• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lucky ☆ Star!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMAN2501

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
lady_youko wrote:
I saw this at our anime club's year end marathon and was not impressed. Coupla days later one of my friends sends me the youtube video of the OP.
Can you say instant crack?

Actually check out youtube now. The opening is one of the top 10 most viewed videos on the site, has been for the past 2 weeks now on and off. So yes, Instant crack....for the masses!!

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
My biggest dislike about the series is how disconnected it seems. One joke finishes, and then scene changes and its a new joke. I don't feel like I'm watch a show, I feel like I'm watching an animated version of the sunday comics.

Well, the series is based on a elongated comic strip, so it basically is the sunday funnies. However the series lacks one thing that the comic strip has...some amount of humor. The first few episodes are definatly lacking. They go for a shotgun comedy approch, but end up shooting blanks. The series could redeem itself, and the fact that the design of the show is open ended they could run with it for years if they wanted to. However, first they need to make it funny to make it successful.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 still didn't manage to make me laugh at all (spoiler["CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" which I wasn't expecting to hear almost made me laugh though]), but I will say it felt way cleaner than all the other episodes. The transitions were all much more smooth and I actually found myself interested a few times throughout the episode. I'll probably continue watching it now because while it still isn't very funny, it's at least interesting now and much easier to follow.
JasonSolaris

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Nom_Anor wrote:
Huh? I don't believe that KyoAni made Shuffle! or Welcome to the NHK,

They didn't, but all those references (as well as Sgt. Frog) are published by Kadokawa Publishing, who also publishes Lucky Star.

I don't know anything about Shuffle! or Welcome to the NHK, so I missed those references.. But I caught the Fummofu and Haruhi ones..

I was wondering how these reference can be used in Japan.. I assume mentioning the reference is ok, but display some likeness and using small clips of music (especially with Haruhi), can they get away with that?

I wonder if it would be a problem licencing as R1, as there are several company owning difference licences..
Later
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I find it fascinating that people post how they don't like the show, but they keep on watching it. Why? Life's too short.

I still think this is a misunderstood show-- I don't think it has ever meant to be a "laugh-out-loud-and-slap-your-knee" funny kind of show. I really think it has more in common with Yokohama Shopping Log than with a host of comedies-- it's mellow, it's about the details, and the tidbits of conversations that seem "real" and unedited. It's essentially a show about following around a few quirky teenage girls as they ruminate on the odd details of life-- food, roleplaying games, how you spend evenings, the oddities of the mechanics of procrastination. It makes me smirk, and nod my head in agreement, and occasionally chuckle. It doesn't really make me laugh-- but I haven't expected it to. It's not that type of show.

People who are complaining that it's not "funny" enough seem to be expecting something from it that it's not really offering-- laugh out loud type of comic situations. If you want slapstick, go watch Golden Boy, if you want situational comedy built around ongoing dynamics of a relationship, you should go watch a show that does that too, if you want mecha go watch Eva. But if you want a cute, mellow show with practically a "photo realistic" style of dialogue that drifts from subject to random subject, picking apart the minds of its characters by showing us all the "inbetween" moments that make up the majority of our lives rather than the hardcore drama, and that has some pithy chuckle worthy moments too, then you should be watching Lucky Star, imo, because that's what it's doing well. Not the other things.

Watching it for the other things doesn't make sense. It's not what it's offering.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what all the Lucky Star hate is about, but I personally found a lot of it to be even "laugh-out-loud" funny. I suppose it has something to do with it being a rather specialized show, and it's not universal to be sure, but there are some moments where I have laughed out loud due to perhaps my own personal experiences. Another problem with the show that people going into it seem to be having is their general expectations of the show at first glance. I didn't expect it to be laugh-out-loud funny, and I went in thinking I was going to get a bit of a chuckle now and again with a general air of pleasantness. Of course, this did happen for the first few episodes, and I won't lie about the first episode sort of missing the target for me in the beginning. Still, the show does seem to maintain that air that keeps you watching, and the show later redeemed itself as actually quite funny. I am slightly enamored by homage in any capacity, however, so I may not be a good guide for the shows humor. Even so, I do think that a lot of the references really are funny, and the situation itself just goes great with the under-toned humor that the show expresses.

I think my only peeve with the show is the same thing some people have mentioned above; that is, the slightly disjointed humor even when it is quite funny. It does feel like a comic strip, which is perfectly fine in my opinion if done right. However, there does seem to be a bit of a jerk from one scene to the next, and a lot of times the humor is cut way too short when a hanging scene could make it so much better. For instance, in the last episode a funny part involving the festival was sadly truncated by a scene transition that was just plain bad. The joke had barely been delivered when the scene was abruptly ended, when the joke would have been pretty funny (awkward pun and all) with a bit of hang time. It seems to be getting better, but it could still use improvement.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough re: timing-- it's a specific taste. It's a bit abrupt, but I just run with it. I find it a bit odd, but it hasn't really been cutting in to my enjoyment of the show. Still, your statement regarding "hang time" for a joke to sink in is well put.

As for my own taste-- I'm one of those crazies that loved the first ten minutes of the first ep. Was it terribly funny? No. But I found it interesting, and very true to life, which made it entertaining. I know that some people find these sorts of conversations boring, as there is absolutely no plot drive to them-- but I find them revealing and amusing-- I feel like they're more reflective of situations and conversations I've actually been in. I'm not saying all dialogue needs to be that way, but when it occurs, I enjoy it. But then, I also like the oddball ramblings in Tarantino flicks, and absolutely love the dialogue in Linklater's artsy films (like Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, or Tape)-- both of which many people find to be an acquired taste. And as before, I love YKK, and most people find that a terrible bore. To me, that sort of feeling and viewing experience is what I like about Lucky Star-- perhaps others like other things.

Perhaps the real issue is that Lukcy Star feels like it's packaged as a slapsticky, screwball comedy, in some ways-- particularly with the opening song being the way it is-- and yet, I don't really find it to be that at all. It feels much more quirky to me-- a niche title, in the vein of Aria or YKK, just with more humor. Somehow the feeling that it's "the next big thing" in anime comedy is the real issue. I feel like people would be judging it differently if it were seen as just some quirky, dialgoue-heavy, pseudo comedy for a small market.

As for the humor-- I do find it funny as well, don't get me wrong. It's just not the central reason I'm watching the show.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
I find it fascinating that people post how they don't like the show, but they keep on watching it. Why? Life's too short.

I actually have multiple reasons. One, I actually want to like the show. Two, I think the characters are cute as hell and love the character designs themselves. Three, Akira. Four, I find all the many otaku/gaming/anime references to be amusing (not funny, but amusing). Five, there is nothing else good on this season.

Quote:
People who are complaining that it's not "funny" enough seem to be expecting something from it that it's not really offering-- laugh out loud type of comic situations.

From the previews, opening, and artwork, the show makes itself out to be a comedy. The show itself even seems like it is trying to be funny. Maybe that's not what they're going for (I actually don't know what the show is trying to be because it doesn't make it clear at all), but I can see people's reasons for complaining about that, because it makes itself out to be a different type of show from what it is.

Quote:
Perhaps the real issue is that Lukcy Star feels like it's packaged as a slapsticky, screwball comedy, in some ways-- particularly with the opening song being the way it is-- and yet, I don't really find it to be that at all.

Exactly, I agree with this completely.

Quote:
It feels much more quirky to me-- a niche title, in the vein of Aria or YKK, just with more humor. Somehow the feeling that it's "the next big thing" in anime comedy is the real issue. I feel like people would be judging it differently if it were seen as just some quirky, dialgoue-heavy, pseudo comedy for a small market.

Maybe, it honestly didn't seem like YKK or Aria to me (and I think YKK is beautiful and like what I've seen of Aria). When I watch YKK or something, I feel I could just lay down, relax, and drift into nowhere while watching it. But I can't really imagine myself doing the same thing with Lucky Star... Eh, I don't know...
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Hey look what I found~! Lucky Kanon :3

ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Sayuro would have been a lot better instead of Mai. Mai smiling like that scares me. Also, there is no love for Makoto at all.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
^
Lucky Star exists in many forms.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
^

That's an overload of references Anime dazed, I even saw my yet to be popular avatar in there which I'm not really expecting will show up Razz

Aside from that... episode 5 was really funny for me... why??? I've played pRO (Philippine Ragnarok) for over 5 years, and Konata is showing what most of the common MMORPG player do with their life Razz, I've graduated from pRO though, but sometimes, I come back to kill time and for some chat with newbies and familiar players. Oh... the memories of, staying up very, very late to play but just stay inside a PK room and look cool (or gather a party to kill everyone in the room) even though there's school. Even the feelings of getting a rare item was portrayed, but for me, I would be shouting inside my own room first then boast about it to my guild mates :3
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
dgreater1 wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
^

That's an overload of references Anime dazed, I even saw my yet to be popular avatar in there which I'm not really expecting will show up Razz

Aside from that... episode 5 was really funny for me... why??? I've played pRO (Philippine Ragnarok) for over 5 years, and Konata is showing what most of the common MMORPG player do with their life Razz, I've graduated from pRO though, but sometimes, I come back to kill time and for some chat with newbies and familiar players. Oh... the memories of, staying up very, very late to play but just stay inside a PK room and look cool (or gather a party to kill everyone in the room) even though there's school. Even the feelings of getting a rare item was portrayed, but for me, I would be shouting inside my own room first then boast about it to my guild mates :3

YA~! The same thing for me in Maple Story, that satisfaction you get when you level up after spending hours doing quests and parties. Also the more important, RARE ITEMS you get after killing a lot of monsters and then selling it after to get a lot of money. It just feels good to feel rich in another world besides in reality where money is hard to get. Where everything is just too hard and you can’t level up corporate ladder just by killing monsters, you have to go through extensive training that bores the heck out of you then years of patients. Also in MMORPG’s you can feel more superior than other some people, also meet some friends. The feeling of having an identity that know one else has. And after a long day of spending time on the computer hardly moving, except going to the washroom and eating, you can go to bed more easily knowing that you at least achieve something that day. Ya…that’s the life…
but as in real life, this problem is really irritating, “DYING = BAD.”
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
That episode brought back so many fond memories of my old MMORPG days (FFXI was my game of choice). I was also totally cracking up at the emoticons and 1337-speak being used during Konata's MMO chat. It's a shame, as Akira said, only half the audience will get it. ^_^
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
Indeed, when the translator translated some of that as stuff like:

"all-nighter for sure lololo
I'm feeling it tonight roflcopterskates
bbq"

Oh man, that was a genuine laugh out loud moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I LOL'd at episode 6! Laughing

spoiler[THAT is how you do an Initial D parody! They pretty much nailed every main aspect of the series, and it probably cost quite of bit of their budget.

Man, the teacher sucks at directions. No thanks to Konota though!

DAMN, Miyuki has a nice body! Embarassed

Though Konota's swimsuit....ummm well it reinforces the fact she's freakin' small!

Yeah, shooting the watermelon does seem wasteful and messy. Of course "those guys" learned it the hard way when "he" did it. Wink

Has anyone payed close attention to Miyuki in the bath house scene? Now you know why you get damaged hair after your fun time in the ocean. Surprised

Speaking of bath houses, it also reinforces the fact that Konota's hair is viciously long!

Hmmm, were Kagami and Tsukasa talking about that "time of month" which would suck especially if you go to the beach?

That was a pretty trippy sequence of Tsukasa imagining being underwater once she put that shell up into her ear. And it ended in a rather....yeah! Laughing

Lucky Channel was very amusing this time especially when Akari beats up Minoru, shows the finger, and sort of bashes the state of the otaku of today.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 31