't a media, its a resolution

B) the "best quality" would be achieved by viewing it in its native resolution (whatever that would be), however that is generally not an option. Both up and downscaling incur a loss of quality.

Right. The article says the content given to CR and the TV stations is 1080p. Someone tried to make up the claim that CR upscaled their releases, and then pointed at an article that that said CR's source tapes were 1080p just like the TV station's sources.

This was going on in a context of whether or not it would be released in 1080p -- mostly instead of "DVD", as that's generally what is done in the US. When something is released on BR, I have yet to see a 720p release, Nevertheless, 720p would still be losing quality vs. 1080p if the original source was 900p..

Broadcasting and distribution at 900p is not an option AFAIK, as it's not a supported HD definintion. So of the available definitions 1080p, 720p, 480p, which would give the best quality if native was 900p?

There is only 1 of those that won't lose information.

It is true that 20% of the content at 1080p will have been upscaled, but that is preferable to throwing away 20% of the content. But more to the point was my talking about them releasing it in DVD quality first which loses 47% of the quality.

That's the complaint. why should we want something with almost 50% of the content destroyed on arrival?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Astara_ wrote:

That's the complaint. why should we want something with almost 50% of the content destroyed on arrival?

No, the point is you have no idea what you are talking about.
Astara_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Astara_ wrote:

No, the point is you have no idea what you are talking about.

???

We just proved that japanese anime was created in an average
1600x900 format.

In order to represent that in full resolution at a 60Hz refresh rate, you need a minimum 900p. Since the lowest resolution available for consumers that is NOT below this amount is 1080p, it is the only choice for receiving full resolution content.

If someone offers a DVD, the maximum resolution on US DVD's is 640x480. I offered to only claim near 50% content destroyed based on only 1 resolution, but as you claim I have no idea what I am talking about.

The reality is that if it is produced in 1600x900 format, that's
1.44mp (mega-pixels)/frame. vs 640x480 = .3072mp

.3072/1.44 = .2133 or a 78.67% data loss over the original source.

So more to the point, why should US consumers knowingly submit only getting <1/4th of the quality of the original?

Perhaps you care to explain how that isn't a ripoff.

Why don't you just offer the programs in Blue Ray and realize DVD is a dead format?

You would like to portray me as someone who doesn't know what they are talking about so people won't believe that DVD's are a ripoff for anime.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
Astara_ wrote:

Why don't you just offer the programs in Blue Ray and realize DVD is a dead format?

DVD is by far the dominant format in North America. Maybe in 5 years DVD will be a dead format (I don't think so), but right now? Absolutely not.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
1600x900 format.

I wouldn't bet on that, 720p for the character layers would seem to be the median, 1080p on CG backgrounds, but that doesn't mean the master resolution is 1080p. What's on the BluRay discs are also upscales from what they're originally produced at.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Astara_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Astara_ wrote:

Furthermore, TV stations AND crunchyroll's media has already been encoded at 1080p. To re-encode it at another size would be doubly lossy.

TV Stations air stuff in 1080i (mostly because of bandwidth reasons) and your TV does the inverse-telecine if needed. Crunchyroll encodes at 1080p and does the inverse-telecine during the encoding process because computer monitors aren't designed to displayed interlaced material.

If you are running on windows Vista or later you can have your computer hooked up to power your HD monitor and run it in all sorts of TV like modes in including 23-24, 29-30 frames/minute which use the 'i' format to give you half the frame rate.

Or you can let your video player upscale it -- but you can stream video in 1080i for computer users -- as most video software will convert it and with the right OS & hardware, it plays natively.
Astara_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Astara_ wrote:

DVD is by far the dominant format in North America. Maybe in 5 years DVD will be a dead format (I don't think so), but right now? Absolutely not.

It is to me.

I haven't bought anything on DVD in at least 2 years...when I realized things were being released in the US on DVD and elsewhere on BR. Generally a BR release comes out later with the intention being that consumers buy the product twice.

The same issue happened with VCR's and DVD's about 10 years back. Never will forget the people who put out the Xena series .. by season 3, I asked them were the DVD's were. They said they the series would never be available on DVD. They had bought exclusive rights to distribution for the next 5 years -- at the end of which, it came out on DVD.
It was just a cheap company that didn't want to upgrade their production.

How is it any different now. A BR player can be had for <100 new, <70 refurbished, and <50 used w/amazon guarantee.

How much does 1 series cost? If you have to buy it twice?

If you vow never to buy another DVD, you've paid for your BR player 10 times over.
Astara_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
1600x900 format.

I wouldn't bet on that, 720p for the character layers would seem to be the median, 1080p on CG backgrounds, but that doesn't mean the master resolution is 1080p. What's on the BluRay discs are also upscales from what they're originally produced at.

It doesn't negate the point that to release even 720p material on DVD media throws away 2/3's of the resolution and likely more when they try to adapt wide screen to narrow.

(720x1280 v. 480x640).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
The point is, you're comparing BluRays to TV-airings. Stop it. There's different processes and different bitrates involved. Of course BluRay is the superior format for resolution and data, and anime upscaled to 1080p on BD will look better than the 1080i that's used for TV, but the i and p here are still completely different things. Aside from the little line about DVD still selling the best here over BD, no one's arguing that DVD is better.

DVD maintains control for now because players are cheap and ubiquitous – in cars, built-ins on TVs, standard for computers and laptops. Once BD players are good and cheap, BD will take over – the discs themselves have already dropped to reasonable.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
@Astara_

Well, you kind of did say that Crunchyroll has 1080p Anime when in fact it has Anime upscaled to 1080p, a subtle but important difference.

Is upscaling better than downscaling. Probably yes. But this wasn't about DVDs versis Blu-Rays, this was about you not reading that article properly.

And why are you telling Fencedude5609 that he should stop offering programs in DVD format? I didn't know he was in charge of the Japanese Anime industry . . .

(And DVD isn't dead, it still sells very strongly)
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

And why are you telling Fencedude5609 that he should stop offering programs in DVD format? I didn't know he was in charge of the Japanese Anime industry . . .

BTW. I'm still waiting for a response to my hilarious sexy demons joke.

I DID THAT ALL FOR YOU ASTARA
Astara_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
@Astara_

Well, you kind of did say that Crunchyroll has 1080p Anime when in fact it has Anime upscaled to 1080p, a subtle but important difference.

I was saying Crunchyrole didn't upscale their stuff -- it was given to them by the people who own the rights to it in the same format as it was given to the TV-producers. To blame CR for something that isn't their doing sounds a bit off to me.

Also, as for showing upscaled? That makes it sound bad, when it is as good as it can get, because the next resolution down would be throwing away resolution.

Quote:

Is upscaling better than downscaling. Probably yes. But this wasn't about DVDs versis Blu-Rays, this was about you not reading that article properly.

The reason the subject of resolution came up was because I asked if they anime was going to be released on 1080p BR instead of DVD.

I not only can read, but can follow a thread for longer than 1page.

Quote:

I'm saying that to someone who believe DVD's are a useful tool for extracting a fool from their money.
Quote:

(And DVD isn't dead, it still sells very strongly)

Just because a fool and their money are soon parted doesn't
make it ethical.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
Astra_, you seem to misunderstand how the market works. DVD will not be obsolete until consumers say it is. Blu-ray's the obvious successor, but the time frame is entirely up to the "fools" who choose to part with their money. If they aren't interested in the technical specs, it just ain't happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6