• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Show By Rock!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
SB69A was good overall, but I feel the AU plot combined with its short length made it less than what it could have been. A longer series that takes place in the same universe as the game, with all 20 bands and no ongoing story, would have been better.

This AU plot we got would have worked better with 20-something episodes. All the drama was solved way too quickly. It either should have been longer, or they should have focused on the main plot the entire time to make the pacing better.

My second problem with SB69A is that the majority of the characters didn't appear at all. So many bands I love didn't have any sort of appearance outside of their logo being on a wall or ceiling. I can imagine people whose favorite band is one of the main 5 enjoyed the series more, but for me, who loves a lot of bands that didn't appear in the anime, I was a little disappointed.

I'm still confused as to why Shabobon and Turtle BIG didn't appear alongside Wendy and Corriente in episode 5. When the episode aired, I had assumed it was being they didn't have UR cards (which for those who don't know, are the only appearance of human forms in the game), so it wouldn't make sense to have half the band in human form and the other half in myumon form.

But then episode 7 came along and proved that no, that couldn't have been the reason Shabobon and Turtle weren't in episode 5. Because they had no problem having Marimari and Tsugihagi in human form (and by the way, why was Tsugihagi in human form when he doesn't have a UR yet?!) and Duradura, Monmon, and Gashigashi in myumon form. So clearly that wasn't the reason. So what WAS the reason? I'm still pretty pissed that Shabobon and Turtle BIG weren't in episode 5, because there was no reason for them to not be, because clearly not having a UR doesn't have to do with it.

Speaking of Marimari, it was a MAJOR disappointment that she wasn't voiced by Marie Ueda. I get that it would have been hard to get her due to contracts and crap, but in that case, why have Shinimonogurui in the anime at all? See, the Show By Rock game has nine bands based on real Japanese musicians, and Shinimonogurui are one of them, their music is provided by Japanese singer/guitarist/lyricist/composer Marie Ueda, who's quickly become one of my favorite musicians thanks to SB69 introducing me to her (check out her stuff, it's great, here's one of the songs that's in SB69!).

So when episode 6 had the preview for episode 7 and we saw Marimari, I was super hyped because I was looking forward to hearing Marie Ueda voicing her character in the anime! Only to be extremely disappointed when Marimari was instead voiced by some no-name seiyuu. Pro-tip: Don't have a tie-up band appear if you can't get the real musician(s) they're based on onto your show. It only leads to fans being disappointed.

And the last problem, which is admittedly a nitpick, they just chose random bosses from the game instead of ones that actually go with the bands. But again, that one's a nitpick.

7.5/10. Would be 6.5 if it weren't for all the rewards we got in the game.

SB69A could have been better. I wish it was better. It's just an alright adaption.

Last edited by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
This show never failed to make me smile Very Happy (it also makes me want to buy nenderoids) I wish it could've been a 2-cour show instead of just a single, that way the characters and plot could've been better developed, and more time for awesomely cute CG concerts! Cool

I think I might go try to find some info on the game now.

Also, thank you for the reviews Amy! Very Happy
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
A number of sources misreported this as being 13 episodes, so I wasn’t expecting a finale going in. For the most part, I thought the big showdown with Dagger was visually-striking and well-choreographed, but that doesn’t change the fact that we have no idea what he is. I mean, they didn’t even need to give him a complex backstory – just tell us SOMETHING. Like Amy, I thought it was odd (and alarmingly shortsighted) that our heroes let him squirm away after his defeat. I also found it strange that the finale tried to pass off the series as Cyan’s journey, when she was arguably the most emotionally-stable member of Plasmagica, and as such, underwent the least character development. Honestly, right up until the final scene, I had forgotten about the shyness she displayed in the first episode.

Narratively, the show became kind of a mess when they began setting the stage for the final battle, but the parts that worked, worked well. I agree with the sentiment that was frequently expressed in the reviews: Show By Rock!! worked best when it kept things simple.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
PetitePuff wrote:
This show never failed to make me smile Very Happy (it also makes me want to buy nenderoids) I wish it could've been a 2-cour show instead of just a single, that way the characters and plot could've been better developed, and more time for awesomely cute CG concerts! Cool

I think I might go try to find some info on the game now.

Also, thank you for the reviews Amy! Very Happy

You should totally get the game, it's a ton of fun and the music is great. For iOS, you need to get a Japanese iTunes account, and for Android, you need to download QooApp and get it from there.

Me and several others run a Tumblr blog to help people figure out the game, which you can find here:

http://sb69eng.tumblr.com/

We have gameplay guides and answer any questions people may have.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode #12:

The ending moments of the episode, with Hijirikawa Cyan being an angel and all, were both tacky IMO, and had a better dramatic presence than Hyakuya Yūichirō's spoiler[half-angel] moment in Owari no Seraph.

Other than that, nice fight (visually, less so from a story perspective, but still OK). I liked that Grateful King's face wasn't revealed; just like with not seeing the shark in Jaws or the creatures in Penumbra: Overture. it helps building the suspense.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Very happy with the series despite all the issues. Not the best it could have been but it was still fun. With Cyan leaving to go join a school band I`m pretty sure any possible next anime would be ignoring this universe completely.

The wings are basically explained in the game. As the bands level up their sprites change, and many bands get wings and such for their final level.

Finally the show had an actual adult scene, and it really wasn`t worth choosing to act like this show needs to be kept from kids. I was entertained by the glass punctured Maple.

Definitely agree one of the worst things for fans would have to be the dark monster jumble. It`s not like they picked bands that have weird monsters like Baiganba V who seem to fight their leader. Of course I`m only a fan from the start of this show, and now have been playing the game the whole time.

As far as Dagger, I think Grateful king let out the mystery with his insult. Since the small weird blob shot out that puff of gas, I think Dagger really is a jellyfish. It seems that since they made the two characters specifically for this anime they didn`t really want to move them out of a mystery role.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, he was a jelly jellyfish. Smile Although his final form somehow reminded me of the spermy things the Radiator Lady kept stepping on in Eraserhead. >.<

I kinda expected him to be suddenly good since Cyan seemed to purify his Melodisian stone, but I guess he just became petty instead of the pure-D evil he had been.

It was fun while it lasted, and wrapped just fine. The only thing I'm disappointed with is that they never really did anything with Moa's being an alien so we never found out what she was supposed to be investigating.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The throwaway gag about Maple's handsome human appearance at the end raises more questions about the show's other principal characters. Most of the time, they appear as human beings with animal ears, but when they're onstage, they look just like Midi City's other chibi-sized denizens. At times, it seemed like the key players were always tiny anthropomorphs, and the audience was simply seeing them as people. However, Maple's impromptu transformation would suggest that the characters were able to change their appearances at will.

I kept going back and forth on this, too! However, since Angelica actually acknowledged Maple's transformation, I'm now going to assume that the gang could change their appearances at will. Not sure if the same is true for the rest of that world's inhabitants, though.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Quote:
The throwaway gag about Maple's handsome human appearance at the end raises more questions about the show's other principal characters. Most of the time, they appear as human beings with animal ears, but when they're onstage, they look just like Midi City's other chibi-sized denizens. At times, it seemed like the key players were always tiny anthropomorphs, and the audience was simply seeing them as people. However, Maple's impromptu transformation would suggest that the characters were able to change their appearances at will.

I kept going back and forth on this, too! However, since Angelica actually acknowledged Maple's transformation, I'm now going to assume that the gang could change their appearances at will. Not sure if the same is true for the rest of that world's inhabitants, though.

In the game everyone is a myumon most of the time, with the human forms just being a bonus on the UR cards. I'm not sure what exactly the explanation for it is, Cyan said Plasmagica members become humans when excited in a promotional video but I don't know if that applies all the characters.

The anime on the other hand, it's really weird. I wonder why they decided to make them in human form the majority of the time in the first place.

Maple's human form comes from his UR, which is only available from a unique code (like think iTunes cards, which have a code that can be used only once) from the Joysound campaign, so only people with access to a Japanese Joysound karaoke machine can get the card. The card is objectively the worst card in the game, only one soul in each color, can't be leveled up at all (all other URs go up to level 50), and its passive ability does nothing but make the judgement tighter. UR+ cards with the fever x3 ability do this too with the judgement, but that's because they'd be too OP otherwise. But leading with the Maple UR does nothing but make the game harder.

JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
If my choices were "strapping human being" and "mustachioed egg," I'd probably stick exclusively with the former, but to each their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7