• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Just saw a livestream of Chuunibyou episode 2. Ridiculous amount of fun. And KyoAni is seriously going all out with the animation.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
That's good to know. I've heard from some peeps who were at that pre-showing mentioning that it was Episode 2 that really hooked them. Let's see if that translate to bigger potential sales!
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
a thought just occurred to me. is there a main heroine in Little Busters?

I have no idea, but, if you haven't played the game, just watch and find out! It might be fun not knowing who the Nagisa equivalent is and figuring it out as you go along!

I finally got around to watching the first episode of "Say I Love You" and it was really great! Well executed, well drawn, and well written. It could well be my favorite of the season, but "My Little Monster" is right up there too.

I haven't seen the first episode of "Pet Girl" yet, so I will withhold judgement on the anime version . However I read the first few chapters of the manga version a while back and didn't find it overly offensive and did find it quite funny. If you think of Mashiro as an "idiot savant", ala Rainman, except with drawing instead of math, she makes more sense. ("I'm definitely not wearing my underwear...") The fact that she is very attractive seems to puch people's buttons.

It would be wonderful to do an experiment where the same story was animated with an attractive character like Mashiro and with a more average looking, perhaps even androgynous, female lead who, other than looks, had all the same characteristics and see if people find both stories equally offensive and sexist. My gut instinct is that people would find the show with the hot looking girl far more offensive.

Consider this thought experiment: If the above experiment were done and it did show that people rated the version with a good looking girl more offensive and sexist, what does that suggest about the inherent sexism in the show? In other words, where does the sexism lie, in the creator's mind or the viewer's?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It would be wonderful to do an experiment where the same story was animated with an attractive character like Mashiro and with a more average looking, perhaps even androgynous, female lead who, other than looks, had all the same characteristics and see if people find both stories equally offensive and sexist. My gut instinct is that people would find the show with the hot looking girl far more offensive.

Bamboo actually talked about this earlier. She said that the show ofended her because it's sexualizing someone who is basically mentally retarded.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Are Tsukihime and Higurashi also not 'real' visual novels?

Those are actually Japanese, though. This would be like using a random comic off DevaintArt and calling it a 'doujin' or 'manga' and listing it as one.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Are you seriously stating that a VN can't be a "real" VN if it's not Japanese?

I really shouldn't be surprised, but that's ridiculous. If it has every single bit of the trappings of VNs, it's a VN. Nationality has nothing to do with it. That's like saying that anime isn't true animation because the firdt animation wasn't Japanese.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I have my issues with Katawa Shoujo, but its certainly a legit VN.

That being said, its not precisely what most people are looking for in VN reviews.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm noticing a lack of magi, did anyone see it yet?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:

It just showed up on crunchyroll today, so I imagine some previews for it will show up soon, along with some for the second episode of From the New World.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Are you seriously stating that a VN can't be a "real" VN if it's not Japanese?

I really shouldn't be surprised, but that's ridiculous. If it has every single bit of the trappings of VNs, it's a VN. Nationality has nothing to do with it. That's like saying that anime isn't true animation because the firdt animation wasn't Japanese.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Its a visual novel, but its not an anime visual novel... which is the difference. Sure, it may look like crudely drawn anime characters, but its not anime if its foreign made, since anime means its Japanese made. So in the end, you have a visual novel that tries to be Japanese.. not that its terrible or anything (its actually better than I expected it would be), but its not a good representation of the medium.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

It just showed up on crunchyroll today, so I imagine some previews for it will show up soon, along with some for the second episode of From the New World.

Correct on both accounts; I'll be getting to Magi later this evening and I'm sure others will be getting to it sooner. For whatever reason, a much higher % of shows than normal are streaming day(s) of delay this season.

Last edited by Key on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Sure, it may look like crudely drawn anime characters, but its not anime if its foreign made, since anime means its Japanese made. So in the end, you have a visual novel that tries to be Japanese.. not that its terrible or anything (its actually better than I expected it would be), but its not a good representation of the medium.

That's basically what I mean. Asking for VN reviews then throwing out KS is like asking for doujin reviews and throwing out Tails Gets Trolled, or asking for an anime review and getting Totally Spies, just because they people's attempts at being doujins/anime doesn't make them applicable subjects or what people meant by their inquiry. I imagine people were more referencing Type-Moon stuff or other VNs that are actually relevant to the anime community.. like the source material for these anime adaptions.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I just turned it in about an hour ago, so I'm sure it will show up this evening.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Correct on both accounts; I'll be getting to Magi later this evening and I'm sure others will be getting to it sooner. For whatever reason, a much higher % of shows than normal are streaming day(s) of delay this season.

Maybe after Sentai's big mess up, that'll be the new normal for streaming. No chance of any more early airing slip ups, everyone still gets their anime in a reasonable amount of time, just not before the Japanese, who are the more important customers.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Its a visual novel, but its not an anime visual novel... which is the difference. Sure, it may look like crudely drawn anime characters, but its not anime if its foreign made, since anime means its Japanese made. So in the end, you have a visual novel that tries to be Japanese.. not that its terrible or anything (its actually better than I expected it would be), but its not a good representation of the medium.

While visual novels are made pretty much only in Japan, Katawa Shoujo has the same "mechanics" as so many other visual novels - routes, choices, visual and audial presentation, narrative mode, even token sex scenes. How "Japanese" the style seems to you is irrelevant here. Visual novels in Japan aren't exactly all the same either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 55