• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim, Cartoon Network Are #1 in Quarterly Rankings for Key Demographics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Considering where anime on Adult Swim was before the Toonami reboot, this is a huge turnaround.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, I for one am completely convinced that these ratings mean nothing. Much like Space Dandy's apparent popularity, they are simply inaccurate and meaningless. Let me tell you why:

-Firstly, at that time of night Space Dandy lacks competition. There's nothing else to even watch so of course people watch it. [I have internalized my entertainment due to a lack of an actual personality]

-And even if it did have competition, it's not like this is primetime anyway so it means nothing. It's just a big fish in a small pond. [I am also a profoundly insecure person]

-Besides, this show is just all hype anyway. [Consequently, I interpret the popularity of things I like/dislike as reflective of my worth as a human being]

-Nobody would even be paying any attention to it if not for its famous director and people who like it only do because its different. [Thus, my fragile psyche simply can't handle that anyone might genuinely like a thing I don't]

-And who cares anyway? Even if it did do okay in America it's going to fail in Japan and that's what really matters. [I've also massively internalized Japan as a surrogate culture because I don't fit in with my own]

-Anime ultimately succeeds because of the support of the real fans in Japan. [And am therefore reflexively against anything I perceive as more "American"]

-Really, I don't know why Japan should even bother making shows like Space Dandy that cater to other audiences. [Or really anything that doesn't cater to the tiny, insular niche of neurotic, emotionally stunted people I am a part of]

-Also, did I mention how much of a failure Flowers of Evil was? That has no real relevance here. I just still like to bring it up periodically to make sure nobody has forgotten. [So basically, the entire industry, without exception, must be geared toward me and only me or I get mad]

Anyway, I hope that clears up some of these misconceptions about Space Dandy's success. [I will talk about this at length and in every topic pertaining to this show and have been since it was announced]
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
What exactly was the point of that strawman filled post?
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
If they are doing so well in with males 18 - 34, and at late nite, why do they insist on censoring? The advertisers won't be affected due to the demographics.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

Well, I generally just like mocking you guys and making jokes. But I guess if you're looking for a specific point it would be to point out how predictable you guys are.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Well, I generally just like mocking you guys and making jokes. But I guess if you're looking for a specific point it would be to point out how predictable you guys are.
So your just a sad troll? i mean after reading your post all i got is that you must have nothing to do Laughing
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
If they are doing so well in with males 18 - 34, and at late nite, why do they insist on censoring? The advertisers won't be affected due to the demographics.

Censoring what, exactly? [as] is one of the least censored cable networks I've seen. Have you even seen their airing of Black Lagoon?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
It was a good post chicken. Why anime fans have to hate things that are western or western appealing I don't know.

Too bad that one dud isn't here to remind us that Space Dandy is a failure because something something Japanese otaku.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ruremi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Last week the actual numbers were

11:30PM Space Dandy 1.211 million viewers
12:00AM Bleach 1.291 million viewers
12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 1.193 million viewers
1:00AM One Piece 968,000 viewers
1:30AM Blue Exorcist 870,000 viewers
2:00AM Black Lagoon 876,000 viewers
2:30AM Naruto 785,000 viewers
3:00AM Ghost in the Shell 626,000 viewers
3:30AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 603,000 viewers

Thats generally how it looks every week: shows up front get better ratings and shows late at night get lower as viewers go sleepy time. Laughing And yeah I'm not sure how much glory there is at being #1 at 3 in morning when your competition is reruns and infomercials. Not like it's primetime where you get bragging rights.

Thank you for the list. It looks like One Piece has only lost 27 viewers at the same time slot, while Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood gained more being aired 30 mins earlier than it did when One Piece premiered again. That isn't too bad, though
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
It was a good post chicken. Why anime fans have to hate things that are western or western appealing I don't know.

Too bad that one dud isn't here to remind us that Space Dandy is a failure because something something Japanese otaku.

If Space Dandy is appealing to Westerners then I am the most European-looking Easterner the world has ever known as Space Dandy does not appeal to me in the slightest.

Space Dandy serves as an answer to the unasked question: What would Excel Saga have been like without Nabeshin? The answer being, as far as I'm concerned, extremely lackluster.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
configspace wrote:

Censoring what, exactly? [as] is one of the least censored cable networks I've seen. Have you even seen their airing of Black Lagoon?

[as] censors f-bombs and breasts/crotch (only if they were bared in detail).
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

If Space Dandy is appealing to Westerners then I am the most European-looking Easterner the world has ever known as Space Dandy does not appeal to me in the slightest.
You're either someone who has been living under a rock or just oblivious. Nothing I said was controversial.

Well for one, you don't speak for anyone but yourself. Since you don't I'm not sure why you had to make a post about how "special" you are. Surly you've been around this forum to understand anime fandom politics? And how this show has been pushed by anime fans?

There's no doubt that in visuals and subject matter Space Dany is appealing to western fans or that stereotypical western fan who hates moe and whatever. The one who cries for a return of good anime like Bebop on so on. Who is in constant argument with those who are fine with the satus quo of anime and dislike Space Dandy as it's been called the savior of anime.

That's an exaggeration, but no doubt something close to that talk has come up in every thread regarding this show.

I'm also confused as to how you don't see how Space Dandy is more in line with the western anime fan. it's basically been seen as that, so much so that it's detractors claimed it wouldn't sell to otaku. These are all stereotypical views, but the point is Space Dandy seems to insight much argument and agendas on forums such as ann.

That said I don't like the show.

Quote:
Space Dandy serves as an answer to the unasked question: What would Excel Saga have been like without Nabeshin? The answer being, as far as I'm concerned, extremely lackluster.
Seeing as how I also found Excel Saga tired and unfunny after the first 5 episodes and could never watch it again, I'm not sure I'd hold Nabeshin up to some great height. At least Space Dandy has some nice visuals going on.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I was about to ask the same thing. Some people don't have anything better to do than offer "intellectual" defenses for why they don't like things, and to try and make people feel bad for liking them. Go figure.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
still hate Dandy, and I still think the real lack of competition is what's driving these numbers

There was no more competition in the same time slot when the rating was between 2% and 17% lower. Using a static factor to explain away growth suggests that you are arguing back from your conclusion in search of supporting evidence, instead of starting at the evidence and seeing what conclusions it leads to.

It would seem that the point is to suggest that each and every one of those arguments are strawmen arguments.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

You're either someone who has been living under a rock or just oblivious. Nothing I said was controversial.

Who said that it was controversial? BTW, aren't "living under a rock" and "oblivious" the same thing?
Rahxephon91 wrote:

There's no doubt that in visuals and subject matter Space Dany is appealing to western fans or that stereotypical western fan who hates moe and whatever.

There is, as I am the Western fan who is tired of moe and nothing about Space Dandy appeals to me. If the mission of Space Dandy was what you purport it to be then the show clearly missed the mark...or I'm, again, an Easterner who looks very European and has lived in the West for his whole life.
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Seeing as how I also found Excel Saga tired and unfunny after the first 5 episodes and could never watch it again, I'm not sure I'd hold Nabeshin up to some great height. At least Space Dandy has some nice visuals going on.

I disagree about the visuals in Space Dandy as they struck me as a cheap imitation of Gainax's stuff or Excel Saga. Excel Saga was worlds above Space Dandy; Dandy is a hybrid of Bebop and Excel Saga that isn't as good as either.

BTW, if you didn't watch Excel Saga dubbed then you didn't watch Excel Saga and I can understand, to an extent, your disdain for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5