• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure Anime Returns Next Spring in High School Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris McFeely

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
Lotta folks saying that Adventure being a show-within-a-show for Tamers was a dub invention. Now, I've not watched Tamers subbed, but I assume that means they just don't mention it in-dialogue, so fair enough. It was, however, always part of the planning stages of the show - Konaka noted on his website that the characters of Adventure and 02 would be the "heroes" of the Tamers kids, but that he didn't want to take away from the new show by focusing on the show-within-a-show idea, at least early on, and contemplated the idea of the old kids turning up in the second half.

Xros Wars confirmed that Adventure was a show-within-a-show in Tamers when it had Takato and the other goggle boys appear - he understood that Tai and Davis were from different points in the same timeline (because he had watched their show) and geeked out about getting to fight alongside them.

(also Taiora = OTP 4eva Sorato dr00ls)
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
I've tried re-watching Saban's Digimon dub recently, and I simply can't get past the first few episodes. They cram lame jokes into every line of dialogue they can get away with. It drives me nuts! I can enjoy 4Kid's dub of Pokemon just fine, but when it comes to Digimon, I'll need a sub release to watch the show again.

The corn is spread pretty thick throughout the early episodes, but it starts to let up as the series enters the Etemon arc. I have a soft spot for it due to nostalgia, but in fairness it really relents on trying to make jokes as the series progresses and the stakes rise, especially once the Myotismon arc kicks into high gear. I'd understand someone wanting to watch the sub of any anime, but I'd say one of the biggest reasons Saban's dub is still held up is because its the first time an anime with a serial narrative was brought to America, shown on Saturday morning TV and kept the lion's share of its darker elements and moments intact. It startled me in my late adulthood how much respect it treated its viewers as I'm sure it did many other kids.

kevinx59 wrote:
I'm not really a fan of Digimon (preferred Pokemon, not to start a conflict) but this forum is pretty surprising. Did the show really focus on romance that much? I mean in a thread about Digimon I was expecting people to mainly be talking about, well, the Digimon themselves. I've never seen the original (I've only seen xros/fusion) so I don't really know anything about it. Its not bad, it's just I didn't expect people's comments to focus a lot on the couples. Anyways I may check this out, provided it can also be watched standalone.

Not to start a conflict either, but that would be because Digimon focused about 10x more on the relationships between characters than Pokemon ever did or ever will. Digimon was not a cut-and-dry formula like Pokemon. The kids were not collecting monsters to battle; they only had one that was the equivalent of what Pikachu is to Ash, a best friend and ally who will stay be their side until the world comes crashing down and beyond. What's more is that unlike Pokemon, the kids did not choose this adventure and therefore must band together, complete strangers they are, and work together to figure out how to save this world and later their own. They are compelled by their situations to communicate with one another, learn each other's strengths and weaknesses and band together to fight seemingly unstoppable enemies. Because these characters interact and empathize with one another, it's incredibly easy to ship potential couples. Especially as they are kids, its fun because as the series progresses, you hope you'll get to see if your ship sinks or sails.

Not to say Pokemon isn't enjoyable in it's own right, but its episodic nature and the focus being more on the Pokemon of the day and if Ash can win his battle does not leave a great deal of time for him to contemplate or explore these elements like Digimon does.
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Chris McFeely wrote:
Lotta folks saying that Adventure being a show-within-a-show for Tamers was a dub invention. Now, I've not watched Tamers subbed, but I assume that means they just don't mention it in-dialogue, so fair enough. It was, however, always part of the planning stages of the show - Konaka noted on his website that the characters of Adventure and 02 would be the "heroes" of the Tamers kids, but that he didn't want to take away from the new show by focusing on the show-within-a-show idea, at least early on, and contemplated the idea of the old kids turning up in the second half.

Incorrect. The old kids would have been mentors but it had nothing to do with a TV show. They would just be known heroes who saved the world.

Kevinx59 wrote:
Did the show really focus on romance that much?

No, but this is the internet. People care more about fictional romance lives of cartoon characters more than the actual story of the show itself. The romance was just a small scene in a single episode, and given how it was heavily altered in the dub, people who only watch the dub have a vastly different and incorrect take on the whole situation than others.

It's the main reason I detest kid dubs, it spreads so much misinformation and ignorance around like the "TV show in a TV show" thing and the "NTR" thing. Frankly, if someone hasn't seen the original sub they probably shouldn't be commenting on these issues.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
I'm so hyped woo Smile. I remember when I first saw Adventure on TV as a 9 year old in 1999.

I'll probably watch the sub first, then re-watch the show whenever the dub gets released.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Regarding all the shipping talk, it's a simply a matter of the human characters being infinitely more interesting than what you typically get in something like Pokémon.

Basically, Pokémon is CSI or NCIS, while Digimon is... House, or Fringe, where getting involved in the characters is actually relevant to the show.
Chris McFeely

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
Incorrect. The old kids would have been mentors but it had nothing to do with a TV show. They would just be known heroes who saved the world.

Konaka's planning notes make the point that even at that early stage that Tamers is a separate "reality" to 01/02, so they weren't planning to be heroes that co-existed with the Tamers. Further, he mentions that a potential appearance by the 01/02 kids within the Tamers series could be used to stress the concept of the season of fiction becoming reality. Further to that, he published a timeline of the Tamers world on his website, incorporating key real-world events that impacted on the story, and included in that timeline the broadcast of 01 and 02.

And as noted, I point at Xros Wars, which made it clear Takato was a fan of Tai and Davis.

My point, though, is not that this was an immutable fact in the Japanese version of the show. I KNOW it didn't come up in it. And if nothing had ever mentioned it again, it'd be waved away as something that didn't make into the finalized Tamers storyline. I'm just pointing out that it was not some whole-cloth invention of the dub, but rather something that took its cue from early planning for the show, and something that later Japanese media has officialized.

Last edited by Chris McFeely on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
They better retcon the ending to adventure 02 or GTFO. If Tai and Sora aren't together by the end of the series I will riot.
Trilby1992

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
I'm not really a fan of Digimon (preferred Pokemon, not to start a conflict) but this forum is pretty surprising. Did the show really focus on romance that much? I mean in a thread about Digimon I was expecting people to mainly be talking about, well, the Digimon themselves. I've never seen the original (I've only seen xros/fusion) so I don't really know anything about it. Its not bad, it's just I didn't expect people's comments to focus a lot on the couples. Anyways I may check this out, provided it can also be watched standalone.

I don't know about the others on here, but I used to catch it on TV everyday for TK and Kari. They were cute together. Razz
SolidSnake1111

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
Kevinx59 wrote:

No, but this is the internet. People care more about fictional romance lives of cartoon characters more than the actual story of the show itself. The romance was just a small scene in a single episode, and given how it was heavily altered in the dub, people who only watch the dub have a vastly different and incorrect take on the whole situation than others.

It's the main reason I detest kid dubs, it spreads so much misinformation and ignorance around like the "TV show in a TV show" thing and the "NTR" thing. Frankly, if someone hasn't seen the original sub they probably shouldn't be commenting on these issues.

+1.

Crystal wrote:
kevinx59 wrote:

No, it really doesn't focus on romance that much. Anime hyper A few characters have crushes, but I think that a vocal chunk of its fan base is really into it. I was talking about how I don't think this upcoming show should cater to shippers.

The good thing is it won't cater to shippers because Toei Animation aren't fanfic writers. The show will have Sorato and Kenyako in the background, as romance in Digimon should remain, and anti-fans of those two pairings will still fume about it after the new series has ended.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I really hope the show doesn't retcon 02 like some are hoping. I don't like the idea of Daisuke, Miyako, Iori and Ken no longer existing.

SolidSnake1111 wrote:
The good thing is it won't cater to shippers because Toei Animation aren't fanfic writers. The show will have Sorato and Kenyako in the background, as romance in Digimon should remain, and anti-fans of those two pairings will still fume about it after the new series has ended.

I think more people might get mad if they retconned it than if they went with what they have. If they catered to what shippers wanted, people would probably hate that too (think reactions to Korra).

While I'd love for this upcoming show to develop/flesh out their characters a bit, I'm sure this show will focus on Digimon creatures as well. Anime hyper
SolidSnake1111

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
SolidSnake1111 wrote:

I think more people might get mad if they retconned it than if they went with what they have. If they catered to what shippers wanted, people would probably hate that too (think reactions to Korra).

While I'd love for this upcoming show to develop/flesh out their characters a bit, I'm sure this show will focus on Digimon creatures as well. Anime hyper

Yeah, angry shippers are just more vocal, but if a retcon actually did happen those who dislike retcons in any canonverse (and there are many) will be super pissed. A retcon is always the last resort of any show and I really can't see Toei Animation retconning the epilogue just because of internet shipping wars. For other reasons, sure, except there are no good reasons for a retcon of the epilogue. Shipping isn't a good reason.

I hope Daisuke and the others are still in the new show as well. I would like all 12 to be given equal airtime, but since it's such a large cast, that might not happen.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Regarding all the shipping talk, it's a simply a matter of the human characters being infinitely more interesting than what you typically get in something like Pokémon.

Basically, Pokémon is CSI or NCIS, while Digimon is... House, or Fringe, where getting involved in the characters is actually relevant to the show.

Pokemon has a stupidly large shipping community. It has nothing to do with "deep characters". Even shows like Adventure Time and the most rudimentary Nickelodeon/CN shows have tons of rabid shippers.

And really there's more shipping in the current series of Pokemon than the entirety of Digimon's franchise. Every episode they constantly remind us how much Serena is lusting after Satoshi's pocket monster
Geninja

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
SolidSnake1111 wrote:
iloveturkey wrote:
Kevinx59 wrote:

+1.

Crystal wrote:
kevinx59 wrote:

No, it really doesn't focus on romance that much. Anime hyper A few characters have crushes, but I think that a vocal chunk of its fan base is really into it. I was talking about how I don't think this upcoming show should cater to shippers.

How do you know all this stuff, do you have new information? Because from what has been revealed there's no confirmation about any 02 and if there is no 02 then that means the epilogue is being cut and Digimon is getting the FMA Brotherhood treatment.

Besides Takari was an intended couple as well going from interviews by the creator.

We have no idea what they're gonna do with this new series, but I'm sure by the end of 2014 we will no much more.

I hope for many things aside from shipping mainly wanting to see the mega evos of all the original 8. Alas though shipping wise I think that they should get T.K. and Kari together. They had the most development out of all the couples in the uncut version. In the dub they were tied with Taiora.

Crystal wrote:
I really hope the show doesn't retcon 02 like some are hoping. I don't like the idea of Daisuke, Miyako, Iori and Ken no longer existing.

SolidSnake1111 wrote:

I disagree with this. Mainly because like with the Harry Potter epilogue, the Digimon epilogue was widely met with negative reaction. People did not like the epilogue at all. Many people found it cheap, lazy and a way for other people to not revisit the world again. Don't even get me started on those lame and unrealistic career choices for a lot of the kids.

So retconning 02/epilogue could leave them with more room to move around, also sticking to the original 8. Which is the cast we all grew up and fell in love with in the beginning.

Remember it's been 15 years, changes like this are not uncommon in anime series. FMA Brotherhood is a perfect example.

Last edited by Geninja on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:12 am Reply with quote
Geninja wrote:

How do you know all this stuff, do you have new information? Because from what has been revealed there's no confirmation about any 02 and if there is no 02 then that means the epilogue is being cut and Digimon is getting the FMA Brotherhood treatment.

I don't think there is a source, but I'm hoping 02 and its characters won't be retconed.

Geninja wrote:
Besides Takari was an intended couple as well going from interviews by the creator.
. . .
I hope for many things aside from shipping mainly wanting to see the mega evos of all the original 8. Alas though shipping wise I think that they should get T.K. and Kari together. They had the most development out of all the couples in the uncut version. In the dub they were tied with Taiora.

I disagree with this. Mainly because like with the Harry Potter epilogue, the Digimon epilogue was widely met with negative reaction. People did not like the epilogue at all. Many people found it cheap, lazy and a way for other people to not revisit the world again.[/quote]

This person tweeted some questions at Hiroyuki Kakudou (the director), this post links to his tweets (albeit in Japanese, but it's still a more legit source). I think she makes it clear that Kakudou isn't that interested in shipping. Anime hyper

Also that "Takeru and Hikari were supposed to end up together" came from one site with no real source and this post mentions how it's incredibly unlikely that was true.

It could be kinda cheap/lazy to ignore it. And I think MANY would be unhappy with Daisuke & Co. no longer "existing."

I'd be a lot more interested if this upcoming show was more of a "coming of age" thing for Taichi and Co. than it being about shipping.
. . . .
Oh my god.
Taichi, Hikari and the others will be 10 years older than they were when they saw Parrotmon and Greymon. Anime hyper
guyor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
Hi guys, if there is anyone here that know how to, I want to send a letter of my opinion that I wanted Chiaki Konaka to helm the new sequel as the writer.

Anyone here know to where I should write/send?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10