• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Heads Exploding... WITH KNOWLEDGE!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

A season is also 1/4 of a year so should also be that simple, but...

Cour thus far has the advantage of being used to mean exactly that, while "season" has long been used in the US television to mean something else.

Polycell wrote:
(and how many with FCC-approved broadband(1Mb/s)

The eixsting standard for broadband in the US is 4Mb/s down, 1Mb/s up:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/fcc-chair-broadband-must-be-25mbps-and-isps-are-failing-to-deliver/

If approved, the new proposal would change that to 25/3.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Blu-ray entered the market on the stronger footing: Sony had enough faith in its format to make the PS3 the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market, same as it did with the PS2.

Yeah, I remember being in the film department of UC Santa Cruz during the PS3's release. I found it pretty interesting, to say the least, that these film scholars and students were buying PS3s left and right, considering the disdain much of the department usually has for video games. (Naturally, very few actually bought any games.)

EricJ2 wrote:
Sony was perfectly content to fight with the D00dz, which didn't help Blu's image in the early days, while X-Box was famous for the "Red Ring of Death" that pretty much insured that you would only be able to use your player for two or three years at a time.

While I never got the HD-DVD add-on for my Xbox 360, I DO have a first-run machine that continues to work to this day. The red rings of death most commonly come from overheating the system. As long as it's kept in a dry, well-ventilated location, you minimize that risk.

penguintruth wrote:
Of course, then there's the people who more appropriately break DB and DBZ into "arcs" (or as "sagas", ignoring what that means as a narrative convention), though even Toei doesn't even know where one arc begins and another ends. People have been so cowed by the "sagas" thing, even when VHS fansubs were going around, you had people labeling tapes with "Imperfect Cell Saga" or "Gotenks Saga". Do YOU know when the Freeza arc officially begins and when it ends? Is the stuff with Raditz, Vegeta, and Nappa part of the overall Freeza arc or is it its own arc? It all depends on where you draw the lines.

I always had the impression that a saga was made up of one or more arcs. That's how it works for One Piece, at least.

Romance Dawn arc + Captain Morgan arc + Buggy arc + Kuro arc + Arlong arc + Don Krieg arc + Loguetown arc = East Blue saga

Reverse Mountain arc or Laboon arc + Whiskey Peak arc + Little Garden arc + Drum Island arc + Alabasta arc = Baroque Works saga (though some would consider the Drum island story a saga within a saga)

Jaya arc + Skypeia arc = Skypeia saga

Davy Back arc = Davy Back saga

And so forth. That's how it goes. I think that Dragon Ball Z could be more easily segmented into arcs within sagas, though the part with Gotenks is way too short and inconsequential, to me, to be a full arc on its own. Rather, I think the Cell saga is best split up based on the identity of the antagonist at that point (with each power-up of Cell being the start of another arc), as THOSE are major turning points in the story.

enurtsol wrote:
Blu-ray has more content protections than HD-DVD - and ya know how big studios like content protection. The studios gradually saw that "feature" then a light-bulb lit on their heads, so they eventually realized that Blu-ray is the one that has to be backed.

And so it will be on the next format wars (if there is a next format or war). Rest assured that the format chosen will be the one with the more content protections. Studios don't care about consumers; they care more about protecting their contents. Still people will follow where the content goes; it's not like they have a choice (going to other format with nothing in it). Just ya watch. Laughing

That would've pretty much doom the HD-DVD, considering it was decrypted almost as soon as the format came out, then the decryption key was posted all over the Internet. The MPAA never stood a chance. Supposedly, the MPAA poured US$1 billion to making an uncrackable code, but I can't find the article where I read that.

Also, was VHS more secure than Betamax? Certainly, the MPAA attempted to stop VCR production too.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Also, was VHS more secure than Betamax? Certainly, the MPAA attempted to stop VCR production too.

That had nothing to do with security. The MPAA was arguing that off-air recording of television programs constituted copyright infringement. Eventually the case made it to the Supreme Court where Justice Stevens ruled that off-air taping of programming that included commercials was not infringing. The expansion of commercial exposures by "time-shifting" compensated for the "harm" (a technical term in copyright litigation) resulting from the infringement. There was also the finding that VCR technology had other purposes besides off-air taping so infringement was not the sole rationale for the technology. That same argument has been extended to Bittorrent but was used to make services like Napster and Grokster illegal because they had no real purpose other than facilitating infringement.

The "Betamax" decision is often misunderstood as granting consumers unlimited rights to record television programming. Stevens's decision is much more narrow and specifically excluded services like HBO and cable channels. While it may appear that off-air recording is now fully legitimated, it is still the subject of litigation as in the Cablevision case.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Blu-ray entered the market on the stronger footing: Sony had enough faith in its format to make the PS3 the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market, same as it did with the PS2.

Yeah, I remember being in the film department of UC Santa Cruz during the PS3's release. I found it pretty interesting, to say the least, that these film scholars and students were buying PS3s left and right, considering the disdain much of the department usually has for video games. (Naturally, very few actually bought any games.)

Although I had a long history with the Sega Genesis in college Cool I bought the PS3 for the same reason the film buffs did:
In 2007, it was the only popular-priced Blu-ray player that WORKED. Period.

(Meanwhile, the anti-Blu Haterz, and frustrated owners of Sony's mass-market standalone Blu player, would routinely post videos of how it took the Sony SD300 20 minutes to load up the menu for Pirates of the Caribbean 2, as "proof" that Blu, like UltraHD, was a "studio conspiracy" disaster that should never have happened.
To which we PS3 owners would heckle the entire punish-Blu movement with "Oh, man, it took my PS3 thirty whole seconds to load up this menu!")

Of course, the free software upgrade to Blu3D two years later didn't hurt either. Very Happy

Last edited by EricJ2 on Thu May 21, 2015 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, it was also the cheapest easily available Blu-Ray player too. Nevertheless, it always stood out to me because, having played video games for so long, it felt weird to be constantly hearing people talk of the PS3 as strictly a Blu-Ray player and nothing else. (I didn't hear a word about the PS3's other non-gaming related functions, for that matter.)

yuna49 wrote:
That had nothing to do with security. The MPAA was arguing that off-air recording of television programs constituted copyright infringement.

Oh, okay then. I thought the argument was that there was nothing to prevent people from recording movies shown on TV and that the VCR was going to kill the home video market.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
Besides, the Betamax was the better quality but lost anyways
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4