• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime With Bad Reviews Yet You Enjoyed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
For me it would have to be Tekken movie. Having heard the reviews and how bad this was, I still decided to rent it and see for myself. I was expecting to be disappointed, yet found it quite the opposite. I liked spoiler[Kazuya's motives for bloodthirsty revenge and the connections between him and Jun, and her trying to bring him back to a state of mind that he was out of.] Another story that really caught my attention was spoiler[the Jack story, and how he sacrificed himself so that others could escape.] Like Street Fighter Alpha, they would bring in characters from the series, but I felt that they didn't overexaggerate how the characters were presented. I can see how fans can be disappointed when a movie adaption of a game doesn't turn out the way they expect it, but I think that this one turned out good on my part. This anime recieved a Very Good rating from me.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Gasaraki is one of my favorites. This is kinda strange, but views on the series are quite mixed, while a large majority of actual reviewers praise it VERY highly. The boring characters fail to draw me in, but I absolutely love the technical accuracy, the political war-themed plot, and the realistic mechs in the series.

Last edited by Ryvius213 on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I few series that I liked quite a bit and read bad reviews for include Blue Gender, Ikki Tousen, Scryed, and Stratos4. Blue Gender's ending could have been more user friendly but it also had highly excellent characters, cool mecha designs, a highly entertaining story, and a moody atnosphere. Ikki Tousen and Scryed were just plain "fun" to watch for me. Though not flawless, I still highly enjoyed them. Then there's Stratos4, which is one of those series that gets off to a slow start but then pulls a really great and interesting story out of the woodwork. It also had a large ammount of great characters as well.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why the Tekken movie gets so much heat. I gave it a Good rating because it kept me entertained and had a pretty good story. I liked the movie because it also showed me who some of the chracters are and I liked the fights(Although the spoiler[invisible dinosaur thing WAS pretty stupid]. It's not the best anime movie but it's not the worst either. And its dub is better than the One Piece dub. Then again, ANYTHING is better than the One Piece dub.(Except D.I.C.E and Duel Masters)

I also don't see why so many people hate Sin: The Movie. I'm not a Sci-Fi fan(My mother and brother are though) but I think this was one really good film. It was also the first anime where I heard one of the chracters say F**k. I liked the action, the religious themes(I'm not religious but I DO believe in God and reincarnation). I rated it Very Good.

Although Yu-GI-Oh! Duel Monsters was never reviewed, I just want to voice my opinion on it. I don't understand why people hate on this show so much. Yeah, it was raped and slaughtered until it was turned to crap by 4Kid$. The original is actually really good as is the manga and both the anime(subbed) and the manga are among my favorites.

That's all I can think of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say Angel Links. A lot of people have given it pretty low ratings, most likely because it didn't live up to being another season of Outlaw Star. But I for one, really enjoyed it.

Although it's very short at 13 episodes, where about only half of it is any kind of story, I liked the production values, especially the music and seiyuu. It also concluded in a way I feel is very unique. I don't want to spoil it, but I'll say it's one of THE main reasons I like it so much. For further details, please read the review in My Anime.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel kind of weird saying I'm enjoying Green Green. I'm not sure if the reviews I read were so awful that the show actually seemed good to me because I expected worse, or if it's because it's actually that bad, I just truly find it funny. It's a terrible show, but I think it's really fun to watch, and I look forward to finishing it up.

Another is Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch. It's a big guilty pleasure for me. I can't find a single reason I'm actually watching it, and it really is a terrible show, but I feel compelled to keep watching it.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I can think of a lot that are my actually my favorites that have gotten horrible reviews here. Nurse Witch Komugi and Galaxy Angel immediately come to mind. Although, I still don't understand why Komugi recieved a C and D in Art and Animation. I thought the animation was excellent. It was done by Kyoto Animation too... And you're able to tell, their style is pretty distinctive... Guess it's another one of those cases in the reviews that are so abundant here where other aspects of the anime somehow affect the artwork...

Also, while I didn't love it, I don't think Eiken deserves as many "worst ever" ratings as it has gotten... I honestly thought it was mildly amusing and almost liked it... I do like it in some aspects...
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, a lot of people seem to be mistakenly panning the 3rd Tenchi OAV (folks, the OAV NEVER was about Ryoko, Ayeka, and their rivalry for Tenchi, it's a damned SCI-FI series) but I think it's absolutely brilliant.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I think it's absolutely brilliant.

Please tell us why. I've already deleted two posts for not saying enough, and I'd rather you not be the third.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
All right Tony.

Though the day I thought I'd be taking orders from you came far too soon. Next thing you know I'll be shopping for a Rascal scooter to stick my "My other car is a Zaku" bumper sticker on. Wink

Quite simply, I feel that the 3rd OAV has encapsulated everything I enjoy most about Tenchi Muyo. It both expands and explains the intricate universe that Kajishima has spent decades building. The writing is phenomeonal, and not one character that's been introduced is superfluous. If there's any flaw in the 3rd OAV, it's that there's far more story behind it than has been shown. There's so much CONTENT in the 3rd OAV it takes several viewings to absorb it all - kind of like watching or reading Dune - and it still feels like there's more to go.

For that wholeness, I feel that the 3rd OAV is a major accomplishment.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
As I've pointed out recently I'm surprised at how low an average ANN rating Blue Gender gets, especially in light of those of us who really like it. Gasaraki as well seems to have a love it or hate it rating. I've seen many people, including myself defend both series.

As of recently I've become engrossed in Speed Grapher, which has gotten some awful feedback. This is my response to the vol. 3 review which was considered weak compared to the other Gonzo titles.

Quote:
Am I the only one here (besides luffy) who absolutely loves this series? Although most of the villains are over the top (no more than Basilisk) I find the themes serious and mature. I for one find the show more interesting in comparison to both Basilisk and Trinity Blood and much better than the awful Desert Punk.

The artwork really works for me, and while it's ultra 2D style (which is taken to the extreme in the cardboard foldout) is different from other Gonzo shows, I find it unique and attractive. I understand if it's not everyones cup of tea, but I'm glad that Gonzo is experimenting with shows like this and Gankutsuou.

The series themes resonate with me. Saiga's best photo is being used in a way he never wanted it. He can no longer do the only thing that he was good at. A girl who seems to have everything really has nothing. Saiga is one of the best protagonists and I sum it up in the quote "money has no power over this man" which I believe is his real super power. If anything the show is a bit heavy handed in it's preachiness, but is definitely not another pointless series.

I haven't watched the dub yet, but I really have been enjoying the Japanese track since the series is somewhat of a road trip around Japan.

I understand and will agree that the bad guy of the week (or two weeks) format is counterproductive to both the plot and seriousness of the series, but don't agree with most of the other criticisms of the series. With the completion of FMA and Gankutusuou this is my favorite R1 series currently being released with Eureka 7 and Fantastic Children close behind.

I really believe that Speed Grapher is a mature commentary on society, and find it's unique artstyle appropriate for the series.

I'm also really enjoying Geneshaft which I missed on it's initial release because of lukewarm reviews. I've really enjoyed it so far, and it reminds me of Starship Operators, yet another unpopular series which I enjoyed. It almost seems to me that non-mecha SF series tend to rate lower in the anime community, except for the amazing Crest/Banner of the Stars series. Maybe it's because these series tend to be slower paced then their mecha based cousins.
beezis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I would have to pick the series Futakoi Alternative as a series that I enjoyed but doesn't have the greatest reviews. It's fun and random and the characters drew me in even with a weak plot and a very misleading intro and first episode.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116_v2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:04 am Reply with quote
beezis wrote:
Hmm, I would have to pick the series Futakoi Alternative as a series that I enjoyed but doesn't have the greatest reviews. It's fun and random and the characters drew me in even with a weak plot and a very misleading intro and first episode.
I wonder if Futakoi Alternative gets any "ratings interference" from people's perception of the first Futakoi series, which lived up to the lukewarm reviews that I'd read for it.
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I've really enjoyed [Geneshaft] so far, and it reminds me of Starship Operators, yet another unpopular series which I enjoyed.
I found Starship Operators to be underrated as well--like the reviews say, it's not that great at the beginning ("Har har, we're Kids In Spacetm fighting teh Eval Power, and look, we've got lots of girls to boost teh ratings!"), but the end really shows a superb noble spirit in its characters, and is an excellent conclusion for a 13-episode series, even though there's a lot left to be told.

Others:

DN Angel: Reviews said, "This one's for the fangirls," and while they're partly correct on that, I found lots of Laughing and Crying or Very sad moments, as well as good fantasy and rather cute romance. Plus, the ending was pretty satisfying despite the differences from the manga, though it seems I tend to like "unpopular" endings *cough*my-Hime*cough*

Someday's Dreamers: The review on this site trashed it and said it was boring and pointless, but better judgement of my own tastes prevailed, and I found SD to be a sweet, touching slife series with lovely art and a new meaning of "magical realism."

DearS: It's predictable that a show like DearS would get bad reviews. But, I was in enough of a "lonely fanboy" mode when I saw it that I appreciated Ren's h0Ttnes$ and the etchi humor throughout, and somewhat forgave it on the clichés, overdone sentimentality (the question, "Why can't anime characters have living parents?" crossed my mind several times), and ripoffs of Chobits, AMG, and probably other anime.

This Ugly yet Beautiful World: Reviews from people who'd seen it in fansubs weren't good, but the reviews here convinced me to watch and buy the series. I guess it's a matter of knowing a reviewer and respecting their tastes/opinions--the fan reviews were nitpicky on a lot of things that I thought made good sense, and just simply weren't on the same wavelength as me. (Then again, who is, eh? Wink)
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
There's only one series that really falls under that category for me;

Devilman Lady - most of the reviews I had read for this series seemed to rate it as a crappy attempt to rake in more money off the original Devilman licence; 'a poor rehash, with too much angst, not enough gore' was how one reviewer put it. I avoided this title for ages, until I found the complete boxset on sale for less than US$30 when I was vacationing in the US a couple of years ago. Within the first few episodes I was hooked, & whilst it wasn't a typical Devilman production (I am a Nagai fan), I soon relealised it was something better, a horror series by Hirano (of Iczer-1 & Vampire Princess Miyu fame). I enjoyed this series a great deal; the main character's attempts to understand the beast within herself is very well played out IMO, as is her struggle to conceal the monster from those closest to her. My only complaint about this show is the ending, which feels rushed with the addition of a plot point that seemed to be fabricated out of thin air, spoiler[Lan Asuka's Orchid gene, hmm. And I hate futanari too. Shocked ]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Well there's a few titles I like I know got bad reviews. Many have been mentioned but oh well.

Ikki Tousen--- Everyone trashes this as nothing but boobs and ass. While yes that does take up a big part, Kanu is sooo hot, there actually is a good story behind it all. The manga really delves deeper into that. The animation was very crisp and well done as far as I'm concerned. If they had made the show longer it might;ve done better. I heard word of a season 2 being done in Japan now. So hopefully there will be a season 2 and it'll go more into depth with material the manga covers.

Trinity Blood--- So many people here hate this damn show and all because it's cliche'd. Yes, it does borrow heavily from other but so what? It's a FUN show that should be viewed just for fun. Much like Ikki Tousen. The scenery and locations are gorgeous in the show. I also happen to like the voice acting despite what everyone else says.

Street Fighter 2V (tv)--- Most people say the actually animated movie is the hands down best animated Street Fighter incarnation out there. Yes it's good, I love it, but no one gives the tv series by Manga any credit. It took an entirely different approach to the show and I think it was good. spoiler[They had Ryu and Ken learn their powers instead of simply being able to use them. I think that was a great idea that set it apart from every other form of the franchise. They also made Ken less of a whiny surfer boy.]

Two shows that don't get much publicity here, good or bad, that should are Tsukihime' and Reqiuem from the Darkness. Both had VERY good plots and stories but not many people talk about them. Very good over looked shows. I also have heard little word about the upcoming show Solty Rei. I saw a preview and it looks pretty good. Hope it turns out to actually be good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4