• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Loses $256k in Q3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
Strephon wrote:
It's not children who write letters to the FCC that lead to massive fines being levied against broadcasters; it's their parents. In other words, it's not a question of whether kids in the US are stupid (and I don't think "stupid" is the appropriate term anyway); it's a question of how their parents will react.

"OHMYGAWD!!! MY LITTLE TIMMY SAW A BREAST!! NOW HE'S GOING TO BE A CORRUPT PERV FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE!! I KNOW! I'LL SUE THE COMPANY RESONSIBLE FOR POISIONING MY POOR CHILD'S MIND INSTEAD OF BLAMING MY POOR PARENTING!!!" That pretty much sums it up.

Seriously though. I don't see why it's such a big deal to parents. Better to let kids learn about this stuff early than be oblivious to it like I was. Kids aren't as dumb as people think. They won't become corrupt or anything like that.

This reminds me of something I read at IMDB. This one guy was complaining on the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX forums there that GX showed a girl's boobs(Alexis Rhodes' I believe). Yet they were covered by water. And that his eight year old brother saw this scene. Here's a hilarious quote from that same topic.

abreeze from IMDB wrote:
Wow dude first of all YOU need to calm down. I couldn't give a monkey's butt about anime. You're obsessed. That's fine. Good for you! I said nothing for myself or FRIENDS. I said my 8 year old LITTLE BROTHER. Did you just skim over what I said? Reread it. I can't believe you have the audicity to catch and attitude with me for being CONCERNED about my little brother's innocence. Have nothing USEFUL to say? No? Then don't post next time.

"My little brother's INNOCENCE"!? OMG! It was a shower scene you dumb f**k! Thank god I don't have this guy for an older brother. MY older brother may not like anime but at least he wouldn't go THAT far and be like "I'm just trying to protect my little brother(me) from the nasty stuff in anime!!111"

If that guy and 4kids have a problem with shower scenes, then I can't WAIT to see what they think of Hellsing.

BTW, if you want feel free to make fun of what that guy wrote. It IS pretty funny(yet stupid).

dear God if 4kids had Hellsing and tried to make it into a kids show...*shudders*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

dear God if 4kids had Hellsing and tried to make it into a kids show...*shudders*

From both a serious and stupid humour point of view thats a very very retarded sentence.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

If that happened, the title would be the first to go. Replaced with:

"HFILsing"!

Oh, wait. That wasn't 4kids.

Then...

"Shadow Realmsing"!
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
"In the name of Zorc Necrophades, may these lost souls be banished to the Shadow Realm. Now, MOVE OUT!!"

Alucard would have his name changed to something like "Al the friendly Carmen Sandiego look alike", the title would PROBABLY be changed to Hecksing(Or at least what it said on the YTMND), The crosses would look like sticks(Just like Mihawk from One Piece's swords). No religious talk either. Just talk about how Al will send you to the Shadow Realm with "his Nerf Darts of Doom."

"Fear the power of my Nerf gun as it sends you to the Shadow Realm."

No blood packets either but fruit juice cartons. Instead of Police Girl being bitten, Alucard(Now Al) gave her a juice carton and now she has a craving for juice so she works with "Hecksing" to get more juice cartons. No vampires as they may scare the tikes. Instead "Hecksing" fights large bunnies bent on world domination.

And last but not least, the title change: "The Adventures of Al and friends."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
He never said how the kid reacted to it. Probably like how any mature eight year old would react. Or as mature as they get.
Yeah go to any third grade class anywhere in the world that has them and you'll find lots. I bet you were mature at that age. I know I was. Hell, I was smoking cigarettes by the time I was 9, ready to shag me first bird, even though I had no hair yet, that's how mature I was. If me parents ever found out I would have been crucified to the side of the back shed.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Shonen Bat wrote:
He never said how the kid reacted to it. Probably like how any mature eight year old would react. Or as mature as they get.
Yeah go to any third grade class anywhere in the world that has them and you'll find lots. I bet you were mature at that age. I know I was. Hell, I was smoking cigarettes by the time I was 9, ready to shag me first bird, even though I had no hair yet, that's how mature I was. If me parents ever found out I would have been crucified to the side of the back shed.

Jesus, dude, relax. I said "As mature AS THEY GET. I KNOW I wasn't mature when I was 9. Now I'm a 15 year old kid who's STILL pretty immature. There's no need for an argument so relax.

I have a question for you, Mohawk. How old are you? I know for a fact you're older than me so if you ARE an adult, WHY are you arguing with someone who's only 15 years old?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Shonen Bat wrote:

Jesus, dude, relax. I said "As mature AS THEY GET. I KNOW I wasn't mature when I was 9. Now I'm a 15 year old kid who's STILL pretty immature. There's no need for an argument so relax.

I have a question for you, Mohawk. How old are you? I know for a fact you're older than me so if you ARE an adult, WHY are you arguing with someone who's only 15 years old?
You know? I often ask myself that whilst here. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. But I'm 54 last birthday, and I have a 14-year-old son so I guess I'm use to it. But now that you have stated your age I can now understand why you would think it's alright for young children to see scenes of a mature nature.
BTW mate, I wasn't kidding up there. I meant it. Wink
rocklobster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
Actually folks, cartoons have NEVER been just for kids. Most of the ones we Americans make are cute and cuddly. Kids are supposed to like cute and cuddly things (think stuffed animals), so we naturally assume that they're for kids. At least, that's my theory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

You know? I often ask myself that whilst here. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. But I'm 54 last birthday, and I have a 14-year-old son so I guess I'm use to it. But now that you have stated your age I can now understand why you would think it's alright for young children to see scenes of a mature nature.
BTW mate, I wasn't kidding up there. I meant it. Wink[/quote]What the hell does age have anything to do with this? I'm 21 and I feel exactly the same way. And the scene in Yugioh GX it's NOT of a mature nature. It's not like they're watching Shinji over-hearing Misato and Asuka talking about each others' bodies in a hot spring with lots of sexual innuendo. This is Yugioh. It's not freaking NGE. For Christ's sake, they aren't even showing nipples. IT'S NOT ANY WORSE THAN A BARBIE DOLL. Or do you think Mattel should censor Barbie dolls now? And once again you don't know that the younger brother was traumatized here. The older brother saw the breasts that wasn't even showing anything and panicked and wouldn't let his younger brother see it anymore without even stopping to see what the younger brother's reaction was. Chances are the younger brother probably didn't even care and it could have gone completely over his head without him realizing what was going on. And what exactly did the older brother accomplish here? Did the older brother explain to the younger brother what was going on or why exactly he thought breasts were bad? It sure doesn't look like that way to me. But now if he told his brother not to look at it anymore without any explanation why the younger brother is probably going to be even more confused than before. Hiding these things from him does not prevent him from being a sick pervert. Not explaining properly what's right or wrong probably will. The BIBLE has far worse scenes than anything Yugioh GX does but that doesn't stop parents from reading it to their kids, does it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

From both a serious and stupid humour point of view thats a very very retarded sentence.

well i know they'd never get it. Just thinking of all the hacking they'd do.

it was just a joke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
Rock Lobster:
Quote:
Actually folks, cartoons have NEVER been just for kids. Most of the ones we Americans make are cute and cuddly. Kids are supposed to like cute and cuddly things (think stuffed animals), so we naturally assume that they're for kids. At least, that's my theory.

Wink Wink Nudge Nudge
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

BTW mate, I wasn't kidding up there. I meant it. Wink
What the hell does age have anything to do with this? I'm 21 and I feel exactly the same way. And the scene in Yugioh GX it's NOT of a mature nature. It's not like they're watching Shinji over-hearing Misato and Asuka talking about each others' bodies in a hot spring with lots of sexual innuendo. This is Yugioh. It's not freaking NGE. For Christ's sake, they aren't even showing nipples. IT'S NOT ANY WORSE THAN A BARBIE DOLL. Or do you think Mattel should censor Barbie dolls now? And once again you don't know that the younger brother was traumatized here. The older brother saw the breasts that wasn't even showing anything and panicked and wouldn't let his younger brother see it anymore without even stopping to see what the younger brother's reaction was. Chances are the younger brother probably didn't even care and it could have gone completely over his head without him realizing what was going on. And what exactly did the older brother accomplish here? Did the older brother explain to the younger brother what was going on or why exactly he thought breasts were bad? It sure doesn't look like that way to me. But now if he told his brother not to look at it anymore without any explanation why the younger brother is probably going to be even more confused than before. Hiding these things from him does not prevent him from being a sick pervert. Not explaining properly what's right or wrong probably will. The BIBLE has far worse scenes than anything Yugioh GX does but that doesn't stop parents from reading it to their kids, does it?[/quote]

First, not to take Mohawk's side(And I'm not) but 21 isn't exactly "mature" yet. You're still a kid, Kouji, like me. Anyway, back to the real dissucsion. Once again , you nail what I was saying. Yu-GI-Oh! GX is a show for young boys, NGE is for a mature audience. Do you really think even the sub of GX would have stuff like that? Besides it's not like Sho or Judai were masturbating while watching Alexis take a bath. The closest thing to that(Which is also really distant) was Sho going to the Obelisk Blue Dorm to confess his love to Alexis. THAT'S IT!! No sex, nothing, just a confession which didn't really happen. And about your bible reference Kouji, I agree. Parents take their kids to church where they hear about demons that'll torture you for eternity if you're bad. And they're told about a man who was nailed to a cross and whipped(I believe it was) until he died. You think THAT wouldn't scare or damage an eight year old's psyche but a frickin' BATH SCENE would?! If kids can stand to hear stuff like THAT, they're defineatly old enough to see a bath scene where they're NOT EVEN SHOWING THE BOOBS!

One last question for Mohawk: Why are you always using the wink emoticon when responding to what I post? This better not have to do with the fact that I'm still a shota (young boy). So does that have a hidden meaning to it or do you just like that one the best? I don't expect this question to be taken seriously but d00d. Seriously.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of Ninja Turtles, I stopped buying the DVDs once they started putting the episodes out of order. Stories no longer made any sense; characters showing up before they've been introduced, etc. I know many others that also became infuriated and gave up on TMNT because of this. Most recently, TMNT ended on a cliffhanger in the summer and 4Kids and Playmates made the "brilliant" decision to just skip the conclusion to the cliffhanger plus several other episodes and start a new "futuristic" storyline. This also enraged many fans.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Rock Lobster:
Quote:

Wink Wink Nudge Nudge

Laughing That video made me ROFL. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Rock Lobster:
Quote:

Wink Wink Nudge Nudge

Laughing That video made me ROFL. Laughing

HAHA! That was funny. For some reason, I think I saw this on Cartoon Network(I'm not kidding).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8