• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Previews Robot Girls Z Anime in New Promo Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I just hope that the girls aren't the GIGANTIC pricks they were in the original promo. Man, I was rooting for the "bad guys" who stole food because they were hungry and were savagely beaten.

Edit: saw the promo. I'll be rooting for the bad guys. I fact, I don't think I can watch this. I don't know why Japan finds this stuff funny. Why is it amusing to beat the shit out of someone? They didn't exactly play it for laughs in the original promo, since the bad guys were begging for mercy, and were visibly hurt and in pain. How is that funny?

It's funny because it's a juxtaposition - the alleged "heroes" are actually total jerks, and the villains are incredibly sympathetic. Anime has a lot of this kind of humor. A very clear (but much older) example is Akahori Gedo Hour Rabuge, a split show starring reprehensible costumed "heroes" and the daughters of a pair of villainous minions who aspire to evil, but were just to sweet of girls to ever hurt anybody.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
It looks like a fun show that doesn't take itself too seriously. More imaginative actually than if Mazinger Z were simply rebooted with its dated design. I also think yes, the "bad guys/girls" are designed to be sympathetic.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Errrr...they did just reboot Mazinger Z
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Errrr...they did just reboot Mazinger Z

And it was awesome.

This...no moe version of Dr. Hell?
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
Is it my imagination but are the images for Z-chan and Grenda-chan the same?

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
Is it my imagination but are the images for Z-chan and Grenda-chan the same?

Widya Santoso

Yeah, thats wrong. Its Grenda both times.
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:27 am Reply with quote
are they promoting classic Toei robot shows or moe shows with this? Laughing
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
Well, i see it what it is. A Parody of the old giant robot genera i grew up with. That how I see it.

Fan Service has been around for a long time, older fans have noticed a big shift to almost mindless Fan Service verse a smart story winks at the viewer once in awhile.

I rather see balance approach, but i don't have any say with people producing these shows. Anyways, their targeting the audience that will sustain them verses dwendling fan base isn't growing. One those things which not everyone going to be happy.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
TOEI is doing what Sunrise did with Gundam Build Fighters.
Get the new kids (kids not adults) into the game, and then sell them later on any kind of "nostalgic" mechandise. Hey it is working with Gundam so why not with super robots of yesteryear ? Very Happy
It should turn out an ok show (with hopefully lots of references and injokes to those series).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
TOEI is doing what Sunrise did with Gundam Build Fighters.
Get the new kids (kids not adults) into the game, and then sell them later on any kind of "nostalgic" mechandise. Hey it is working with Gundam so why not with super robots of yesteryear ? Very Happy
It should turn out an ok show (with hopefully lots of references and injokes to those series).

No, this is not aimed at kids (unlike Build Fighters, which is)
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Everybody knows little kids love panty shots.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
Everybody knows little kids love panty shots.

You haven't watched much "ancient anime" did you ? Razz
A panty shot once in a while is like a good glass of wine. You enjoy it and it won't kill you.
The moment the series steps into ecchi, heavy fanservice and ONLY panty shots and camel toes then that's a problem. Otherwise I stand by my assessment, this serie is aimed at kids (boys and girls) no more no less.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Otherwise I stand by my assessment, this serie is aimed at kids (boys and girls) no more no less.

Well your stand is wrong.

I don't know what else to say, since you apparently have come to this conclusion based on no actual knowledge of how the show is being handled.

So sure, go ahead, believe that all you want.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I don't know what else to say, since you apparently have come to this conclusion based on no actual knowledge of how the show is being handled.

What proof do you have that my stand is wrong, and that this series is aimed at basement dwelling male otakus or fujoshis? I'm curious.
Is it because of the girls fighting ? Is it because it will be broadcast during late night ? Or what ? I'd like to hear your reasons.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

What proof do you have that my stand is wrong, and that this series is aimed at basement dwelling male otakus or fujoshis? I'm curious.
Is it because of the girls fighting ? Is it because it will be broadcast during late night ? Or what ? I'd like to hear your reasons.

The fact that its a 10 episode short anime streaming exclusively on Toei Channel, and its based on webcomic located in the same place that has been aimed pretty squarely at otaku/nostalgia fans.

I know, actually looking at how a thing is marketed and presented is such a goddamn challenge.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3