• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Funimation License Shows They Won't Dub?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I've seen that brought up multiple times in this thread but I have to ask when has it been said that if a title gets a save edition its because it didn't sell well? I've always been under the impression that save edition are cheap bare-bones rereleases of older titles for people who want just that, most of funimations catalog has a save release and I find it hard to believe that most of their titles don't sell well. Unless those save releases are essentially unsold disks from the initial release packaged in a barebones case and sold dirt cheap to clear out excess stock but surely that can't be for every save edition because many of them are from popular titles right?

I'm no expert though haha

Believe it or not they have plenty of extras. Michiko to Hatchin has a lot of extras on it's S.A.V.E. release.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Different question: Why do some companies (like Funi) send C&Ds to fansub groups over shows they will never finish? They send them over Conan still even though they have no plans to sub past like episode 150. Why does it bother them if someone subs 700? They aren't going to do it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:

Believe it or not they have plenty of extras. Michiko to Hatchin has a lot of extras on it's S.A.V.E. release.

True. I don't think the content changes for SAVE or Classic releases. ADV's cheaper thinpak releases wouldn't have as many extras, which I think was some sort of effort to encourage people to buy the single volumes rather than wait for those sets. But considering the price difference at the time, missing out on some extras was worth the savings.
MilkFish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Okay, but this article doesn't really explain why Sentai Filmworks released Glasslip (an abysmal piece of garbage) on blu-ray but hasn't even touched Cross Ange (an actually successful show). Not that I trust them to dub Cross Ange, but at least release it on blu-ray, come on!
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:
Why do some companies (like Funi) send C&Ds to fansub groups over shows they will never finish?

I am not certain but I think that they are just acting as agents for the Japanese companies that they work with.
I think that we had a story not too long ago about Funimation enforcing trademarks for the Japanese.

MilkFish wrote:
Okay, but this article doesn't really explain why Sentai Filmworks released Glasslip ... on blu-ray ...

The article is about Funimation and dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MilkFish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

It also brought up why companies will license certain bad shows in order to get a hold good shows, so I was concerned about why a company possessing those licenses may choose to release the bad over the good.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:
Different question: Why do some companies (like Funi) send C&Ds to fansub groups over shows they will never finish? They send them over Conan still even though they have no plans to sub past like episode 150. Why does it bother them if someone subs 700? They aren't going to do it.

Ummmm because fansubs are illegal?
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
MilkFish wrote:
Touma wrote:

It also brought up why companies will license certain bad shows in order to get a hold good shows, so I was concerned about why a company possessing those licenses may choose to release the bad over the good.

The streaming numbers are the data that they will look at. Quality is objective, numbers are hard fact. If they have a certain threshold they need to reach to consider dubbing something or releasing it on Blu-ray, and they reach that threshold across the season, then even if a show is absolute garbage they could easily decide to give it a higher-quality release than it objectively deserves.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
I'm also a dub only viewer and I believe that it's just perfectly fine if Funimation releases some sub only shows on DVD if they know that they won't make there money back if they dub said show, As for me I'm waiting for Funimation's home video release of Yuri Kuma Arashi which premiered in January so I'm expecting Funi to announce something in early 2016, the second they do I'm preordering the Limited Edition! Very Happy
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
True. I don't think the content changes for SAVE or Classic releases.
It does sometimes. BakaTest 2 SAVE came out DVD-only without the Japanese extras that were on the initial LE BD/DVD-combo release that was in print for about three months. Sorry, still bitter about that one because there was no standard edition at the initial release and no indication of what direction the future releases would take.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
MilkFish wrote:

There's any number of potential reasons. To begin with, Glasslip was one cour and started earlier than Cross Ange, which was two cours. Glasslip was also done as a relatively basic sub-only release, whereas Cross Ange is likely getting a bit of effort put into it, including possibly a dub. Both good reasons why Glasslip would see a release first.

Also, I wouldn't call Glasslip abysmal garbage. It's not brilliant, but far from what I would call actually bad.
thecritter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:40 am Reply with quote
I find it difficult to care about Funimation's rationales about dubs when they've turned out some of the most execrable crap of anyone in the industry. I (being old and somewhat buried in the past) find it absolutely impossible to get past the abominations that are the dubs for Tenchi Muyo! OAV 3 and Tenchi Muyo! GXP. They serve as object lessons for how to never match voices with characters. They were perfunctory, pitifully edited, sloppy, often with scripts that simply didn't match characters or the action, and pathetically amateurish. Screw Funimation dubs.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And while I do like dubbed anime (especially it is well done), it is very smart on Funimation part to take care of their money and not dub titles that will not sell well. I, like others here, do however hope that older titles like the interesting The Tatami Galaxy get at least sub only releases.

I've been watching a lot of English audio tracks lately, mostly because my son has taken an interest. I wish that Tatami Galaxy had a dub, it would be so interesting to see how they cast the main character. I would 1000% for sure double dip on that. Sucks not being able to show my friends it because my discs lack subtitles.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

There's any number of potential reasons. To begin with, Glasslip was one cour and started earlier than Cross Ange, which was two cours. Glasslip was also done as a relatively basic sub-only release, whereas Cross Ange is likely getting a bit of effort put into it, including possibly a dub. Both good reasons why Glasslip would see a release first.

Also, I wouldn't call Glasslip abysmal garbage. It's not brilliant, but far from what I would call actually bad.

I haven't seen much of Cross Ange but I can totally see that it would suit the mainstream taste more than Glasslip. Shame because Glasslip is fabulous in my eyes. I really love the staff behind it.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
I assume there aren't any anime fans out there for who a lack of a dub is a dealbreaker, right?

I know it's an unpopular viewpoint, but I personally think dubs are for TV audiences, children, and the illiterate. Not saying that there aren't some great dubs (apparently the Kill la Kill dub is great), but I just think anime, like foreign language films, are best in the original language.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:30 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Huh, I thought those "take this C-list title or else" licensing package deals were a bygone relic of the bubble days. Not so much, I guess.

Most recent confirmed package deal I know of (although not necessarily a "C-list") is Prisma Illya which Anime Limited got bundled in with Blood Lad.

WingKing wrote:
Or A Good Librarian Like A Good Shepherd, which was the first one I thought of when Justin mentioned bundling licenses because that never felt to me like the kind of show Funi would typically pick up. I'd be shocked if that one got a dub.

The Ur Example I always think of when it comes to "they licensed WHAT?" for FUNimation is Mamotte Lollipop (just check the comments.)

ArmyofDarkness wrote:
I'm more curious of when they stream a show, then haven't done anything with it since. Wheres my twin tails Funi?!

Some of their simulcasts are streaming-only, and they don't always choose to go back and get the physical rights. I know there is at least one example of them specifically stating they had decided not to option physical rights, but I can't remember what it was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6