• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon XY TV Anime to Debut on October 17 with Satoshi/Ash

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
precita wrote:
Why on earth do people keep bringing up Misty? Surely after 10 years and 3 generations people can get it through their heads that she's never going to be brought back?

Most people who complain about the anime probably never watched more than the original series, dubbed, back when they were little kids, so they're going completely off nostalgia and what they consider 'the good old days'. Otherwise, they'd know Kasumi is the least popular female companion.
precita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
precita wrote:
Why on earth do people keep bringing up Misty? Surely after 10 years and 3 generations people can get it through their heads that she's never going to be brought back?

Most people who complain about the anime probably never watched more than the original series, dubbed, back when they were little kids, so they're going completely off nostalgia and what they consider 'the good old days'. Otherwise, they'd know Kasumi is the least popular female companion.

I'd wager Iris is the least popular female lead. I don't mind her myself, but a lot of people see her as a worse version of Misty or a Mary Sue. Also if/when she leaves at BW's end, she'll be the shortest lived female lead of the show with only a 3 year run.

Granted I doubt whoever the next female lead is will be any more popular, the overall viewership of the show has declined in both Japan and the U.S.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
precita wrote:

My guess is that isn't really based on how well she was written (although to be fair she wasn't really written that well from Johto to her exit) but more on the fact that she's old as dirt compared to the other female leads that have been on the show and hence has been long forgotten. I've always been under the impression that the Japanese audience is more infatuated with the new now than the old and forgotten, kind of like if there's a survey done in a monthly serial about the viewers favorite manga/anime characters it'll almost certainly be dominated by characters in current anime series from the last 2-3 years and nothing beyond that even if there are better written characters in older series that aren't present on the list. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
precita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Japan has shows with constantly changing protagonists, that's why they probably don't care. Which is why its more mind boggling that Ash isn't finally retired.

Maybe if his Japanese voice actor finally retires, that'll be when they let Ash go. By the time the X and Y anime ends the anime will be on for 20 years....unbelieveable.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
precita wrote:
Japan has shows with constantly changing protagonists, that's why they probably don't care. Which is why its more mind boggling that Ash isn't finally retired.

They also have many shows that don't change protagonists so there you go Smile
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Oh, gee, Ash is the protagonist again? What a shock? I wonder what girl they'll use for his sidekick this time. I'm still annoyed that Hilda/Touko got ignored in favor of Iris.

Well i am not susprised. however if anyone know or watch the Simpsons , you can see that this series is similar to that one. All of the characters in the simpsons never aged , and its the same characters. that is the unfortunate fate when it comes to the pocket monsters series. like it or not , the main cannon series will always feature Satoshi and his pikachu.

So far in this series its a little improved over the Honnen saga , though it went to hell the minute they let him lose to that idiot Cameron. I could definitely get Tobias cause that was clearly a mismatch from the start and i would have tollerated the Male protagonist Nate from Black & White Version 2 beating him ,but having him lose to cameron was the worst decision the pokmon company did for this series since completing skipping the team plasma vs team rocket eps.

As for X/Y I kinda doubt they'll use the X/Y female protagonist or both Touko & Mei from the Isshu series as the newest female to accompanying satoshi , but we all can agree it better not be iris again.

I say they should allow Kasumi to return cause she might be the only female in the series that can finally fix satoshi from being so oblivious towards the opposite sex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AtoMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
however if anyone know or watch the Simpsons , you can see that this series is similar to that one.

No, it's not. Read my previous post and stop being ignorant.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not being ignorant.

and there are similarities with this series and the Simpsons. If your talking about storylines and the content , then of course. however i am talking about the age of the characters of both series.

For one thing , all the characters in the Simpsons NEVER age even after all this time. and after over 15 years Satoshi is STILL 10 years old. its as i said. uncanny similarities.

Also no one in the forums was susprised when they announced that iris would be the new female accompying him. they have already did it twice ( Haruka & Hikari ) so it was preety obivious they wasnt gonna use Touko. At least it wasnt Bell / Bianca . However they could have allowed mei to be the new girl for the second season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I say they should allow Kasumi to return cause she might be the only female in the series that can finally fix satoshi from being so oblivious towards the opposite sex.

The problem with this is: how will Misty's [supposed] departure from her Gym and her [supposed] reunion with Ash within this new season of Pokemon be explained? Her journey with Ash came to a complete end after departing from the Johto Region, and that's ages earlier.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
never said it would actually happen , but it would get some of the die hard fans that gave up on the series to return.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Er, why is that? The only character who ever really brought romance up was Kotone.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I'm not being ignorant.

Yes, you are. You decided to ignore the facts that are against your "theory".

jr0904 wrote:
and there are similarities with this series and the Simpsons. If your talking about storylines and the content , then of course. however i am talking about the age of the characters of both series.

For one thing , all the characters in the Simpsons NEVER age even after all this time. and after over 15 years Satoshi is STILL 10 years old. its as i said. uncanny similarities.

This would be true if Ash was always 10 years old. He wasn't. He was de-aged for convenience at the beginning of Unova League. Again, read my previous post for reference.

Ash did grow taller. Noone in Simpsons, to my knowledge, ever did.

Trying to compare the show that has no ongoing plot at all with an ongoing saga of self-improvement, growing up as a trainer etc. is just ridiculous and i seriously don't know why would anyone make such comparision. The only similarity between these two series is that they are animated.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

I don't know, Misty was on the show for like 5 years, and Ash ignored everything about her opposite sexness.

AtoMan wrote:
This would be true if Ash was always 10 years old.

He was.
precita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
The writers toned down Misty's crush on Ash during Johto because they obviously realized they were never going to do anything with it. Giving Ash a "girlfriend" in the series was a terrible idea that would have only worked if the show ended after Kanto.

This is why when Misty returned those few times in Hoenn, the crush on Ash didn't exist anymore. They phased it out.

Likewise I just don't think the writers care about shipping outside of filler characters or Pokemon anymore. The last canon hinted pairing was May and Drew back in Hoenn, and nothing after that for the last two generations. Iris and Cilan show no interest in love and Dawn was largely oblivious to it and was treated like an Ash clone.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Trying to compare the show that has no ongoing plot at all with an ongoing saga of self-improvement, growing up as a trainer etc. is just ridiculous and i seriously don't know why would anyone make such comparision. The only similarity between these two series is that they are animated.

Might not have an ongoing plot, but there are plots that are stilled continued on the show. Apu having children, Flanders family changes, same with Patty and Selma, Sideshow Bob going from hero to zero, etc. Family having birthdays and anniversaries implying time has gone, but hasn't just like Ash with how they said he was one year later and all. But like both shows, they really don't age and in that basic foundation, are still similar.

Just don't be surprised if they pull BW again by saying he is 10 years old again in XY or still have a similar frame. Ash and Pikachu like they are, are mascots and they wouldn't really want to change them much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6