• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spoiler Tags Guidelines discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
In my opinion the best solution for the lack of a threaded view is the use of episode numbers at the top of the posts, not spoiler tags.

Agreed. That is especially important because there are posters who will watch an illegitimate stream that is available in advance of a legal stream. I know enough to stay out of a thread of a show until I have seen the most recent episode but if some tool watches the illegal version and then posts in the discussion thread, I have no way of knowing that unless he or she heads the post with an episode number.

Really, the truly considerate thing to do would be simply not to post in a discussion thread until the legitimate episode streams but there's little point in hoping that kind of thoughtfulness catches on, I suppose.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
Ok, I see the point y'all are making. However, like Touma said, there's nothing to really lose (only to gain really) by having a spoiler warning. The thing about episode numbers is probably only a problem with heavily discussed shows since most discussion threads die down a few days after the most recent episode has aired and then get revived again once the new episode comes out. When was the last time we even had a show that was discussed throughout the week?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Ok, I see the point y'all are making. However, like Touma said, there's nothing to really lose (only to gain really) by having a spoiler warning.

No. Let's not muddy the waters, alright? No right-thinking person should ever expect that a discussion thread dedicated to a show is any way supposed to accommodate somebody who is either not caught up with it or not watching it all. An anime discussion thread is designed for people who are watching it and who can therefore discuss it. Period. Anybody who isn't caught up or hasn't watched any of it simply has to accept that if they go into an anime DISCUSSION thread they WILL see that show discussed. Period. Why should we force somebody who takes the time to start a discussion thread to add in a warning that shouldn't be needed? It's stupid. Period.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Right. Let's not be considerate of that one dude who might without thinking stumble upon a thread because... maybe he is bored. Because you know, it's not worth the 30 second effort it takes to type a warning message. Whatever.

Ok, I get it. It's not worth adding yet another rule or advice just to save that one tool who might appear once in a blue moon. I just thought it might be a good practice.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
As far as I can remember these are the only forums that I visited regularly that ever used spoiler tags in series discussions.

Ironically, this is the only forum I've ever visited regularly that is even DISCUSSING not using spoiler tags in discussion threads. Even movie post-release threads have spoilers clearly marked, and no one cares.

As I've stated before, not everyone can afford to pay to see the episodes as soon as they're available. Some people have to wait a week. Yes, they can scroll past posts that are dealing with episodes they haven't seen, but there is no reason that major spoilers should just be sitting there as they skim to see where the next post is.

It's all about courtesy and respect.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of wishful thinking to think that a person who is always a week behind could participate in the discussion anyway. Granted, I don't follow a lot of shows weekly, but I personally haven't encountered a case where there has been a guy actively participating in the discussion despite being an episode behind others.

And just for the record, I was against removing spoiler tags.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
It's all about courtesy and respect.

Exactly. There are all sorts of reasons why a poster may fall behind in episodes. It happens to me all the time (mainly the product of trying to keep abreast of two dozen currently airing shows).

However, I don't expect posters who are caught up to be affected by my schedule or circumstances. They shouldn't have to jump through spoiler tag hoops just on the off chance that I, or someone like me, gets a burning desire to read discussion of episodes that I haven't even seen yet and therefore cannot usefully contribute to the ongoing discussion. Recognizing this simple fact is a way showing courtesy and respect on my part.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not entirely convinced that a notice is required in every thread dedicated to a specific show. However, if it is decided by the mods that one is necessary, it should be stock. Something that could be copied and pasted in the first such post before discussion of the first episode.

Something like Here there be spoilers. Though perhaps a bit more involved than that. That way if an initial poster forgets the mods can "assist" him by pasting it in.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
^We could consider adding it to the standardized format for Anime Forum discussion threads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
That sounds like a good idea and over time it will filter down into the discussion threads though there will be users who will continue to use them in discussion threads in which no harm will be done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3