• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isao Takahata & Ghibli's Princess Kaguya Nominated for Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Look, no offense, but How To Train Your Dragon 2 NEEDS to win this oscar.

The invention of the Apollo and PrEmo programs alone should earn this:

http://youtu.be/WXoCYmeaBlo

There are separate Academy awards for technical aspects of movie-making.
MatFH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Takahata would come, since it won't win anyway. Ok, I haven't seen it, and perhaps it's so mind-blowing (and not just "meritorious") that it actually gives the jury good feelings and it wins, but I'm going to expect the award goes to Box Trolls or Big Hero 6. Maybe T. will come for the unique honour of a nomination, but maybe Toshio Suzuki will represent the director once more.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
There is no way Box Trolls is winning the Oscar. Actually I am kind of surprised that got in over the Lego Movie. It's reviews aren't even that great. the rest of the movies nominated at least deserve it.

No Princess Kaguya does have a chance this year

1) It's the highest reviewed critically of the nominees
2) It is possible that the Academy may want to give another award to Studio Ghibli. And this is a better film than the Wind Rises.
3) There is no clear front runner this year. Although I would say Big Hero 6 and How to Train your Dragon 2 are the films to beat. Both are very good movies. Although How to Train Your Dragon technically has another chance since it's a trilogy and Disney just won. Not that this stopped Pixar from winning multiple years in a row.
4) Song of the Sea has a better chance than Box Trolls. I haven't seen it but like Princess Kaguya it's another critically acclaimed "artsy" animated film.

But either way Best Animated film is an interesting race since there is no clear winner this year (even counting HTTYD's Golden Globe win).
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope Mr. Takahata wins this award, it's because of "Spirited Away" that Mr. Miyazaki got all this street cred in the first place. (well at least here in America.) Mr. Takahata is an amazing animator as well and he deserves some street cred as well. I mean come on this is the guy who made Grave of the Fireflies, one of the hardest anime's in history to sit down and watch without crying he deserves street cred in the west for at least that! But nope he never got the appreciation Mr. Miyazaki has here in the states. I'm rooting for you Mr. Takahata! And maybe you'll be so well known Grave of the Fireflies would be shown in every school in America!
twilightmidna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:06 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If Wind Rises lost out I can't see Kaguya doing any better as to me it doesn't come across as that well made in comparison or to me it looks more like storyboarding. Well they have to have something to reject in the list I guess.
Takahata was aiming for a more storyboardy water color look when making Kaguya. I thought the animation was beautiful.
MatFH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
There is no way Box Trolls is winning the Oscar. Actually I am kind of surprised that got in over the Lego Movie. It's reviews aren't even that great. the rest of the movies nominated at least deserve it.

What nonsense. Box Trolls had some excellent reviews, apparently that's what determined my main impression. It also is an excellent, unconventional project, though after I saw it, I found the last third of the story and the villain plot a little too generic. I was expecting something more complex.

"the rest of the movies nominated at least deserve it" is a very strange statement and attitude. How To Train Your Dragon 2 as well as Big Hero 6 are extremely conventional choices. They might "deserve" the award, but they are nothing particularly special (review argument applies at least as well, though I don't need it). Song of the Sea is probably a purely formal inclusion, the director alread didn't win with Secret of Kells, which got similarly well-meaning reviews but just wasn't all that great (apart from some scenes).
I guess the Lego Movie also would have deserved a nomination, maybe above Big Hero 6 but I don't care either way, and think it's similarly a "fanboy/girl" selection as the computer animated movies. (And there isn't much more to select anyway.)

Overall we will not possibly agree (over the emphatic "deserved" statement - though I don't really care who wins in the end), and I am just astounded at what strange reactions one gets sometimes on the internet...

Quote:

2) It is possible that the Academy may want to give another award to Studio Ghibli.

I don't think that is a criterion or something that crosses anyone's mind in determining whether they want to give the Oscar to any Ghibli feature (or any other studio's...).

Quote:
4) Song of the Sea has a better chance than Box Trolls. I haven't seen it but like Princess Kaguya it's another critically acclaimed "artsy" animated film.

Yes, it is a kind of film that's impossible to dislike, but like the director's former film, which I think was partly hailed as a sucessor to Ghibli at the time (or maybe that were partly my hopes), there seems to be something lacking once more.

(Comparing my impression of the earlier movie to Boxtrolls, I think Boxtrolls would win over that one as well. The animation and characters are just more elaborate. But since the story isn't all that great either, I don't think it has special chances any more, and think Kaguya has better chances.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
And the Oscar goes to: Big Hero 6

Nothing from Asia, although Hayao Miyazaki got honored.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, losing to Big Hero 6. That's just sad compared to Miyazaki losing to Frozen, a film critics and audiences both liked. At least it wouldn't have hurt so much if Lego was nominated and won, but Big Hero 6?!
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Is Disney winning the animated feature Oscar supposed to be a shock? I thought it was the standard
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Unless you're definitely saying Pixar is and always has been inseparable from Disney, yeah kinda sorta. Frozen was Disney's first win.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Disney owns Pixar so same thing in my book. You still see Toy Story and all that at Disneyland, Merida is considered a Disney Princess, and all the other marketing avenues treat them as Disney characters.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
There's literally been anonymous interviews with Academy voters to the effect of "I just vote for Pixar and Disney. I don't watch cartoons." Big Hero 6 winning doesn't mean it was good, or that the other movies was bad. It means it's a Disney movie made in a country that doesn't care about animation beyond having a vague interest in Pixar and Disney.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
And Disney licensed most of Ghibli's catalog, so you can find that stuff too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
So disappointed. Big Hero 6 was just not a very good movie. Although I do find it funny that it may be the very first comic book superhero movie to win for something other than special effects or some other technical thing. So go Marvel, I guess?

I wonder if we're going to get a sequel and/or cartoon adaptation now. My nieces liked the movie, so that'd be nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4