• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Melancholy of.... Overrated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taoofjord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just finished watching the show today. I have to say, I absolutely adored the first 2 episodes. I was hoping it would stay that way but when they started introducing the sci-fi and philosophical discussion it definately turned me off.

After the first few episodes I was ready to rate it a masterpiece but the sci-fi plot brought it down a notch in my eyes. Maybe I'm just strange but I really enjoyed the episodes that were basically about nothing. They did a great job with them. The more story in each episode the less humor, that's the way I saw it. And the humor was fantastic.

As the show progressed, I slowly accepted that it wasn't just a comedy/slice-of-life show and started enjoying it more. By the end I was definately pleased with the show. So much so that I rated it an Excellent. I still would have preferred an off-the-wall/quriky slice of life comedy but oh well, it was still excellent.
Niceguy9418

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm about halfway through the series, but have read the wikipedia entry, so I kind of know what's coming. I have to say, I really like it. I haven't seen enough anime to really know is it's "overated" or not, but while I only rated it "Excellent" rather than "Masterpiece" I have to say that I'm not at all disappointed, even after hearing all the "hype.".

Is it the best of all time? No, probably not. (For me that's still FMA though, so what do I know? Very Happy ) But I seriously don't see how 40 people (or even 1!) could truly believe it's one of the "Worst Ever." That is much farther from the truth than saying it's the best ever.

(Unless you're like Baldrick: These are my very best pair of underpants! Coincidently they are also my very worst pair!
Blackadder: So they are in fact, you're ONLY pair of underpants?
Baldrick: Yep!)

I guess ff it's the only anime you've ever seen, than I suppose you could say it was the worst one you ever saw. (And coincidently... also the best!)

Whatever. I really dig it.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I rated it masterpiece becaues it's unique. I was tired of seeing animes with the same generic plot and character design. Also the attention to detail was amazing, as was the number of refrences (check the wikipedia trivia section..its much longer than the one here)
xiaoxu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
same here..definately masterpice because its original...one ting,the episodes not in chornological order and every eps always has someting u can laugh about or be amazed at or mostly both...i mean the parts wherespoiler[nagato uses her data manipulation powers or when koizumi used his esp is jus soo cool...especially luv it where it was nagato vs asakura...and the hints of snow white and sleeping beauty was jus pure genious...dint think theyd liken the situation to a fairy tale...] this series really got creativity...i mean they put mystery,sci fi,action,comedy,romance...i tink all the genres are coved in this series...tats y i luv it ^^ perfect all-rounder ^^
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:52 am Reply with quote
xiaoxu wrote:
same here..definately masterpice because its original...one ting,the episodes not in chornological order and every eps always has someting u can laugh about or be amazed at or mostly both...i mean the parts wherespoiler[nagato uses her data manipulation powers or when koizumi used his esp is jus soo cool...especially luv it where it was nagato vs asakura...and the hints of snow white and sleeping beauty was jus pure genious...dint think theyd liken the situation to a fairy tale...] this series really got creativity...i mean they put mystery,sci fi,action,comedy,romance...i tink all the genres are coved in this series...tats y i luv it ^^ perfect all-rounder ^^
If you continue to write/spell like this, you may find your posts edited or deleted. Your name suggests that maybe English isn't your first language, and that's okay, but we require more effort than this. For instance tat=that, tink=think ting=thing, y=why, luv=love, for starters.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Your name suggests that maybe English isn't your first language, and that's okay, but we require more effort than this.

I'll bet a bag of Sun Chips that he is a native English speaker, regardless of ethnic background.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ishmael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote
[quote="Pleroma"]
Quote:

I think most people love this series because as Tony K said it is really one of a kind. In many years of watching anime I have never seen anything like it. It is incredibly well animated, completely unconventional and cleverly written. Its cute and funny without pandering and gets serious in a realistic manner, never falling to melodramatics. Its not my favorite ever (maybe after season 2 ^^) but it definitely deserves all the praise it gets if only for being such a breath of fresh air to the whole industry.

Well said. I'm sorry for the opener if he thinks because he did not enjoy it as much as other people, it means it's overrated. Something that's overrated, IMO, would be something low in quality that gets praise for some reason. Here, quality is not in question, neither for animation, nor acting (at least in japanese), nor presentation, nor writing. But of course, not everyone can like it, that's obvious.

Personally, the first episode is still the best, and is one of the best episode in any series ever, IMO.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
*wonders idly if anyone else noticed this thread's just over a year old*

Popularity propels itself. If one guy likes series A, and shows it to his 2 friends and they like it too. The 3 will end up liking it more than if they enjoyed it alone- it's that added boost from having a group to laugh/cry/whatever with you.

And those 3 will show the series to more and more people, so the whole thing snowballs... no anime can hold up to the high standards placed on it by a zealous fandom so caught up in promoting the series to each other, they don't see the flaws. Reminds me of watching through Weiss Kreuz with friends both on and offline. I loved it at the time... then I watched it again sometime later, after I'd fallen away from the fandom. Well, I tried to watch it again... I was pretty blown away to see how truly horrible a show it was! Laughing

I'm not saying Haruhi is like WK, not by any stretch... but it's still true that, unless you're part of the crowd loving it to death, it's going to seem underwhelming when you watch it. It has to- no anime is really that universally lovable. It's hard, but one has to really try and push all the hype- good or bad- out of their head to watch anything these days, lest you simply be swept up by the enthusiasm of your fellow fans.

As for the guys giving it the 0-total-trash ratings... there's always a few who try to define their individuality by uniformly panning everything with a good-sized fanbase. And they can have fun watching whatever garbage, low-rated show they've chosen to claim an ignored gem to prove they must have better taste than everyone else. I'll watch what I want, please- regardless of what anyone else hates about it- or loves.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
xiaoxu wrote:
If you continue to write/spell like this, you may find your posts edited or deleted. Your name suggests that maybe English isn't your first language, and that's okay, but we require more effort than this. For instance tat=that, tink=think ting=thing, y=why, luv=love, for starters.

No, all of his issues are what I would expect in a chat room. ESLers don't use "u" for you or "luv" for love. That's just laziness from an English speaker who thinks chatroom/IM speak is great. Then there are the numerous other spelling errors that he just didn't bother checking or didn't care. His grammar appears to be fine, so it's probably not a second/whatever language issue.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
m00nshine wrote:
What pissed me off the most was how during the whole series spoiler[the alien, esper, and time traveller kept saying she could change the world or make events happen the way she pleases and yet nothing happens until the very last episode and then we get a 15 min climax with a VERY predictable ending.]

I have to wonder. What order did you watch this series? I for one shuffled the order of the episodes randomly and watched it that way. Twisted Evil And by the way -- this series is supported by an 8-volume (light) novel set -- in which this first season only covers the first book and parts of books 2 and 3. Maybe even 4.

So, if you're looking for that "gigantic" ending representing Haruhi's desire -- y'gonna have to wait like the rest of us.

Last edited by KyuuA4 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi is an okay series (wouldn't buy the DVDs) but the random dancing is very amusing. It is kinda overrated since the pacing was slow, but I have to agree that is is a unique show. It had it's moments. Lucky Star, on the other hand, is very overrated. Haruhi had a plot, Lucky Star didn't have a plot. I probably pissed off a bunch of people by saying that, but I like my anime with a plot and pacing that isn't slower than a snail.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Your name suggests that maybe English isn't your first language, and that's okay, but we require more effort than this.

I'll bet a bag of Sun Chips that he is a native English speaker, regardless of ethnic background.
Well, I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt, before I start outright deleting posts.
mistress_reebi wrote:
Haruhi is an okay series (wouldn't buy the DVDs) but the random dancing is very amusing. It is kinda overrated since the pacing was slow, but I have to agree that is is a unique show. It had its moments. Lucky Star, on the other hand, is very overrated. Haruhi had a plot, Lucky Star didn't have a plot. I probably pissed off a bunch of people by saying that, but I like my anime with a plot and pacing that isn't slower than a snail.
Except Lucky Star isn't really supposed to be an anime with a plot, it's supposed to be a collage of otaku references and Kyoto Animation in-jokes. From what I understand it's a faithful adaptation of its 4-panel source manga. Kind of like Azumanga Daioh. And what's so bad about slow pacing anyway? Sure it's not for everyone and you may not like it personally, but it doesn't make things objectively worse. I kind of like that not every series flies along at breakneck Kannazuki no Miko pace.
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think it was slow at all.. I could barely keep up when I first watched it..

Hare Hare Yukai is overrated.. I know people who know about it, and they haven't even watched TMoHS, let alone anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
You know what is a master piece Gurren Lagann thats what you all should be watching. Cool
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
crow-kun wrote:
You know what is a master piece Gurren Lagann thats what you all should be watching. Cool

The staff of any masterpiece wouldn't have to snipe the mascot of its competitor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7